Fearns Tankers , Barnsley

I remember Eric Lill. He was Operations Manager and set me on as a Transport Coordinator in 1988. He went on to become part of the team including Tim ■■? and Gordon Guest and Alistair ■■? whoe had a management buyout form Lambson group, afterwhich it all went down hill. They sold the premises and moved to a lease in Morley, then sold all the Mercs and MAN’s (from Cleveland Truck and Van) and leased second hand ERF’s - all petregs this time.

Eric Young (HCl tanker) Brian Hoyland, David Johnston (Nitric - did the Irish runs), Chris Panther (actually walked like one), Allan Goddard (insisted on nights out to avoid his wife), Arthur Keeling (Toluene), ALAN WOOD (the Union Rep?)

Fitters: Geoff Ball (bought my Honda Goldwing), Peter Cunningham (Workshop Manager (hello Peter)), Peter Crawshaw (aka “Dubber” - never knew why - help?).

I left in 1993, after a pay cut (what was that all about?). Then I don’t know what happened. Not happy!

Nick

FERNS LEYLAND 400.jpg
FERNS MERCEDES.jpg

tobytyke:

The Biker:
I remember them as well they sold up and i think him and his son have a motor each running euro.

There was an article in Truck & Driver last year.

yeah Richard the son had just bought a brand new scania V8 580 last time i saw him at driffield Truckfest, Stephen the dad was running a Renault Magnum at one point but i not seen either of them in a year or so.

HOW DO mate i am new to the site and havin a flick thru i used to have a drink or two in the Jockey at Dodworth Steven used to get in there with his mate IAN GIBSON RAY Mick my mate worked for him Alan Sixsmith he worked with me at Myatts/Mason before i went to JB Myatt glad i joined this site you all do a good job keep it up.RAY

Shunter of the Month!

IMG_0021.jpg

hi there did anyone know les rugley he went on fearns in mid to late 80s he come from crow carrying co im writing a book on crows and would like to get in touch with him
if hes still alive ?
regards clint york ex tankfright driver

Stealth trucker:
I remember Eric Lill. He was Operations Manager and set me on as a Transport Coordinator in 1988. He went on to become part of the team including Tim ■■? and Gordon Guest and Alistair ■■? whoe had a management buyout form Lambson group, afterwhich it all went down hill. They sold the premises and moved to a lease in Morley, then sold all the Mercs and MAN’s (from Cleveland Truck and Van) and leased second hand ERF’s - all petregs this time.

Eric Young (HCl tanker) Brian Hoyland, David Johnston (Nitric - did the Irish runs), Chris Panther (actually walked like one), Allan Goddard (insisted on nights out to avoid his wife), Arthur Keeling (Toluene), ALAN WOOD (the Union Rep?)

Fitters: Geoff Ball (bought my Honda Goldwing), Peter Cunningham (Workshop Manager (hello Peter)), Peter Crawshaw (aka “Dubber” - never knew why - help?).

I left in 1993, after a pay cut (what was that all about?). Then I don’t know what happened. Not happy!

Nick

Eric had his own place at Morley in the mid-90’s, now Williams, Wincanton bought him out, he did the same trick with the motors, sold them to lease co and leased em back, I was only a kid then doing a bit of security between jobs, he promised if I passed my artic he’d sort me out, why oh why didn’t I take him up on his offer.

Can anyone else recall Fearns Tankers of Barnsley ? they used too run chemicals allover the UK with predominantly green & red livery, they seemed too have loads of tractor units based just off J37 M1 plus a little haulage yard nearby too. I can remember them having Dafs, Scania & Mans in there fleet mainly, and the owner steven used too have a 1930s Leyland tanker to shows etc…i know him and his son richard still attend Truckfests etc …I can’t recall the name of the company that bought them out now but they ran after in all white liverys.

tobytyke:
Can anyone else recall Fearns Tankers of Barnsley ? they used too run chemicals allover the UK with predominantly green & red livery, they seemed too have loads of tractor units based just off J37 M1 plus a little haulage yard nearby too. I can remember them having Dafs, Scania & Mans in there fleet mainly, and the owner steven used too have a 1930s Leyland tanker to shows etc…i know him and his son richard still attend Truckfests etc …I can’t recall the name of the company that bought them out now but they ran after in all white liverys.

remember them quite well, especially the lengths of armco they fixed to the tanker sides as a bit of protection - no idea who they sold out to though

I remember them as well they sold up and i think him and his son have a motor each running euro.

