Driving assessment and interview! Fedex Stansted

Hi guys, Newbie hear
Having passed my C+E last September, I finally have an interview and class 1 driving assessment this coming week with Fedex at Stansted Airport, anybody gone through the process? any hints or tips would be greatly received
Cheers

Well done! I don’t have any specific help. But generally, remember that the assessor will be looking for a driver that’s going to be safe, and bring their lorry back in one piece. So don’t feel pressured to cut corners.

Do a walk around check, clock the height indicator, make the driving position and mirror positions suitable. Don’t faff, but do what you have to do to feel in control and safe. Obviously, do all that with your card already in on other work.

I’m sure I could drone on for hours, but I’ll give someone else a chance who might have some more specific advice.

And good luck! Come back and let us know how it goes.

I know it’s easy for me to say, but try and come across as being confident rather than too nervous, but to the point of not being arrogant.
I’ve told my two lads to do the same all my life.
Make sure you let them see that you take all their H&S b/s seriously,.even if you don’t. :smiley: and just do your best, they are there to see what you can do, NOT to catch you out, so impress them.
I’ve assessed new drivers in the distant past,.and the ones who came across as confident without being arrogant and knowing it all, were the ones that stood out…the over nervous ones always put me off and I was a nervous wreck in the passenger seat.
In other words blag it, put on an act if you need to :bulb: …I’ve done it in all situations all my life, I’m an absolute facade…In real life I’m quiet shy innofensive and wouldn’t say boo to the proverbial fowl. :laughing:
I also lie a lot. :smiley:

Nah seriously mate,.we’ve all been there…Good luck, you’ll ■■■■ it. :wink: :smiley:

Many thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated.
I’m usually the one ‘hiding at the back’ behind others, I’ll have to put my confident face mask on! :smiley:
I’ll report back next week
Cheers

The profile of a driver assessor is that of a shift manager in a warehouse who one day in his 40+ or 50s decided to go for a career change as a result of poor wages or redundancy, got the HGV licence, drove for a few years (*edit) and saw the opportunity to return to their origins and breed becoming a 9 to 5 office anker while assessing and inducting newly arrived drivers, doing some tacho admin, etc…

Based on the stated assumption, you can expect any sort of private life ego compensation strategies from their part, according to their preconception (i.e. prejudice) arising from the outward features of your persona (hair style, clothing, manner, ethnicity, accent… you name it). Rather than professional, experienced, well-educated approach to the proper assessing endeavour in the interest of the organization they happen to be employed by, which for some reason you wish to join too.

The point is: expect anything, you are in the hands of sheer incompetence. Get to know thyself

*EDIT: drove for some years delivering stores (RDC Tesco driver, that sort of lorry driving)

_JD:
The profile of a driver assessor is that of a shift manager in a warehouse who one day in his 40+ or 50s decided to go for a career change as a result of poor wages or redundancy, got the HGV licence, drove for a few years (*edit) and saw the opportunity to return to their origins and breed becoming a 9 to 5 office anker while assessing and inducting newly arrived drivers, doing some tacho admin, etc…

Based on the stated assumption, you can expect any sort of private life ego compensation strategies from their part, according to their preconception (i.e. prejudice) arising from the outward features of your persona (hair style, clothing, manner, ethnicity, accent… you name it). Rather than professional, experienced, well-educated approach to the proper assessing endeavour in the interest of the organization they happen to be employed by, which for some reason you wish to join too.

The point is: expect anything, you are in the hands of sheer incompetence. Get to know thyself

*EDIT: drove for some years delivering stores (RDC Tesco driver, that sort of lorry driving)

Tesco driver?
I thought you were an old hand,.old style Euro cowboy saddle tramp type as you’ve said in the past… Toby. :wink:

_JD:
The profile of a driver assessor is…

… not set in stone, it might be someone as described in _JD’s post, which would seem to be based on a negative personal experience, or it could be someone with extensive driving experience who was asked to do extra duties to help weed out those who would cause problems for the company’s O-licence and OCRS scores.

Big companies (eg DHL, IME) might also assess your tacho knowledge: drivers hours, WTD/RTD, manual entries etc, so it wouldn’t hurt to brush up on those in advance.

