Parcel companies. Should they be more regulated

simcor:

JeffA:

simcor:

JeffA:
If they stood at the door waiting while you get to the door they would only make 20 pence an hour. Do you know the kind of money they get paid? Dont blame the drivers - blame the boss at amazon for paying so little they have no other option but drop and leave.

If amazon paid £15-20 an hour (which they could afford easily) the driver would be glad to stay and have a cup of tea with you.

Not delivered by Amazon of which I’ve never had an issue with Amazon deliveries by them.

I couldn’t care less what the drivers get paid. We are talking 1 minute max for me to wake up chuck something on and answer the door.

Every other courrier if they don’t get an answer take the parcel back, or leave it in the safe space if noted and can be done so unless it needs a signature.

I blame the driver as that is the only person who could have removed the package in a minute maximum. A picture of the item left on the window sill does not constitute delivery of said item.

I actually cannot believe people are defending a company with shoddy practises, poor pay and no doubt using anyone and any sub contractors to deliver parcels.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

One minute max from you, five minutes max from the next bloke, the next blokes in the shower…see how it adds up? When you’re getting 30-40 pence per drop you can’t waste that kind of time.

I know you don’t care what they get paid - I’m just telling you why they don’t stand there twiddling their thumbs waiting on you. If you did the job you’d do exactly the same.

And if they really are only getting 30 or 40p per time then more fool the drivers for doing such work at such rates. If people didn’t work for them doing it they would not have a business.

I wouldn’t call them fools - they’re desperate. The alternative is starving and freezing.

I’m not sure if they even get a petrol allowance - I think they have to pay their own petrol on 30 pence a drop.

JeffA:

simcor:

JeffA:

simcor:

JeffA:
If they stood at the door waiting while you get to the door they would only make 20 pence an hour. Do you know the kind of money they get paid? Dont blame the drivers - blame the boss at amazon for paying so little they have no other option but drop and leave.

If amazon paid £15-20 an hour (which they could afford easily) the driver would be glad to stay and have a cup of tea with you.

Not delivered by Amazon of which I’ve never had an issue with Amazon deliveries by them.

I couldn’t care less what the drivers get paid. We are talking 1 minute max for me to wake up chuck something on and answer the door.

Every other courrier if they don’t get an answer take the parcel back, or leave it in the safe space if noted and can be done so unless it needs a signature.

I blame the driver as that is the only person who could have removed the package in a minute maximum. A picture of the item left on the window sill does not constitute delivery of said item.

I actually cannot believe people are defending a company with shoddy practises, poor pay and no doubt using anyone and any sub contractors to deliver parcels.

One minute max from you, five minutes max from the next bloke, the next blokes in the shower…see how it adds up? When you’re getting 30-40 pence per drop you can’t waste that kind of time.

I know you don’t care what they get paid - I’m just telling you why they don’t stand there twiddling their thumbs waiting on you. If you did the job you’d do exactly the same.

And if they really are only getting 30 or 40p per time then more fool the drivers for doing such work at such rates. If people didn’t work for them doing it they would not have a business.

I wouldn’t call them fools - they’re desperate. The alternative is starving and freezing.

I’m not sure if they even get a petrol allowance - I think they have to pay their own petrol on 30 pence a drop.

No one is that desperate to work for pathetic companies like evri as a self employed courrier. There are other jobs that pay way better. So don’t give me that as an excuse. I’d clean bog u bends without gloves before taking any of these stupid self employed cheating bull ■■■■ jobs that are advertised all the time. And I wonder why they constantly advertise oh yeah cause suckers get sucked in.

^^
But there’s no flexibility in bog cleaning. If you don’t go in every day and clean the bog it would be waist high within a week.

With parcel deliveries you can’t work around taking the kids to school, calling in to feed your elderly mother etc. It’s awful money but for people who can’t work 9-5 every day it’s all you can get. It might even be a second job - they might clean bogs from 6am to 12 then go delivering.

JeffA:
^^
But there’s no flexibility in bog cleaning. If you don’t go in every day and clean the bog it would be waist high within a week.

With parcel deliveries you can’t work around taking the kids to school, calling in to feed your elderly mother etc. It’s awful money but for people who can’t work 9-5 every day it’s all you can get. It might even be a second job - they might clean bogs from 6am to 12 then go delivering.