The Biker:

yeah Richard the son had just bought a brand new scania V8 580 last time i saw him at driffield Truckfest, Stephen the dad was running a Renault Magnum at one point but i not seen either of them in a year or so.

Were they bought out by Lambsons who had a chemical plant in Castleford. I think they got swallowed up by DH Hell

tobytyke:

I seem to remember Wincantons took them over at some point , then got caught for dodgy maintanence. Winacntons then sold all their chemical tanker fleet to Suttons who had the same problem…

Eyup Tobytyke.Aye I remember Fearns back in late 60’s/early 70’s when I was working for A E Evans ,Regent Transport tankers out of Sheffield(but that’s another story-my bloody arms still ache now).Fearns did a lot of work for Staveley Chemicals Chesterfield both acids and hydrocarbons.They ran empty North-east a lot and picked up crude benzole from BSC coking ovens and also more local places like Orgreave and Brookhouse which were closer to Sheffield and tipped at Staveley.They were 8-leggers Atkis I think and long wheelbase,and those drivers didn’t have neets out.The acid tank men had Atkis as well I think but they had nights out as the Staveley Chem drivers didn’t want 'em(until work got short!)The local wagons were painted yellow and the acid rigs were green with quite a nice paint job.
Wincanton bought 'em out in the 90’s and I was working for them at Maltby ,Rotherham then(and that’s another story an all!)Some of my old mates were at Fearns at the takeover and not happy at all with Wincanton ways-neither was I at Maltby.
I don’t know about maintenance issues with Wincanton/Fearns but I was a shunter at Maltby on a fridge contract and Winc were ■■■■ hot when it came to servicing/Mot’s and defects.Mind you the readdies were crap but you couldn’t pick and choose yer jobs then.
Hope this helps.
Keep yer bowels open

Cool, nice memorys lol…

road-ranger:

coca cola kid:
Hi Road Ranger, First of all there were two parts to Fearns, Fearns Tankers & Fearns Transport which was the Flat beds, As i remember the Atkinson in the first picture is HWB 216 N when it was new, I drove this for a short time after it was repainted later in life with yellow flashes up the sides, do you remember them, HWB 216N was the second truck to be painted white & blue with the parent company name of Lambson, More on this if your interested let me know.

Back to the fleet: 2 Atkinson, 1 Seddon-Atkinson, 3 Volvo F88, 1 Daf, 1 Roman, 1 Fiat 170NT 2 Scania 111, & loads of Man’s

I moved on to Lambson Group, after that Stephen Fearn was left with part of the Transport side & the tankers were bought out by Wincanton, they closed Dodworth & moved to Morley, After that Wincanton sold out to Suttons. Cheers Mel

thanks for that about the atki. i will put it on the back of the photo. its a good pic to see what atkis had when new when it comes to restoring them. i dont remember them myself bit before my time. my dad dose tho, do you recall a chap called Frank Beevers from wath? dad says he think that chap used to work for fearns? then moved to the ncb at manvers. he seems to think they used to have more atki’s too? or Brit trucks?

Just been reading these posts.
Frank Beevers was happily retired in wath last time I saw him. Worked with him until he retired a few years ago in the steelworks at Aldwarke.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Stealth trucker:

Nick

Worked with Allan Goddard until he passed away suddenly 2 years ago nearly. Nice bloke.
He often reminisced about fearns.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

From a Thompson-brochure

IMG_4220.JPG

And from a Dutch collectors-forum the Roman

Fearn-Roman.jpeg

Here’s a couple more, Scammell and Volvo

42588.jpg

Hi to you all, I worked for Fearns Tankers, late seventy’s early eighty’s Before joining Lambson Group, Worked with some great characters at both places, Then in 83 I fell for the DREAM with Norman Lewis, left a lot of mates at Fearns & Lambsons but made many more working at NLT Many Thanks to all staff & drivers of all three, for my memories. The coca cola kid ( Mel Haynes )