LED trailer lights

Hi all we run a fleet consisting of Volvo, Renault and Iveco and the trailers that we run mostly have LED lights fitted to them and on the Iveco it throws up a bulb fault every time you put on the indicator or foot brake etc. have been told it is because they don’t draw enough power so the unit thinks a bulb has blown does anybody know of a solution to sort the problem as Iveco seem to want 700+vat to sort it with a new interface

help appreciated
charlie

I had it with some dennison skelly with led scania fitted a marker light on both sides with a bulb in that sorted mine out hope it helps

Some 6.8 ohm high wattage resistors could help. But you’d have them connected parralel to every LED on trailer. If it would be just one trailer then problem sorted with a bit of work done. But if its whole fleet of trailers… One resistor costs around 2 quid. Its same problem as with motorbikes when you swapping standard indicators with LED ones. All depends of how many Ivecos and how many trailers are. Then you can calculate.

on the newer Volvos you can disable trailer detection thru the menus however ive seen trailer led`s still on with the lights off and keys out as there is still 3 volts coming down the suzi WTF■■? its a pain in the ■■■■ fitting resistors or a 21w bulb inline but it cures the problem…

Ok thanks very much do you know what wattage resistors are needed and also if an led did fail while the resistors are fitted would the computer come up with the fault or still think everything is fine

Cheers Charlie

The higher wattage- better. 25-50W. No when LED fail it shouldn’t come up on the computer. But i maybe wrong.

You sure about that value? 6.8 Ohms @ 24V is 84 watts of power/3.5amps of current, and you need 21watts/0.8amps. A 25W resistor will die pretty ■■■■ quick pulling that kinda current. Iveco also have overcurrent protection and will shut down that circuit if its pulling more than it should, resulting in no lights at all. (On the units at least).

Having done LED conversions on the units themselves directly for Iveco UK I have found the right values… 21watt functions need a 22ohm/50watt resistor, 10 watt needs a 50ohm/25watt resistor, and 5 watt functions need a 100ohm/25watt resistor. All power ratings on resistors over-specced for reliability.

ok to confirm if the brake lights for example were 21 watt I would need a 22ohm 55watt resistor and if the side lights were 5 watt I would need a 100 ohm 25 watt resistor ?

cheers

boyesadabest:
ok to confirm if the brake lights for example were 21 watt I would need a 22ohm 55watt resistor and if the side lights were 5 watt I would need a 100 ohm 25 watt resistor ?

cheers

Correct sir. Just keep in mind that these are just plain resistors… If your LED lamp fails, the resistor will pull current regardless, so you won’t get bulb failure warning even if you have a genuine failur

Ok thanks is there away it will flash up if there is a led fault

Cheers

Yes, there are ‘intelligent’ loading modules. Basically its a resistor with a circuit that monitors current draw of the LED lamp. If the lamp fails, then it takes the resistor out of the circuit so the unit sees a significant drop in current and so flags up a failed bulb. Good news is though that legally, its only the indicators that need failure warning, so you could still use bog standard resistors on stop/side/fog/reverse lights

Ok thanks would you be able to send a link of where I could find these ‘intelligent’ resistors

semtex65:
You sure about that value? 6.8 Ohms @ 24V is 84 watts of power/3.5amps of current, and you need 21watts/0.8amps. A 25W resistor will die pretty ■■■■ quick pulling that kinda current. Iveco also have overcurrent protection and will shut down that circuit if its pulling more than it should, resulting in no lights at all. (On the units at least).

Having done LED conversions on the units themselves directly for Iveco UK I have found the right values… 21watt functions need a 22ohm/50watt resistor, 10 watt needs a 50ohm/25watt resistor, and 5 watt functions need a 100ohm/25watt resistor. All power ratings on resistors over-specced for reliability.

You’re right with that. I completely forgot about 24v in trucks and wattage of bulbs.

I was told using a normal bulb in the numberplate light (as in not an led light) would sort faults coming up?

Depends on the unit. Daf & Scania you’d get away with it, not Iveco or Merc though

You can rig relays (a lot of relays) and load resistors up so the bulb out still functions correctly if an LED is out on an Iveco. All down to whether it’s worth the effort - it isn’t in my view but I’ve done it to make a race trailer look pretty in the past.

As said adding one filament bulb won’t work on an Iveco. If you run a mainly Iveco fleet I would just swap back to bulbs on the trailers and flog the LEDs on ebay.

Could you use a bypass relay like you do for wiring towbars on cars?

mucker85:

In short, no.

semtex65:

mucker85:

In short, no.

Ok, just thinking out loud.

Another thought. Is resistors have to be fitted, rather than fitting them to all trailers would it be do-able to fit them to the suzies on the Ivecos?