Parcel companies. Should they be more regulated

osark:
Lets bring in the state into a basic two party comercial transaction. What could go wrong hun? If state intervention would solve the ethical and moral degradation of your neighbourhood, why stop with regulations on parcel delivery? I vote for full state control of all means of distribution. Lets make utopia happen

Is the choice between Full State Control and Free Market Anarchy?
How about a bit of Real World Balance?

The State intervenes in “two party commercial transactions” all the time.
Minimum wage, holiday rights, monopoly rules, safety standards, selling prohibited goods, hours of work laws, pension rights.

Lots can go wrong if there is too much intervention.
Lots can go wrong if there is too little too.

Takes the ■■■■ they can leave items unsigned, even during covid they would wait for you to answer the door before legging it.

2 mins saved every drop when you’re doing 150 drops a day soon adds up. At first it was for driver safety (fair enough) now it’s just another example of using covid restrictions to increase productivity/profitability.

Next day delivery? forget it, traffic was bad.

Timed delivery? forget it, traffic was bad.

Pay a better wage and maybe you’ll have sufficent staff to get all the vans out on time!

Raise a refund request online with Amazon, from my experience they’ll just refund the item and thats the last you’ll hear of it (unless you have a history of requesting refunds).

I still have a couple of unopened boxes sat in my garage where i’ve requested a refund due to non delivery and a few days later the item has shown up.

ItsChopper:
I was a franchised driver at DPD for 13 years and although they were the better paying firm they’re all trying to save costs now and would rather use service partners instead of individual self employed couriers. For example 5 years ago I’d get £1.90 per successful delivery, up to 150+ stops a day, 5-7 days a week plus VAT. It used to be worth it, but as of last year DPD capped the franchised deliveries to around 80-90 so I left. The service partners pay there guys around £90 a day for 150+ stops.

These firms really don’t care about your complaints though, they’re all dealing with a million plus parcels a night and at this time of year they just want it gone. They just accept things will go missing. Plus if they do receive claims they only bill the drivers for the item anyway, it’s always much better to deal with the seller directly about missing parcels as your contract is with them and not the delivery firm. That’s why they make it so hard for you to contact them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post.

In the haulage world it has been explained to me like this:

A haulage company losing goods has to pay to replace those goods.
If for example they lost in transit 6 sets of wet weather gear, they would have to pay the supply (less than wholesale) cost of those items. On bulk deliveries, a few cartons that are missing or are a bit light are often not noticed.

The client might make a claim for non/short delivery, and gets the goods, albeit late, after the supplier sends out 2nd set at the haulier`s cost.
The haulage drivers (allegedly) get to stay dry at minimal or zero cost.

Insurance companies not involved, so no fraud investigation from them. The police aren`t involved as it is not usually reported as theft anyway, just a short/late delivery.

It is theft.
Same as nicking a diamond necklace from a jeweller`s, but haggling to pay for it, only if you are collared walking out it with it in your hands.

JeffA:
[

I wouldn’t call them fools - they’re desperate. The alternative is starving and freezing.

I’m not sure if they even get a petrol allowance - I think they have to pay their own petrol on 30 pence a drop.

30p per drop is 30 seconds per drop at minimum wage (disregarding any expenses!). I can’t believe even the royal mail posty delivering to every house on a street could achieve that?

stu675:

JeffA:
[

I wouldn’t call them fools - they’re desperate. The alternative is starving and freezing.

I’m not sure if they even get a petrol allowance - I think they have to pay their own petrol on 30 pence a drop.

30p per drop is 30 seconds per drop at minimum wage (disregarding any expenses!). I can’t believe even the royal mail posty delivering to every house on a street could achieve that?

Minimum wage doesn`t apply to “self employed” or “LTD” or a “franchise holder” or whatever.

As posted above some companies are putting (real or camouflaged employees) self employed etc at arm`s length by using “service partners”. They are trying to isolate themselves from the predictable effects of cutting what they pay for deliveries.
Put in buffer companies to carry the can, or more likely, fold and disappear.

Who loses?
The drivers working for a pittance, because even a pittance is better than UC.
The drivers working for a legit company, and the company itself, who can`t compete with their proper rates.

Who wins?
The big company setting ever lower rates.

The Free Market model we see now benefits the richer more than the poorer. Wealth inequality is growing.

chester1:
If you order crap on line it’s down to you to be in a position to receive it. it’s not like you can’t track things , click and collect or leave to a safe place even timed deliveries If you live in a flat with out intercom do what most do is get the management company have a security box fitted or supply a code for the door in the leave in a safe place part of the tracking. Most of the parcel companies are on there knees with a major player on the verge of folding and many already left the UK market.

