Parcel companies. Should they be more regulated

Had a delivery yesterday by Evri not my choice but the Amazon order I placed.

Tracking shows the item on the window sill next to the mail boxes.

The door buzzer went just before midday, I got up and chucked my dressing gown on, and was out the door within a minute. No package left opened the main door and no driver or van in the car park.

I’m well aware of Hermes/Evri reputation. And cannot believe they can allow this kind of thing to happen let alone just leaving a parcel where anyone could have picked it up and walked off with it, given that didn’t happen as it was delivered at 11:59 on the tracking info and I was out the door almost immediately.

Can’t contact Evri other than a service chat bot as they would be inundated with calls 24/7 because of the awful service. Raised it online with them and with Amazon.

I think we all know what has happened here.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

How does regulating parcel companies stop other people stealing your stuff. Not heard of porch pirates ?
If it was Amazon, was it not prime ?

Dav1d:

How does regulating parcel companies stop other people stealing your stuff. Not heard of porch pirates ?
If it was Amazon, was it not prime ?

So someone stole it within the minute it took me to open the door did they?

They as a company need regulation as they don’t allow anyone to contact them, all you get is a useless automated system that will do nothing without a tracking number, and when you use the tracking number it simply says it has been delivered and cuts you off. No way to speak to an actual advisor.

How do companies continue to operate like this and why on earth do sellers use companies with such a bad reputation.

It’s wasn’t a prime item otherwise would have been delivered by Amazon.

I should add the entrance door is access controlled, you would have to know that one of the buzzers is the trade button and only allows the door to be opened 8am til 4pm.

And again as I said above someone happens to steal the parcel within 1 minute of it being delivered?

There are parcels left regularly at my door or in the safe place where I can request that place to be used, parcels are often left on top of the mail box for the flat on 2nd floor, none have ever gone missing before.

It’s a huge area that needs many things.

Firstly delivery firms should be more regulated in terms of being accountable for losses with perhaps a standardised procedure across all firms.

Secondly, the public should take more accountability. People just sit there swiping stuff on their phone and pay little regard to when it’s going to be delivered which for many will likely be when they’re at work. But they’re also too lazy to mitigate anything such as changing a delivery day, address or getting it dripped at a local shop for convenient collection if available.

To add to the above, people aren’t willing to mitigate anything. It’s not a massive leap for us as lorry drivers to be sympathetic to a courier driver and understand that they will get tge blame for missing items/damages and everything else. But even Evri/Hermes offer a safe space delivery service. I’ve got a box in the side alley for weather protection which is covered by movement sensor cctv so I specify there and I’ve never had an issue, plus I’ve got my own proof of tampering.

When I was a postie we weren’t supposed to leave items even if there was a note on the door. We should post a card and take them back but the amount of times I’d get grief the next time I’d see that person for not “just leaving it” somewhere was staggering and id end up carrying around eveything on my delivery plus the stuff i couldnt deliver. ts people not seeing that the finger gets pointed at the delivery person. From last experience and sympathy having done the job I do absolutely everything possible to ensure that I’m in for a delivery or that it can be left because I know how much of a pain in the arse it is for couriers to have to take stuff back.

Third its a massively inefficient operation. I ordered a three items for my lad the other day from Foot Asylum and they sent two items out one day and the third one the next. How wasteful when they could have combined shipping by sending it all together just one day later halving the processing, packaging, transportation and courier trips to my house. I’ve also ordered some retro sweets for Christmas just and got offered same day delivery. Why? There is absolutely no need.

Finally working practices need an overhaul. A DPD driver died at the wheel of his van in Dartford the other day and he’d been doing weeks and weeks of seven days with long hours because he needed the work to pay. Self employed courier of course so DPD will wash any hands of it, but I’d suggest that all firms need to toughen up their relations with the delivery drivers and stop working them so hard. Then maybe corners wouldn’t get cut.

