Jack Butterworth, "Albion Jack"

The old wagon scene lost a prominent character on Thursday last week with the passing of Jack Butterworth, of Littleborough. Jack was well known as a dedicated Albion man, having driven them for many years with Ripponden and District, and latterly owning and restoring one of his own. This was a model FT21N, registration number HSR 112, which Jack bought from Cawthornes of Darton (Majestic Motors) in 1989, and restored with the help of friends over the following couple of years. After a period in the livery of Land’s of Barnsley, Ripponden Motors sponsored a repaint into their colours. Jack rallied this lorry extensively for several more years, and was a member of the Albion Foundation at Biggar. As well as a long life on the road, Jack had an extensive photographic collection, and was an excellent modeller and also a poet. His last journey will be as he wanted it, on the back of an Albion.
Here is one of his own poems, very fitting at this sad time:
A DRIVER’S LAMENT - by Jack Butterworth.

Remember me when I have gone
as the driver of an Albion.
Of all the things I might have done,
I chose to drive an Albion.

A Scots built lorry, never beat,
Seen down every British street.
Of all the things I might have done,
I chose to drive an Albion.

A lorry driver of today
Would look at one and turn away.
He wouldn’t look on it as fun
If he’d to drive an Albion.

And when at last I’m laid to rest
My time on earth is done
Remember that I drove the best

• I drove an Albion.

I’ve nothing really to regret,
And now my course is run
I pray that you will not forget

• I drove an Albion.

Rest in peace, my friend,

• Fodenway.

Jack started work at Ripponden in 1966. I worked with him from then until he retired in about 1996. After he retired I spent many a Sunday morning over at his house and always enjoyed our chats, which always turned to Albions after a very short time !! :smiley: In fact the last time I spoke to him in hospital, two days before he passed away, the conversation was mostly about our time at " the District " and Albions.
It’s often an over-used phrase, but Jack really was " one of lifes true gentlemen ". He was a true friend and will be sadly missed.

Regards.John.

RIP Jack

RIP ‘’ ALBION JACK ‘’ read his poems in Alan Spilletts books. Condolences to his family.

Jack Albion Jack Butterworth. Old Time Lorries,TruckNetUK,Saturday,3rd October,2015.

I remember Jack Butterworth,and met him several times at historic motor vehicle rallies over the years.He was a friendly and chatty man…
a nice chap. He named his restored and preserved Albion FT21N,Dropside-bodied,4x2 Lorry,HSR 112,CHRISSIE,after his wife,Chrissie - she and
Jack will now be re-united as husband and wife forevermore in Heaven-The Other World. I believe in Life After Death.He’ll be driving Albions just for fun (as he did at motor vehicle rallies) in the Elysian Fields now too! :smiley:
Mind you,one of the last times I saw Jack he driving an Atkinson! :slight_smile: :The Richardson family’s beautiful Atkinson L1586,Flat-bodied,Rigid
Eight-Wheeler Lorry,WMP 63…Jack,who was retired,was a Commercial Vehicle Enthusiast and he said to me,referring to his Albion and other historic lorries,“Driving these lorries,what a wonderful way to spend your retirement”…
Speaking of the Atkinson L1586,WMP 63,Jack and Peter Davies did an historic comparative road test feature article for the Truck & Driver magazine
sometime around 1995,road testing this Atkinson alongside the preserved Bowater AEC Mammoth Major Eight MKIII,Flat-bodied,Rigid Eight-Wheeler Lorry,MUL 668 (I think it was this AEC,but it could have been a different lorry).
I also recall Jack talking about The Whispering Giant,Albion’s top line heavyweight rigid eight-wheeler lorry model,the HD57L - he introduced me
to the great The Whispering Giant nickname :smiley: - not to be confused with this great nickname - The Whispering Wonder:Matchless Silver Hawk V4 Motorcycle :slight_smile:

Albion FT21N,Dropside-bodied,4x2 Lorry,HSR 112,CHRISSIE,I think this is a petrol-engined lorry:-

flickr.com/photos/60776318@N03/14114248434

I wonder if Jack is pleased with my great Albion model TruckNetUK username… :wink: :laughing: :smiley:

VALKYRIE

R.I.P. Jack,from a former Albion owner/driver. :frowning:

A very nice man and a pleasure to talk to on the rally scene. Another old stalwart with a wealth of knowledge passes away. Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. Jack.

RIP. Jim.

I was very sad to hear that Jack has passed away.
I was speaking to Alan Spillett the other day, and it was Alan who informed me of Jacks death.
I was shocked.
I had not spoken to Jack for some time as I too have had serious health problems. I didn`t know that he was ill.
I first met Jack at the Commercial Vehicle show at Gaydon some 13 years ago and remained in touch with him from then on.
We exchanged photos on a regular basis, and have in my possession some poems that he wrote, mainly about his love of Albion vehicles.
Jack made me a model of a Leyland Octopus like the one my Dad used to drive, which I will for ever treasure.
I will miss you Jack. :cry:
Rest in Peace.

Garry.