Who is the major player close to folding, and what’s your source?

chester1:
If you order crap on line it’s down to you to be in a position to receive it. it’s not like you can’t track things , click and collect or leave to a safe place even timed deliveries If you live in a flat with out intercom do what most do is get the management company have a security box fitted or supply a code for the door in the leave in a safe place part of the tracking. Most of the parcel companies are on there knees with a major player on the verge of folding and many already left the UK market.

Well that is where you are wrong… There wasn’t any tracking other than out for delivery on that day. No tracking other than out for delivery and delivered.

I was in for delivery as I stated and was up and out of bed in a minute max and out the door.

No timed delivery option or click and collect option.

I have an intercom and there is a trade button for trade access as I stated, hence how he got into the communal entrance to leave the parcel and take a photo of it. Except the driver took the photo of it and took the parcel away with him, thinking it might have something worthwhile in it. That is the only explanation. Hermes aka Evri are well known for employing rouge van and car drivers that do take photos of the item being left then walking off with it.

I have regularly had parcels left at my door or in my safe place, if I can leave a safe place location when I know it is being delivered I always do. Never had one go missing before, nor the guy who lives in the flat on the 2nd floor who regularly has packages left on top of the mail boxes and they have never gone missing either.

I had a yodel delivery the other day and the driver had to hand it to me and take a photo of me holding it in my hand, even though it would have fitted in my postbox.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

As I also said I have had to speak to the seller. No refund option available through Amazon, no call or email from Evri no surprise there.

I just hope the business gets his money back from Evri otherwise his business loses out.

communal entrance, what about the other residents? i once lived somewhere where a homebody neighbour who acted as a lookout took in parcels etc if nobody was in . He acted like the good neighbour then i had a parcel go missing so i then posted myself a gold wrapped empty pizza box and that never got to me either.I rang up Royal Mail turns out the postie shouldnt have been leaving Anything with a neighbour and the arrangement stopped . Later i discovered this neighbour had keys too! and got my locks changed. Few weeks on he asked me did i know he had a key to my place [to let in tradesmen] at that point i knew /he knew id changed locks and i just bluffed it out "NO probs mate,you keep that key never know when i may need you blah blah.

corij:
communal entrance, what about the other residents? i once lived somewhere where a homebody neighbour who acted as a lookout took in parcels etc if nobody was in . He acted like the good neighbour then i had a parcel go missing so i then posted myself a gold wrapped empty pizza box and that never got to me either.I rang up Royal Mail turns out the postie shouldnt have been leaving Anything with a neighbour and the arrangement stopped . Later i discovered this neighbour had keys too! and got my locks changed. Few weeks on he asked me did i know he had a key to my place [to let in tradesmen] at that point i knew /he knew id changed locks and i just bluffed it out "NO probs mate,you keep that key never know when i may need you blah blah.

Both of my neighbours upstairs are sound.

An oldish guy up the top, and a woman who lives above me.

I also live in a village where the crime rate is low.

Which?
“The Consumer Rights Act, which came into force on 1 October 2015, says the retailer is responsible for the condition of the goods until the goods are received by you, or by someone else you have nominated to receive them on your behalf such as a neighbour.
This means that the retailer is liable for the services provided by the couriers it employs - the delivery firm is not liable.
There is a default delivery period of 30 days during which the retailer needs to deliver the goods to you unless a longer period has been agreed.”

As said before the seller has a contract with the courier, not between customer/courier.

If you have the couriers number and choose to use it, thats up to you, but,
the onus is on the supplier to deliver the goods to you.
Always contact them ASAP. Leave a paper (e-mail) trail.

As others have said, I look at who is doing the delivery before I click on any button.
I find that having a collection point works well for me. Fortunately there is one where I do my weekly shop.

Franglais:
Which?
“The Consumer Rights Act, which came into force on 1 October 2015, says the retailer is responsible for the condition of the goods until the goods are received by you, or by someone else you have nominated to receive them on your behalf such as a neighbour.
This means that the retailer is liable for the services provided by the couriers it employs - the delivery firm is not liable.
There is a default delivery period of 30 days during which the retailer needs to deliver the goods to you unless a longer period has been agreed.”

As said before the seller has a contract with the courier, not between customer/courier.

As others have said, I look at who is doing the delivery before I click on any button.
I find that having a collection point works well for me. Fortunately there is one where I do my weekly shop.