If they stood at the door waiting while you get to the door they would only make 20 pence an hour. Do you know the kind of money they get paid? Dont blame the drivers - blame the boss at amazon for paying so little they have no other option but drop and leave.

If amazon paid £15-20 an hour (which they could afford easily) the driver would be glad to stay and have a cup of tea with you.

Tacho vans ur to 3.5 tonne? Opens a can of worms. I’m gone. :smiley:

JeffA:
If they stood at the door waiting while you get to the door they would only make 20 pence an hour. Do you know the kind of money they get paid? Dont blame the drivers - blame the boss at amazon for paying so little they have no other option but drop and leave.

If amazon paid £15-20 an hour (which they could afford easily) the driver would be glad to stay and have a cup of tea with you.

Not delivered by Amazon of which I’ve never had an issue with Amazon deliveries by them.

I couldn’t care less what the drivers get paid. We are talking 1 minute max for me to wake up chuck something on and answer the door.

Every other courrier if they don’t get an answer take the parcel back, or leave it in the safe space if noted and can be done so unless it needs a signature.

I blame the driver as that is the only person who could have removed the package in a minute maximum. A picture of the item left on the window sill does not constitute delivery of said item.

I actually cannot believe people are defending a company with shoddy practises, poor pay and no doubt using anyone and any sub contractors to deliver parcels.

I should add I went on to evri to try and leave notes to leave it in my safe place but there was no option to do that. Otherwise I would have done that. I knew I was going to be at home albeit asleep as I work nights. I most of the time get woken by drivers pressing the buzzer or knocking on my door. As I did in this case.

SWEDISH BLUE:
Tacho vans ur to 3.5 tonne? Opens a can of worms. I’m gone. :smiley:

Absolutely vans should be on tacho 3.5.tons and under. This would stop drivers working for a pittance and companies to work shoddily and push drivers to work all the hours god sends.

And yes i’d happily pay higher prices for delivery knowing that it is being done right and drivers are not over worked dangerously.

I can’t believe people order from Amazon and don’t use/have prime. Ring/cctv helps too.
Couple of other things. If they’re delivering 100+items a day, and you want them to wait 1min at each one…well, you can work it out.
The trades button on flats is hit and miss, most I’ve used only allow access up until 11am ish, after that, it’s prop the door open or constantly buzz the customer when other people in the flats close entrance door repeatedly (furniture delivery).
As for Royal Mail, they are regulated (somewhat) and still ■■■■ it up, eg, I had some concert tickets ordered for about a year. About 2 months prior to the delivery we moved house,. Updated the details on the ticket website, but still sent out to old address.
This was despite a Royal Mail redirection and a signed for delivery, not my signature obviously. Rang RM within 30mins and was told it would take someone 4 days to go and pick it up. I drove over, spoke to current resident and collected my tickets.

simcor:
I should add I went on to evri to try and leave notes to leave it in my safe place but there was no option to do that. Otherwise I would have done that. I knew I was going to be at home albeit asleep as I work nights. I most of the time get woken by drivers pressing the buzzer or knocking on my door. As I did in this case.

That’s normally a sender option, as in the level the sender pays depends on options given. They can pay a bit more to allow Evri or whoever to offer a safe space option. As I understand it its not a binary standard option.

I do know that Evri are hard on their couriers and hold them personally responsible for losses. Our local Hermes guy was chatting to me about it once as I’d missed two deliveries and this was the third attempt so I made proper sure I was in and I suggested he leave any future parcels over the gate which us when he went in to just how badly they get screwed. That’s when I took steps to mitigate it for their benefit.

I have complete sympathy with courier drivers. Even the DHL guy who brought me some stuff the other day said he had 170+ deliveries before his collection. Its barbaric fuelled by corporate greed, public indifference and rampant consumerism.

