THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Closed for repairs.

nice one harry - brilliant old pics :smiley:

yes please put captions to all of those wonderful photos HARRY
also what ■■■■■■■ engine was fitted in that hanomag-henschel

AAHHH! Nostalgia. You say they were the good old days? A week in La Jonquera? Nice.

Good one, Harry.

brit pete I believe it was their own engine…

bobthedog It could have gone pearshape. There is more to the story than I want to let on .On th net that is…Second hand machinery bought in Swiss for Spain costing three times the price of new gear!!
The good thing was that I was on salary with overtime on that firm… :wink:

What a fantastic collection Harry! Some names there I had forgotten too - Fretitalia for example or Gulliver Rental who were always a ready victim for trucks that went a little further than they intended :wink:

All of those pictures capture so well the time when they were taken - empty roads, empty parkings, trucks on the Beach and the gear we used and were proud of - everything. And how far would you get these days towing an artic with a wagon and drag, never mind loaded. Certainly not Macon to Dover :smiley:

Thanks very much for posting them H. They will keep me in memory lane for ages!

David

Harry. That was brilliant. When I looked earlier, there weren’t that many pics visable.

I look at pics like that and wish I could aspire to it. The ingenuity and preparedness to do anything required was what made me want to go abroad in the first place.

Some of the things you did there are still accepted here. Over here, they want you to be able to get yourself out of trouble because it saves them from having to. Part of why I came here, really.

Brilliant pics Harry, thanks for taking the time to post them. Any more? :wink: :smiley:

Yes there`s more Coffee. They have been stored in my cousins garage for the last four years & opening the cartons is like Christmas… :smiley:

David Miller I think the gearbox had gone on that Scania ,Dave. So the engine could tick over for the brakes. We hit Paris for the evening rush hour & the cars that were entering the autoroute were trying to nip in between us ! Poor old Tony was ten years older when we got the other side of Paris. He was a Korean War hero.Tons of medals. I think he deserved a VC for that trip! :laughing:
That first snap of the red Volvo. That was one of the Avis Rental fleet…
That Fret Italia was a Gulliver’s also. Surprisingly Gulliver’s are still going strong…
Remember we had no CB’s or mobil’s in those days…
bobthedog I shall be putting more on that site until youre sick of em… :laughing:

This is a request for a bit of advice. The rest of the truck snaps are in albums. These are sticky back pages then covered with cellophane paper…The snaps are well fixed onto the pages…How can I get them out to scan them without damage to the pictures…?

Great pics Harry Ill bet some of the posts you could have sent in from them days would have made Spacemonkeys and the Bolton firm seem insignificant.
Made me go back down memory Lane :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Buy the way no mention in captions about female(s) come on Harry come clean :question:

greek Buy the way no mention in captions about female(s)…
Thats a whole different photo album … :laughing:

harry:
This is a request for a bit of advice. The rest of the truck snaps are in albums. These are sticky back pages then covered with cellophane paper…The snaps are well fixed onto the pages…How can I get them out to scan them without damage to the pictures…?

Don’t remove the photos, but take the whole page out of the album.
Pre-scan in the whole page and crop it to one photo in the scanning software, then scan that it as a seperate file.

You’ll need to repeat that for each photo on the page, a bit of pain but the only way to do it without damaging the photos.

You can see I am running on a bent card. All the signs are there. You will have to sort these yourself…Fatigue has set in… :laughing:

Colingl I was afaid that would be the answer .But that will destroy the albums for future hoarders of quality junk…

Won’t the pages fold right back without damage so you can scan each page without removing it?
Great pictures mate.

brilliant harry well done mate.

harry:
You can see I am running on a bent card. All the signs are there. You will have to sort these yourself…Fatigue has set in… :laughing:
picasaweb.google.com/harry438/Mixture
Colingl I was afaid that would be the answer .But that will destroy the albums for future hoarders of quality junk…

Sorry Harry I had assumed the pages were easily removable. I wouldn’t go breaking the albums up.

By the way I liked the old deckers (Atlanteans or Daimlers?) no chance of them reaching 100mph, be doing well to reach 45mph. :laughing: :laughing:

I think I have solved the problem…Sort of. I have snapped them. :sunglasses: Some had suffered from the garage damp anyway…
A bit rough + ready.I will caption them later. Prato has been added to as well

Interesting photo’s :slight_smile: