First night out

I’ll be doing my first night out next week, any tips and advice, do’s and donts will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Drive to the last second of your gruelling 15 hour shift.

Park in the first available (usually totally unsuitable) lay by.

Pull your mirrors in to avoid getting side swiped.

Pull yer curtains…oooer Mrs :smiley: (not while standing up cos the cab rock will put you on yer arse)

Get yer pot noodle out …(oooer Mrs again) for your tea, with a can of Coke…(for the more upmarket trampers tea,.buy a Ginsters pie en route…although it will be cold.

Wet wipe wash.

Get in yer Primark sleeping bag, with a pillow made from your hi viz.

Set your alarm to one minute before your 9 hours, clicks over.

Dig out the wet wipes for a 'wash again.

And set off (even though being grossly fatigued with no proper sleep (due to cab rock again) for your next 15 hour endurance, stress laden excercise…whilst drinking your first coffee of the day mobile.

(Top Rob tip…Read up on how to deal with a heart attack,.cos you are sure as hell going to have one on 20 years time if you keep that up. :smiley: )

Many on here will read that nodding their head in agreement :smiley: …because believe it or not, but that seems to be the way many of them (to the delight of their bosses ) do it :smiley:
OR
You can do it properly,.by basically doing the direct opposite of a the above list,.and have a life of tramping ranging somewhere between satisfactory and enjoyable.
Good luck with it. :wink:

Have a trawl through the forum there are loads of tips on here for nights out and tramping., and last resort…if you get really stuck on summet specific …pm me.

Whilst out and about enjoying the sights on your travels, make mental notes
of suitable parking places for future reference :wink:

Do…

Park somewhere safe and with facilities. You’re a human being, it’s not too much to ask for somewhere to have a dump and wash your hands after is it.

Don’t get involved with anyone stealing your diesel or cargo. It’s not worth getting a kicking (unless of course you’re an experienced MMA fighter in which case please link the Ytube video of the scrap).

Do

Avoid some bloke called Rob. He’ll be wearing a vest that says I love Carryfast but the love will be depicted by a heart.

May also be armed with an erection and a devious smile.

toonsy:
Do

Avoid some bloke called Rob. He’ll be wearing a vest that says I love Carryfast but the love will be depicted by a heart.

Nah Franglais is my heartthrob at the moment,.try and keep up man :unamused:
:laughing: :laughing:

During your working day once get an idea of where your going to be parking up Google truck stops in the area or ask on here.
If company pays for parking use truckstops where possible at 1st .
avoid using motorway services.
As once parked there your stuck in your cab and only have mcds KFC for food.
Least in truck stops can get out have a decent meal sat at a table.
Over time keep a look out for decent places just off the motorway. And write down addresses .
Over time your soon find places to park with in walking distance to shops pubs etc.
Never park in laybyes as never get a decent sleep.head for retail park industrial estates.

Ignore everyone who says park in motorway services truckstops etc.
Unless company says you have to .
I spent 8 years tramping and hardly ever used services truck stops .
Used park in places I knew and found never had any issues all with in walking distances of pubs. Shops places to get food . Gets you out of the truck.
Just stop at last services before your plan to park up have a shower use toilet then park up.
And same day after have a shower etc at earliest chance you can.

I suspect that it’ll depend on what work he’s doing and where he’s going to be towards the end of the day. The worst case scenario would be stuck in an RDC for several hours waiting for paperwork and keys and ending up with minimal time to get off site and find somewhere to park up. In that scenario I’d be lying to the clerk and tell them that you’re going to out of hours at O’clock, when in fact you have actually left yourself a 1-2hrs buffer.

robroy:

toonsy:
Do

:laughing: :laughing: sorry mate I’ve just got a load of seemingly unwanted I love carryfast goodies that I’m trying to shift! Nobody wants it for some reason and it’s taking up room in the garage with the Winseer is great range.