I cant fault our local Evri delivery guy, Being retired I’m usually always in but on the odd occasion I’m not in he brings it through the side gate & puts it in my greenhouse, Always treat him with a big bag of tomatoes & bell peppers in the Summer.

lancpudn:
I cant fault our local Evri delivery guy, Being retired I’m usually always in but on the odd occasion I’m not in he brings it through the side gate & puts it in my greenhouse, Always treat him with a big bag of tomatoes & bell peppers in the Summer.

I can imagine he’s ■■■■ a hoop at carrying two big bags of veg back to his van as a thanks :laughing:

Dav1d:
I can’t believe people order from Amazon and don’t use/have prime. Ring/cctv helps too.
Couple of other things. If they’re delivering 100+items a day, and you want them to wait 1min at each one…well, you can work it out.
The trades button on flats is hit and miss, most I’ve used only allow access up until 11am ish, after that, it’s prop the door open or constantly buzz the customer when other people in the flats close entrance door repeatedly (furniture delivery).
As for Royal Mail, they are regulated (somewhat) and still [zb] it up, eg, I had some concert tickets ordered for about a year. About 2 months prior to the delivery we moved house,. Updated the details on the ticket website, but still sent out to old address.
This was despite a Royal Mail redirection and a signed for delivery, not my signature obviously. Rang RM within 30mins and was told it would take someone 4 days to go and pick it up. I drove over, spoke to current resident and collected my tickets.

I do have prime the item wasn’t available as a prime order.

Like I said as soon as the buzzer went of, I chucked my dressing gown on and went out to get my parcel in less than a minute.

simcor:

Dav1d:
As for Royal Mail, they are regulated (somewhat) and still [zb] it up, eg, I had some concert tickets ordered for about a year. About 2 months prior to the delivery we moved house,. Updated the details on the ticket website, but still sent out to old address.

I do have prime the item wasn’t available as a prime order.

Like I said as soon as the buzzer went of, I chucked my dressing gown on and went out to get my parcel in less than a minute.

That’s unfortunate then.

simcor:

JeffA:

Not delivered by Amazon of which I’ve never had an issue with Amazon deliveries by them.

I couldn’t care less what the drivers get paid. We are talking 1 minute max for me to wake up chuck something on and answer the door.

Every other courrier if they don’t get an answer take the parcel back, or leave it in the safe space if noted and can be done so unless it needs a signature.

I blame the driver as that is the only person who could have removed the package in a minute maximum. A picture of the item left on the window sill does not constitute delivery of said item.

I actually cannot believe people are defending a company with shoddy practises, poor pay and no doubt using anyone and any sub contractors to deliver parcels.

One minute max from you, five minutes max from the next bloke, the next blokes in the shower…see how it adds up? When you’re getting 30-40 pence per drop you can’t waste that kind of time.

I know you don’t care what they get paid - I’m just telling you why they don’t stand there twiddling their thumbs waiting on you. If you did the job you’d do exactly the same.

Spoken to the seller and they are sending them out again with Drop it hide it lose it. And raising a complaint with evri.

I did ask why on earth they use such a company and he said sadly for ADR stuff even in limited quantities he struggles to get items sent out, and evri are one of the few companies that will take them, so he has little choice in the matter.

Still does not resolve issues with evri or the drivers they use, seems our local driver no longer works for evri and they are using some white van man/car driver to deliver in our area.

JeffA:

simcor:

JeffA:

One minute max from you, five minutes max from the next bloke, the next blokes in the shower…see how it adds up? When you’re getting 30-40 pence per drop you can’t waste that kind of time.

I know you don’t care what they get paid - I’m just telling you why they don’t stand there twiddling their thumbs waiting on you

Then don’t leave parcels where they could be stolen or operate such a shoddy business and send items out with just about anyone.

I can’t believe you are defending them l, do you work for Evri by any chance?

JeffA:

simcor:

JeffA:

I know you don’t care what they get paid - I’m just telling you why they don’t stand there twiddling their thumbs waiting on you. If you did the job you’d do exactly the same.

And if they really are only getting 30 or 40p per time then more fool the drivers for doing such work at such rates. If people didn’t work for them doing it they would not have a business.