If the assessor wants you to do a full vehicle check,dont forget to ask him to stand at the rear and check your brake lights are working,also check there is enough screenwash and also the height sticker is a legal requirement so make sure the height is marked on the trailer and is displayed correctly in the cab

robroy:
Tesco driver?
I thought you were an old hand,.old style Euro cowboy saddle tramp type as you’ve said in the past… Toby. :wink:

I have done it all, that is why I can tell.

Zac_A:
Big companies (eg DHL, IME) might also assess your tacho knowledge: drivers hours, WTD/RTD, manual entries etc, so it wouldn’t hurt to brush up on those in advance.

That is a must, in such type of companies pretty sure there is a theory test, usually the ones having to tick the right response.
Besides the above stated, I recall coupling and un-coupling order (BLACK), low bridges height and its signs (the typical one asking for minimum bridge height needs to be signaled) and other traffic signs questions, walk-around checks, load stowage and security (are you familiar with EN 12642-XL?), and what I cannnot recall now.

You always wear steel toe safety boots, needless to say.

But if you happened to come accross a good driver’s assessor, you show him your driver’s bag with a pry bar and the AA low bridges map 11th edition to take him aback and move him to shed a tear of joy, as if saying that there is still hope in the world.

Also,check the wheel nut pointers.I remember going for an assessment with downtons and the guy wasnt happy that I never checked the wheel nuts before driving off.

Sploom:
Also,check the wheel nut pointers.I remember going for an assessment with downtons and the guy wasnt happy that I never checked the wheel nuts before driving off.

Indeed, walk-around checks, crucial.

Carry a pen on you, and spares. A pen for a trucker is like condoms for a ■■■■■, there are often out there at hand, but you cannot afford finding yourself without one.

Do they do assessments these days , this job was a chat in office with boss , Monday here’s the keys , deliver it
Previous one I can remember was out yard , pull in lay-by for 30 mins and have a chat with a old mate ( now driver trainer ) .

_JD:
That is a must, in such type of companies pretty sure there is a theory test, usually the ones having to tick the right response.

Anyone can tick a box, any decent assessment will give you a little scenario to answer, they can be quite tricky for unprepared drivers.

You always wear steel toe safety boots, needless to say.

Things have moved on a bit, hard-toed boots, not steel-toed are the order of the day; metal toe caps have been shown to act like scissors

But if you happened to come accross a good driver’s assessor, you show him your driver’s bag with a pry bar and the AA low bridges map 11th edition to take him aback and move him to shed a tear of joy, as if saying that there is still hope in the world.

Again, things really have moved on, most good companies will want to see candidates with a proper trucker’s sat nav, not map books or a phone with nothing more than Google Maps; increasingly they might want to see a mobile phone that has What Three Words installed, for those really tricky rural locations its a godsend.

Basically, any decent company will want a potential new driver to know all of what they consider to be the basics: drivers hours, load security, defect checking/reporting, accident reporting, mobile phone use, H&S, not to mention a touch of customer service and decent driver conduct when out on the roads. All those tedious things that get repeated ad nauseum on DCPC courses :laughing:

Make sure you check the oil level before you start the engine, but it’s ok to ask how to do it as it’s more likely the dashboard than a dipstick

I would say that a large proportion of class 1 assessments probably fail on reversing. You can expect something more challenging than the DVSA test reverse, but I have no specific information about Fedex. Possibly putting it on a bay with a trailer either side or something along those lines.

You can only go and try your best and if not successful, then you have had the experience.

I failed an assessment straight off test and then I was back at the same place within 3 months having gained some experience on agency shifts.

I failed my assessment!!
Noremac was correct. First attempt at reversing was spot on but the next three where all over the place. The assessor was happy with everything else and said if I could get a couple of months practice elsewhere he would be happy to take me on.

Sorry to hear that. But on the positive side, you went and gave it a good go! You got some experience, and sounds like some good feedback too. Although it does make you wonder where they expect you get practice unless someone takes you on :unamused:

Onto the next one! You’ll get there.

We don’t do assessments for new passes.they go with shunters for 2-4 weeks.
If they can’t reverse by then…they’ll be rejected.