THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Good stuff Harry, always wanted to try Morrocco…tried a few times to get on with Bredas when they were down near Folkestone,that was in the very early 90s but they were never taking on!! :unamused:

Excellent pics though.

Bullitt.

great pictures volvos remind me of wen my dad went over,one place i always wanted to go to was maroc never got the chance came close mates dad had a truck subbed out to john mann.brings back memorys of wen i used to go over nothing like a full strip out with a tilt in the heat.

Its mostly hanging garments in Maroc . So its in & out the back. And usually the client loads & unloads ( Or it stays where it is ) :laughing:

I shall be putting more on that site until youre sick of em

You couldn’t put up enough to get me sick of them. A really great collection. You can see, now you have mentioned it, the Avis logo on the door of the 88 6x2. How those firms survived the abuse that they got from certain hauliers I can’t imagine. I had a 4 wheeler very similar to that one on a number of M/E trips with just a weeks hire paid. It turned round in Zeebrugge and only got taken back 'cos it was kettled!

The picture of the Watford Gap is a classic in it’s own right. The Morris Commercial tractor with Scammel coupling in the foreground, the Leyland Beaver behind it (the first truck I ever drove), the Ford Thames van, the Blue Boar logo on the pump - it’s all pure history. And the one near Covent garden; I remember many mornings walking out into those streets whilst we were waiting for a gap to open so that you could get out of the damned place again!

Happy days, mate, happy days.

David

crackin pics H, excellent

Colingl the double deckers are Leyland Atlanteans, Standerwicks used to run a high speed motorway express between the North West and London using them. They were uprated for m-way use and capable of high speeds - had onboard toilets and trolley dolleys and were marketed as the “Gay Hostess” express services - no doubt they’d be unable to use that name these days down to PC - not that they’d want to anyway ! They later used Bristol chassis until they got swallowed up into the National Bus Company and the name disappeared.

I think at least one of these has survived in to preservation

few good old pics on here for a blast from the past, not sure if i got this link on here originally or not, anyways, here you go :-

www.msatrivia.co.uk

I wrote some really good replies ;Pressed the wrong key &I am looking at a NASA live TV feed!!! Must take some tyringg lessons… :laughing:

well Harry those pictures are ace mate, any more on the way here.

Well there are many that got water damaged in the Great Flood. But the negs are OK. So I will apply to the Heritage Fund for a grant… :laughing:
That MIX album needs captions which I will do later,Pete…

bobthedog:
AAHHH! Nostalgia. You say they were the good old days? A week in La Jonquera? Nice.

Good one, Harry.

bobthedog On my first trip with Marti we were in Zona Franca Three weeks! The customs had gone on strike. I was on a good salary plus exs & overtime. Also a taxi allowance. We complained that they didnt give a night club allowance.At the same time poor old O/D’s aged ten years and went broke.This was before the 7 day war & running a truck was cheap.

some fantastic pictures there harry, i never knew breda had english registered trucks (maybe its my age)

i remember anchor storage in felixstowe going bust (im sure its the same lot, they went and owed the company i was working for a bit of money)

the more pics the merrier, i wnt get sick of them (i have never heard of fretitalia!)

euromat They had a small fleet of UK reg in Ashford.
Its the same Anchor .Did that crap firm Maritana have a finger in the pie…?
He bought those crap FIATS. The only way he could keep going was to buy new ones & swap the parts with the old ones that broke down then claim on the warrantry…Two faced little prat .Happy days… :laughing:

not heard of marintana harry…do you have any more breda/john mann/jan de lely piccys too?

i think breda have polish registered trucks now

euromat Plenty later.The thing is I have given the best to the drivers. But I still have the negs.
But I have just posted a few more without captions on Swiss Stuff, Prato Mix & Espana…
Re; Maritana…? He used to run clapped out Fiats out of FX. Parked them up alongside a railway line in Stoomark’et.

Very nice pictures there mate thanks

Great pics Harry,yes they certainly were the days,but not all good!.Thanks for your time and trouble,more please Regards derek

Your Welcome… :You’re right about not all good.Just before those black & white snaps were taken I got married ( lasted about three months…) :laughing:

euromat Breda has packed up now. But it had NL, B, F,E,PL, +GB reg trucks + depots.Last I heard they only went as far as Algarciras & swapped trailers. Morrocan subbies did Maroc. That was a Dutch owner driver turned managers idea. Then the the Maroc trucks change overs started at that big Routiers between Poitiers & Anguoleme . When I left the whole thing fell on its ear… :laughing:
I don`t think John Mann is around anymore…At least they are finished with Maroc…

Manno’s are still about, I saw one last week. I will send my mate a text, he used to work for them and ask if they still do Maroc.

I will be taking a rest from the nostalgia trail. As you can see its sort of taken over. In amongst all that are thousands of negs. Some of the best snaps are the ones I have given to the drivers involved but when I am feeling rich I will be going to Tescos for wholesale development deals.