Oil level "high"

Sometimes when I check the oil,I get this.
Am I supposed to defect it?
Or will it just burn the excess oil off?

Could be overfilled at the last service or it could be fuel getting into the sump, indicating other and potentially serious issues. If you’ve got a truck without a dipstick, defect it as an overfilled sump can create major gasket and seal failure. You have no way of knowing how much of an overfill you have. Always cover your arse.

If you top it up to the ful mark on the electronic dipstick when cold, when hot it will typically be above the full mark.

If you have a regular vehicle you will know what the level needs to be cold (on mine about 2/3rds up the gauge) to show just about full when hot, and also know the vehicle’s typical oil usage so know at what point to add a couple of litres.

I can remember on some types ( I think DAFs ) that you’d get an inaccurate low reading if you didn’t take the dipstick out and wipe it then replace it to take the reading.It could result in serious over filling.

The low and full mark are calibrated to be accurate at cold.

Ok,thanks for the replies

Star down under.:
Could be overfilled at the last service or it could be fuel getting into the sump, indicating other and potentially serious issues. If you’ve got a truck without a dipstick, defect it as an overfilled sump can create major gasket and seal failure. You have no way of knowing how much of an overfill you have. Always cover your arse.

Generally speaking its not an issue. Before they started removing dipsticks I used to check when getting this error and it was like Juddian said.

Yea, if the oil has been brimed to the top by an idiot it is a big issue. But usually its just enough to trip the sensor into thinking it has been overfilled when hot. Or sometimes when going around bends if I remember my old DAF correctly lol.

The other side of the issue was quite common being it moaning about low oil until it warmed up as well. Only ever had this issue with DAFs to be honest. (Oil warnings for no good reason) I suspect their sensors are just pretty primitive compared to other makes.

adam277:

Star down under.:

Generally speaking its not an issue. Before they started removing dipsticks I used to check when getting this error and it was like Juddian said.

Yea, if the oil has been brimed to the top by an idiot it is a big issue. But usually its just enough to trip the sensor into thinking it has been overfilled when hot. Or sometimes when going around bends if I remember my old DAF correctly lol.

The other side of the issue was quite common being it moaning about low oil until it warmed up as well. Only ever had this issue with DAFs to be honest. (Oil warnings for no good reason) I suspect their sensors are just pretty primitive compared to other makes.

You had a low oil warning?
But found out that it disappeared when warmed up?
Remind me never to buy a vehicle from you. :smiley:

Franglais:

adam277:

Star down under.:

You had a low oil warning?
But found out that it disappeared when warmed up?
Remind me never to buy a vehicle from you. :smiley:

Hey, not my vehicle. If I remember right is was when it was really cold. Like snow on the road.
But I did check the oil lol. It was a bit of a beater DAF. Constantly throwing ABS warnings, and something to do with the ECU or some crap.

adam277:

Star down under.:

Generally speaking, with an attitude like that, if you were in my employ, you soon wouldn’t be.
The OP has no way of determining if it’s a minor overfill from a recent service, a major overfill or a potentially catastrophic mechanical failure. It’s total stupidity to ignore and second guess faults and warnings.
What would the boss say if you told him a fault came up , but you didn’t think it was worth bothering about and now you need to spend $50,000 on an engine rebuild? I’ll tell you what I’d say, it’s two words, three effs.
Always cover your arse.

An overfilled engine can be really dangerous.

YouTube “diesel runaway”

And no, turning the key off won’t stop them.

You have two choices:

1. Run, and then film from a safe distance for your YouTube channel. Snuff movies sell well.

2. Try to stifle the engine by either squirting a CO2 fire extinguisher down the air intake or putting a pair of football socks or similar into it.

GasGas:

YouTube “diesel runaway”

You have two choices:

1. Run, and then film from a safe distance for your YouTube channel. Snuff movies sell well.

2. Try to stifle the engine by either squirting a CO2 fire extinguisher down the air intake or putting a pair of football socks or similar into it.

Also could try to stall the engine in 8th or 16th gear if its a manual gearbox, perhaps selecting drive on an auto might stall the engine (like what occasionally happens when doing a tug test after hooking up to a trailer. Preferably do so while standing on the brakes with handbrake applied etc. If at first it doesn’t work then a brisk walk/run away from the inevitable launch of pistons that will likely follow…

Am I to understand that when you do your Morning Pre Trip Inspection (walk around ) you don’t physically check your fluids ?

ytrehodluap:

GasGas:

YouTube “diesel runaway”

You have two choices:

Also could try to stall the engine in 8th or 16th gear if its a manual gearbox, perhaps selecting drive on an auto might stall the engine (like what occasionally happens when doing a tug test after hooking up to a trailer. Preferably do so while standing on the brakes with handbrake applied etc. If at first it doesn’t work then a brisk walk/run away from the inevitable launch of pistons that will likely follow…

And that’s an interesting question…could you stall a truck with an AMT and a runaway engine?
Bear in mind the engine can produce up to a staggering 10x its rated output when running away!

Our trucks run on high all the time. Courtesy of our ‘‘proper drivers’’ who insist on topping it up EVERY day especially if the boss is walking around the yard and can see them do it in person

I look at the oil pressure gauge when the engine is running and under load - if that’s not (much more) over the halfway mark (10bar?) I’m fine

ETS:
Our trucks run on high all the time. Courtesy of our ‘‘proper drivers’’ who insist on topping it up EVERY day especially if the boss is walking around the yard and can see them do it in person

I look at the oil pressure gauge when the engine is running and under load - if that’s not (much more) over the halfway mark (10bar?) I’m fine

?
Except when practically empty, what has oil pressure got to do with the oil level?

Franglais:

ETS:

?
Except when practically empty, what has oil pressure got to do with the oil level?

Seriously !!! You don’t know ■■
Low oil gives a low oil pressure, High Level gives a High Pressure reading. By checking your oil pressure meter you have a rough idea of whether you may need oil or not. However you need to know what the normal pressure reading is before you can >>>GUESS
… However you can’t beat a good dip on a stick !!!

Sabretooth:
Low oil gives a low oil pressure, High Level gives a High Pressure reading.

I will leave this little gem here.
:smiley:

Franglais:

Sabretooth:
Low oil gives a low oil pressure, High Level gives a High Pressure reading.

I will leave this little gem here.
:smiley:

Seriously, Sabretooth hasn’t a clue.

Franglais:

ETS:

?

The only thing more embarrassing than being wrong is getting caught by Franglais