I’m aware of all that but these scum are committing theft and getting away with it, that’s the issue here.

And nowhere did it state who the delivery would be by until I got the tracking info.

simcor:

Franglais:
Which?

I’m aware of all that but these scum are committing theft and getting away with it, that’s the issue here.

And nowhere did it state who the delivery would be by until I got the tracking info.

I agree that as described, it is theft.

Did you receive the goods? No? Then the goods were not stolen from you.
The goods were stolen from the courier or from the sender.

Until you receive the goods, it is little to do with you.
You tell the sender “Goods not received” and it is down to them to sort it out.

They have responsibility to deliver, and they chose the courier. Their problem.
I know it is hard if it is summat you need now, but, that is how I see it.

If the sender is happy to pay for a courier that “loses” lots of parcels, to get a cheaper rate than from a more reliable courier, that is their choice.
We don`t always get a choice about delivery, its true. Up to us to click or not.

Franglais:

simcor:

Franglais:
Which?

I agree that as described, it is theft.

Did you receive the goods? No? Then the goods were not stolen from you.
The goods were stolen from the courier or from the sender.

Until you receive the goods, it is little to do with you.
You tell the sender “Goods not received” and it is down to them to sort it out.

They have responsibility to deliver, and they chose the courier. Their problem.
I know it is hard if it is summat you need now, but, that is how I see it.

If the sender is happy to pay for a courier that “loses” lots of parcels, to get a cheaper rate than from a more reliable courier, that is their choice.
We don`t always get a choice about delivery, its true. Up to us to click or not.

The seller is sending out a new parcel with DHL this time at more cost. But as is said earlier or sure I did, he does not choose to use them but has difficulty sending hazardous products by most couriers hence having to use Evri not out of choice most of the time as they will happily take them.

I’m got some shifts with Evri doing class 1 work next week. I’ll have a look in the warehouse for your order if you want?

MikeDBristol:
I’m got some shifts with Evri doing class 1 work next week. I’ll have a look in the warehouse for your order if you want?

Hey !
Nice friendly offer to help the OP out.
As it happens they lost one of my parcels too.
I think they got the address wrong, which is why it went missing, but it`ll clearly be marked “Return To Rolex” on the outside, so, if you got a minute spare? ta.

Franglais:

MikeDBristol:

Hey !
Nice friendly offer to help the OP out.
As it happens they lost one of my parcels too.
I think they got the address wrong, which is why it went missing, but it`ll clearly be marked “Return To Rolex” on the outside, so, if you got a minute spare? ta.

They lost an order of mine last year as well. I had the same problem as everyone else, I couldn’t get hold of anyone and I eventually gave up and managed to get a refund.

At least this job won’t be dealing with the public, it’ll be trunk runs and collections.

If you look on Google for reviews, it’s hundreds of 1 star complaints about missing orders. They are a shambles of a company but I’m also desperate to get some money in my bank. We’ll see how long I can stick it.

the maoster:
My usual Tesco home delivery driver is an absolute diamond as it happens. He’s sat without complaint in my shed watching Homes under the Hammer as I’ve taken his keys (for his own safety of course) I’m currently unloading and checking my delivery and have informed him that it’ll be between one and seven hours to complete the check due to Covid shortages. I’ve also thoughtfully installed a coffee machine that doesn’t work to make his life less miserable.

This has to be the best post I have seen this year, I have to admit that I did have to read it twice before it clicked :smiley:

dave docwra:

the maoster:
My usual Tesco home delivery driver is an absolute diamond as it happens. He’s sat without complaint in my shed watching Homes under the Hammer as I’ve taken his keys (for his own safety of course) I’m currently unloading and checking my delivery and have informed him that it’ll be between one and seven hours to complete the check due to Covid shortages. I’ve also thoughtfully installed a coffee machine that doesn’t work to make his life less miserable.

This has to be the best post I have seen this year, I have to admit that I did have to read it twice before it clicked :smiley:

well dave once you clicked you collected… :wink: get it :unamused: :laughing:

To be honest never had a problem with Hermes / Evri deliveries, and I live in a village that when mentioned people say where`s that never heard of it. The poorest for parcel delivery is Royal Mail even with a tracking facility,I have ordered stuff from suppliers in the same area and one order can come two days earlier than RM.Order via Amazon Marketplace at least you get a delivery date if not a time,if its Prime you get a rough estimated time and can track it 8 drops away from you,then you can be ready at the door if need be.