To the OP try not to rag ut to the last moment, get an area in your head where you want to park up and try for it, if there’s any truckstops or motorway services within it head there, or look for things like industrial estates or retail parks but look our for parking restrictions.

toonsy:

robroy:

toonsy:
Do

:laughing: :laughing: sorry mate I’ve just got a load of seemingly unwanted I love carryfast goodies that I’m trying to shift! Nobody wants it for some reason and it’s taking up room in the garage with the Winseer is great range.

Yep,.they will be about as popular as Gary Glitter fan club membership. :laughing:

BrodeyBear:
I’ll be doing my first night out next week, any tips and advice, do’s and donts will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

FFS not again :unamused:

Suedehead:

BrodeyBear:

It’s as if he thought it was a truck forum.
Would you rather be discussing Brexit, immigration or some other bollox.

Suedehead:

BrodeyBear:

Tbf to the lad, it is his first post on here.
He’s just come on looking for a bit of advice,.so what’s the prob ?

He’s new to the forum so obviously won’t realise the regularity of the question he has asked.

robroy:

Suedehead:

BrodeyBear:

He’s new to the forum so obviously won’t realise the regularity of the question he has asked.

Cheers to yourself and the others who have put some genuine good advice on here, it’s definitely give me some things to consider.

Correct Suedehead, I did eventually Google the question and I did find plenty of similar conversations however I wasn’t sure how to delete my original post, and I’m glad I couldn’t as it taught me the valuable lesson that there are ar******* like yourself within the industry, but also some considerate ladies and gents!

BrodeyBear:

robroy:

Suedehead:

BrodeyBear:

Cheers to yourself and the others who have put some genuine good advice on here, it’s definitely give me some things to consider.

Correct Suedehead, I did eventually Google the question and I did find plenty of similar conversations however I wasn’t sure how to delete my original post, and I’m glad I couldn’t as it taught me the valuable lesson that there are ar******* like yourself within the industry, but also some considerate ladies and gents!

None taken

Suedehead:

BrodeyBear:

Suedehead:

BrodeyBear:

None taken

I’m a day driver who very occasionally does a night out, I don’t mind finding somewhere quiet out of the way and cooking myself rather than needing a service area with crap food and vehicles coming and going all night.

There’s an app called Truckfly which has some good spots on or join a Facebook group of which there are a couple. If you ask where to park in a certain town, someone will surely give you good and bad places.

I was out last night in Barnstaple, I took my bike and rode a trail to Bideford for a nose around. It killed a couple of hours, and got something out of the trip.

Make the best of it and avoid becoming a slave to the cab

8wheels:
I’m a day driver who very occasionally does a night out, I don’t mind finding somewhere quiet out of the way and cooking myself rather than needing a service area with crap food and vehicles coming and going all night.

There’s an app called Truckfly which has some good spots on or join a Facebook group of which there are a couple. If you ask where to park in a certain town, someone will surely give you good and bad places.

I was out last night in Barnstaple, I took my bike and rode a trail to Bideford for a nose around. It killed a couple of hours, and got something out of the trip.

That’s my neck of the woods :slight_smile: Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tarka Trail.

Did you park behind Tesco/swimming pool?

We’re you delivering plant for the never ending development of the A361?

driveress:

8wheels:

That’s my neck of the woods :slight_smile: Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tarka Trail.

Yes I parked in the Seven Brethren for a tenner, no facilities on site but quiet, well lit and next to Tesco. Plus town and retail parks, takeaways etc within easy walking distance.

I was collecting ground protection mats from Pilton school on Abbey Road, done another load today thankfully the last of them as it’s a squeeze to get in and blocks the school driveway whilst loading up.

Picture is what they looked like when I took them there, now they are caked in mud and nowhere as neatly stacked!

7C6CF865-3C19-447E-B880-BA8FFE9CE6C1.jpeg

driveress:

8wheels:

Yes I parked in the Seven Brethren for a tenner, no facilities on site but quiet, well lit and next to Tesco. Plus town and retail parks, takeaways etc within easy walking distance.

I was collecting ground protection mats from Pilton school on Abbey Road, done another load today thankfully the last of them as it’s a squeeze to get in and blocks the school driveway whilst loading up.

Picture is what they looked like when I took them there, now they are caked in mud and nowhere as neatly stacked!