Sentinel Lorries Shrewsbury

Hi all thought it was tole for a new thread ! I went to the library on saturday and came back with two books on them . They made steam and diesel lorries .
Do some of our older friends remember them ? Tony

Yes I remember them, and I am not that old either! As a kid in Reading I remember Sentinel steamers on tar spraying jobs, and Sentinel lorries with the underfloor engines were kicking about into the early 1970’s. One of my old workmates rallies a couple of them and I attended a training course in 1980 at the Rolls Royce diesel engine factory in Shrewsbury which was situated in the old Sentinel factory, now a Morrisons! :unamused:

Pete.

Hi Peter I never said you had to be old to know them . But it helps ! Also on the site is Cat engines remane . I will get some pictures on here when I get the computer from the kids ! Tony

One turned up at the Leyland Museum recently, underfloor engine and all.

I was broken down in the 60’s with an old Albion at a garage in Leominster, it took two days to get the parts and the owner of the garage had a Sentinel steamer. He had it steamed up while I was there and took me for a spin in it. I was amazed how quickly it pulled away and how fast it went.
I used to see them on rare occasions coming through Walsden where I lived as a youngster.

couple welsh dragons from south wales.

south wales

south wales

south wales

south wales

south wales

south wales

not forgetting Gwynne Bowen, south wales

only 8 were made. ROSSER OF PONTLLIWwere 3rd owners of this model.

Great pictures Dai. I will scan some pictures from the books I borrowed . Tony

I took this shot at Beamish Museum earlier this year.

Hi all looks like the tread is going ok . I was worried that it was old and it wasn’t going to be
any good . I have got a cm in the attic with Morris of Shrewsbuy
in there it is very goOd condition . Any way I’m glad the thread is working . Tony

Hi all a few pictures of some diesel ones . Tony

Hopefully the right way up now . Tony

No i cant make it rotate ! more pictures to come . Tony

When my Grandad took over the Shrewsbury motor transport company ltd in the 60 they had one have a photo of it at home with a fleet line up