You should be the ambassador for companies like Evri. God knows they need it.

No time for Evri but those people doing 170 drops a day for a pittance have my sympathy.

JeffA:
No time for Evri but those people doing 170 drops a day for a pittance have my sympathy.

Exactly this.

I know someone (family friend) that worked for Hermes previously and during busy times we’d take a few deliveries off her and deliver them for her. Some drops didn’t have a safe place to drop it, so we kept hold of it for a few more visits.
After 6 visits with no one in, we gave those back. And those visits were spread throughout a 2-3 day period.
One of the reasons people do it is it fits in with their day of dropping kids off at school, doing some dels then getting kids again and going to missed drops in the evening.
If you get a run in city centres you can earn a pound or two per drop, and have many drops in a small area, that’s how some get by. (well, used to be)

I check who’s delivering anything before I order, if its Herpes or Yodel, I buy it elsewhere.

JeffA:

simcor:

JeffA:

This is exactly the same on the bins; people get arsey when we don’t collect their bin when it’s not presented at the edge of their property but if 1800 people in a day were to leave theirs 10 yards from the edge, you can see how the extra time/effort adds up.

if only Evri had got a handle on this leaving-your-parcel-somewhere malarkey theyd have finished Royal mail off as regards parcels .Theyve got the tracking ,speedy delivery,price etc spot on but this botched handover is really letting them down. Theyd be better to have a back up guy who all he does is run round with parcels that werent able to be signed for the previous day

My usual Tesco home delivery driver is an absolute diamond as it happens. He’s sat without complaint in my shed watching Homes under the Hammer as I’ve taken his keys (for his own safety of course) I’m currently unloading and checking my delivery and have informed him that it’ll be between one and seven hours to complete the check due to Covid shortages. I’ve also thoughtfully installed a coffee machine that doesn’t work to make his life less miserable.

:smiley:

the maoster:
My usual Tesco home delivery driver is an absolute diamond as it happens. He’s sat without complaint in my shed watching Homes under the Hammer as I’ve taken his keys (for his own safety of course) I’m currently unloading and checking my delivery and have informed him that it’ll be between one and seven hours to complete the check due to Covid shortages. I’ve also thoughtfully installed a coffee machine that doesn’t work to make his life less miserable.

:smiley: Excellent !

Happened to a few people. Drivers delivering parcels and taking a picture then taking off with the parcel.

birminghammail.co.uk/news/m … s-25602158

Delivery driver found dead in van after '14 hour-long shifts

leicestermercury.co.uk/news … an-7863556

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:

Bless him. I remember my first part time job.

rearaxle:

That may be true but without knowing why he died it could be entirely not related to being a courrier driver.

Rip Driver.

the maoster:

:laughing: :laughing: quite superb!

If you order crap on line it’s down to you to be in a position to receive it. it’s not like you can’t track things , click and collect or leave to a safe place even timed deliveries If you live in a flat with out intercom do what most do is get the management company have a security box fitted or supply a code for the door in the leave in a safe place part of the tracking. Most of the parcel companies are on there knees with a major player on the verge of folding and many already left the UK market.

Lets bring in the state into a basic two party comercial transaction. What could go wrong hun? If state intervention would solve the ethical and moral degradation of your neighbourhood, why stop with regulations on parcel delivery? I vote for full state control of all means of distribution. Lets make utopia happen

I was a franchised driver at DPD for 13 years and although they were the better paying firm they’re all trying to save costs now and would rather use service partners instead of individual self employed couriers. For example 5 years ago I’d get £1.90 per successful delivery, up to 150+ stops a day, 5-7 days a week plus VAT. It used to be worth it, but as of last year DPD capped the franchised deliveries to around 80-90 so I left. The service partners pay there guys around £90 a day for 150+ stops.

These firms really don’t care about your complaints though, they’re all dealing with a million plus parcels a night and at this time of year they just want it gone. They just accept things will go missing. Plus if they do receive claims they only bill the drivers for the item anyway, it’s always much better to deal with the seller directly about missing parcels as your contract is with them and not the delivery firm. That’s why they make it so hard for you to contact them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk