London - Brighton 01/05/05

Here’s a few photo’s I took today, there’s not many because although I got more memory on my camera I forgot the batteries :stuck_out_tongue:

Marvelous wagons, and good photos mate… We used to be able to build ■■■■ fine motors back in the day eh?

Some nice pics there bob :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

the 2nd one down the morris’s of shrewsbury sentinal is that the one of salvage squad■■?

simon

Love those steamers! Just out of curiosity-when did steam trucks last actually work the roads in Britain? I know that they were still being produced up until the mid 20’s, but how long did they keep working? Were they more useful during the war when other fuels were not available? Did they last past the days of rationing?

FWIW, steam vehicles were rare in the US, outside of the few Stanley Steamer cars made here. Steam powered farm tractors were common enough, but not steam trucks.

Great pic’s Bob Fairbrother :smiley:

Alexx I did a search on google today to try and find a date for you, but there was not much imformation to be had. What I did find was that a milling company ran Sentinel’s untill 1945 then changed to a fleet of Bedfords, and that the Commercial Motor magazine did a road test in 1950 on an Argentinian export model. I think they were finished as ordinary U.K. haulage vehicles by the late 1940’s but I am sure someone will know more.

bob

Bibby’s were still running Sentinels well into the fifties in Liverpool.

marky:
Bibby’s were still running Sentinels well into the fifties in Liverpool.

And apparently their last Atkinson steamer made it up to 1953…

As a kid, that used to be our Yearly outing as a family… The London to Brighton Commercial Vehicle Run…

We’d start in Battersea Park, then follow them down to brighton… dads got Hundreds of phots… I’l have to scan some… :unamused: :unamused:

Great pics Bob