oil level high

Evening people roped up the oil in a xf 105 drove for around 2 hours and all was OK been parked a while now checked the level and it’s saying oil level to but it’s OK when running no warnings will it burn off or is it an issue cheers

Were you parked on a hill or one side of your truck up on the pavement? Sometimes that can cause the high oil level warning to come on.

No pretty level think I may have over done.it

Should be ok if it’s just a little too high, much too high and it can blow oil seals and even cause a runaway engine.

tilt the cab and check it with the dipstick as the dash readout aint always accurate , mines a mile out

i was always told to never top the oil up to the max mark always half to three quarters at most on a daf.

Me to but as I said thing I over done it question is will burn of other would cause damage

tilt cab if you can and manually check it, if its just over then it will burn off but if its way off the dip stick then damage may be caused too the engine

How much over is it on the dipstick?

If you had to add oil then the engine is letting it past the rings just over what period will it take to remove the over fill is the question.

Own Account Driver:

It’s between the max mark and the end of the racing on dash but I am sitting back a bit as airs dropped out of unit

I have been told that tilting the cab and using the dipstick is the surefire way to check - apparently they have filled them to the correct level on the dipstick but then the sensor reports oil level high.

scotstrucker:
i was always told to never top the oil up to the max mark always half to three quarters at most on a daf.

Sorry scotstrucker I never saw your post ,but go to the top of the class

bjd:

Own Account Driver:

It’s between the max mark and the end of the racing on dash but I am sitting back a bit as airs dropped out of unit

It sounds like you’ve run it a bit and it’s heated up a bit and thinned so more has run back into the sump.

I’m assuming you got the warning after you went for a spin, parked up, then switched back on again.

Not going to do it any good but shouldn’t do anything catastrophic either. I would see about getting somewhere to ■■■■ some out through the dipstick tube.

Cheers fellas

You really should drain it to roughly the 3/4 mark which is what DAF specify …Though if no oil level high warning then you are ok…
As you no doubt know you will not get a reading on the dash in the mornings as the oil as to be min of 70 degrees before you will get a reading .

norb:
You really should drain it to roughly the 3/4 mark which is what DAF specify …Though if no oil level high warning then you are ok…
As you no doubt know you will not get a reading on the dash in the mornings as the oil as to be min of 70 degrees before you will get a reading .

Ours appear to give a reading even in Winter with a stone cold (i.e. been standing for several hours) engine.

That is a first to be honest ,as even when you change the oil you wont get a reading on the dash…Th XF 95 would give a reading after being allowed to settle for 15 mins wether hot or cold ,but with the 105 it went through the engine ecu instead of the VIC which requires the engine oil to be up to temp…But I won’t doubt that your 105 does as you say

Ah - apologies. I had no idea different models (or even different versions of the same model) would behave differently. In my innocence, I assumed that a Daf with an “electronic dipstick” was much the same as any other. Consider me thoroughly chastened.

I have a small head start 19years on them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: