Tech Tips for Truckers. Part 1

So what’s the technical reason for strictly observing the correct lubricant levels in engine, gearbox and differential sumps?

“When the sump level is too high, the oil can be churned and aerated by the moving components, leading to air entrainment…and air contamination warrants immediate attention.”

Here’s the crunch: “Air has no load-bearing capability and when compressed, air creates tremendous heat. For a machine serviced by an oil bath, the collapse of the oil film as bubbles pass through the component interfaces causes surface wear and destruction and sets components on a path to failure. For circulating systems, as an air bubble passes through the pump, the bubble is compressed to system pressures. As the bubble collapses, it creates enormous heat, potentially causing flash vaporization of the oil around the super-heating bubble.” Phew! And you thought you were building in a safety margin by overfilling.

slow tip is it?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

chaversdad:
slow tip is it?

chaversdad:
slow tip is it?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
my fountain of knowledge aint so big but i dont mind sharing :laughing: :laughing:

Also…an over-filled sump will often blow seals and throw all the oil over the floor.

Low sump oil level can increase engine temps,even at the low mark.[ Engine oil is a part of the cooling system,albiet a small part]

Over-filling gearboxes and diffs can also blow seals,due to thrashing oil blocking the air vents
in the casings.

207 Your times up!

Wheel Nut:
207 Your times up!

HaHa…well spotted Mr Wheel Nut. You’re clearly a left-hand threaded Nut, similar to me :laughing: