Iveco Stralis

Anyone drive these, what do you think of them?

Driven one once, it was a few months old, seemed okay, although it was the 460 and it seemed a little underpowered.

Thinking of buying one.

It’s personal opinion but…

I hate them. I hate them so much, I feel urges to vandalise them whenever I see them. This includes the utterly gutless, wheezy effort at the last place I had an assesment drive for. Steering like a dodgem car, no brakes (seriously I thought they’d failed in the yard), no power as in nothing seems to happen for two seconds then woosh, here’s the 90 Italian lame donkeys you summoned sir. The usual shut the door and something breaks/snaps/falls off somewhere in the cab. On max seat suspension, the seat bottoms out on big bumps and shatters your spine. The mirrors are the second worst in the industry behind MANs pool table sized view blockers. The gearbox is laughable. I almost cooked one stop starting up the hill from Halifax to the M62 with a full load of water. Halfway up it was shaking like a rabid dog pulling away. The smoke and smell at the top was enough to get me to pull over and turn it off for 15 minutes.

I’d rather whack my shins for a week with a lump hammer than go near one ever again.

Others may feel differently of course.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used to drive them now and again but I didn’t think they were that bad.

I agree the brakes may give you a brown moment :open_mouth: and you had to slam the door to get it to shut properly which made the door cards to fall out.

The bunk was rock hard…supposed to be good for a bad back.

The gearbox would change down far too early on the hills. Wasting fuel.

The company I work for hired 10 for about 4 months and they were reasonably reliable. They are cheap and cheerful ok for day work but I wouldn’t want to tramp in one.

No issues with Iveco’s, not the best truck but do most things well enough apart from stuff falling apart. I’d have one over a Merc in a heartbeat. Most I’ve driven have always pulled rather well as well.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Oh and one of the most spacious cabs for trampers on the market to be fair. Not necessarily the most comfortable but deffo spacious.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

If you buy one prepare to keep it until its completely “dead” because NOBODY will want it to sell/trade on!!!
Hear Dealer backup woefully short especially for the higher horse versions as NEVER have parts!!!
Cheap for a reason!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

The few i’ve driven (not for around 14 years, so things might have improved) went well enough once you got the thing going, but the worst programming of Arsetronic gearbox its been my displeasure to use, none have been good but the Iveco/arsetronic was a frustrating experience.
As said everything breaks but then that applies to other euro makes too, apart from the Swedes.
The one thing that said it all to me in that it was a ■■■■ poor design, was you had to tilt the cab to put engine oil in, who the hell signed off on that?, plus it drank the stuff.

Do iveco still have them big grey keys.
Never driven many but everyone I’ve been in had a huge grey key.
And no key fob have they finally caught up and brought in a key fob yet?

Thanks, I giuess an Iveco is not a good idea, although the one Stralis I drove was not so bad. Used to run the 190.30!

Macski:
Thanks, I giuess an Iveco is not a good idea, although the one Stralis I drove was not so bad. Used to run the 190.30!

I cut my teeth here in one of those… My first job, my first tramping motor… Loved it…fond memories.

Ivecos need a single , sympathetic driver.

my thoughts as a small operator . 1 cheap as , you can buy a low mileage example for little money ,
2 yes you cant trade it in its yours to keep
3 if your a v8 tang dont bother , 4 not any harder to keep than any of the premium brands infact easier . 5 parts are harder to get , little easier now than years ago .
6 main dealers dont care about heavies . 7 you need to put a daf bed in them . 8 command more input to driving than simply selecting d if your on back roads lanes etc . brakes do take a day to get the feel of them but have good brakes when used to them , discs and pads wear well and even.
9 i have 3 dffrent makes including scania and will take the iveco any day most comfortable of all by far.
have always ran one for at least the last 20 years and have ran the to well over 1 million kms without dramas .
10 they do have shortcoming in a few silly areas like bed blinds , everytime you switch it off you have to reboot radios and personal switches etc,
11 once you look at a used one you will know straight away if its been ruff handled as they dont like it .
12 bumper steps headlights etc a lot cheaper and less labour intensive than most of the premium brands to replace etc

they will make you as much money as any other if your happy enough to drive it , i am

I’ve got to confess to having a soft spot for Ivecos ever since being allocated a mighty Turbostar back in the 80’s, the one with the louvre back windows and mirror wipers. It’s no exaggeration to say it was a game changer at the time. It was a beast that would leave even the highest rated Swedish offering in its wake. As a twenty something year old there’s nothing more satisfying that going up Windy hill fully freighted and flashing all the Irish boys in their Scannys out of the way and then leaving them for dust. :smiley: :smiley:

Childish, immature, but so much fun. That was trucking in the 80’s encapsulated

the maoster:
I’ve got to confess to having a soft spot for Ivecos ever since being allocated a mighty Turbostar back in the 80’s, the one with the louvre back windows and mirror wipers. It’s no exaggeration to say it was a game changer at the time. It was a beast that would leave even the highest rated Swedish offering in its wake. As a twenty something year old there’s nothing more satisfying that going up Windy hill fully freighted and flashing all the Irish boys in their Scannys out of the way and then leaving them for dust. :smiley: :smiley:

Moaster i had a 190 48 with straight through 4" exhaust system would be happy to climb into one on Monday, ,fast and loud :grimacing: cheers Ray

the maoster:

I owned my 190.30 at the time 500BHP Volvos and speed limiters were coming in. My old Ivecos would beat the new Volvos up the hills coming back from Scotland loaded with whisky.

chipliner:
my thoughts as a small operator . 1 cheap as , you can buy a low mileage example for little money ,
2 yes you cant trade it in its yours to keep
3 if your a v8 tang dont bother , 4 not any harder to keep than any of the premium brands infact easier . 5 parts are harder to get , little easier now than years ago .
6 main dealers dont care about heavies . 7 you need to put a daf bed in them . 8 command more input to driving than simply selecting d if your on back roads lanes etc . brakes do take a day to get the feel of them but have good brakes when used to them , discs and pads wear well and even.
9 i have 3 dffrent makes including scania and will take the iveco any day most comfortable of all by far.
have always ran one for at least the last 20 years and have ran the to well over 1 million kms without dramas .
10 they do have shortcoming in a few silly areas like bed blinds , everytime you switch it off you have to reboot radios and personal switches etc,
11 once you look at a used one you will know straight away if its been ruff handled as they dont like it .
12 bumper steps headlights etc a lot cheaper and less labour intensive than most of the premium brands to replace etc

they will make you as much money as any other if your happy enough to drive it , i am

many thanks, things to ponder over.

DAF bed? you mean a matteres?

Which is the best model/engine? Most seem to be 460 or 480 engined, 500 seem very rare.

Iveco is not that bad. I would take one over a Claptros. I drove the Iveco Stralis 460 it’s a lovely motor. The brakes took a bit getting used to. The bed is just like everyone else. Apart from Daf who actually put a decent mattress in.