oil level high

sometimes the dash will read as an overfill, & on tilting the cab the dipstick will read correctly. Also it has been known to read wrong on the dash if there’s an electrical fault.

Harry Monk:
Should be ok if it’s just a little too high, much too high and it can blow oil seals and even cause a runaway engine.

Harry Harry, we all know after BKings definitive answer that engines CANNOT and WILL NOT ever run away on their own lube oil, go to the back of the class ! :wink: :wink:

raymundo:

Harry Monk:
Should be ok if it’s just a little too high, much too high and it can blow oil seals and even cause a runaway engine.

Harry Harry, we all know after BKings definitive answer that engines CANNOT and WILL NOT ever run away on their own lube oil, go to the back of the class ! :wink: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: brilliant

bonnie lass:
sometimes the dash will read as an overfill, & on tilting the cab the dipstick will read correctly. Also it has been known to read wrong on the dash if there’s an electrical fault.[/quotIf you get the above situation then the electronic part requires recalibration…

All dashboard warnings on a Daf XF should be taken with a pinch of salt :laughing:
I once had one that told me I was low on oil,water,had no fuel or adblue and that I had a nearside bulb out. It was 6 months old
BTW I checked all of the above manually of course and they were all 100% fine. Went all the way from Glasgow to Liverpool and back again with no issues.

The water one is always on ,to top it up correctly so it doesn’t come on you should dump the air out the suspension…

As for taking the warning with a pinch of salt especially on a 6 moth old motor ,would land someone with a huge bill as warranty wouldn’t cover it .Remember the ecu will tell how long you have driven with a fault…I guess it was a Euro 6 model as before that DAF didn’t have a bulb out warning system …

My Iveco flashed up a low oil warning a few months back when I was on my way to Salisbury.
It only had a service A few weeks before , but the place we use is useless, last service they left the cap of the oil filler. I didn’t find out until I got it back to the yard and there was oil everywhere. :unamused:

Anyway, I didn’t trust the garage enough to have actually refilled it and ignore the reading, so I pulled over and checked the dip. Oil level was reading high as you’d expect for being driving for a few hours. I did my job then had a 45 and checked the dip again at the end of it, oil level was spot on, even though the dash was still saying it was empty.

Next day it was till reading empty, checked the dip again manually and it was spot on.
Next day, it had miracously fixed it self and was showing full.

Moral of the story, trust your eyes and not some stupid electric sensor.

norb:

raymundo:

Harry Monk:

Blimey forget that it lost me when it started talking about DAF’s where you have to tilt the cab to use the dipstick and that’s supposed to be progress. :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :laughing:

Meanwhile,at least in the case of the old 85,then I can certainly remember being told ( rightly ) by our workshops in no uncertain terms exactly what Harry said and to dip it more than once especially when it had been left for a while.Because the reading on the stick would often show ( much ) lower than what was in the engine for some reason that I never did find out.Then you’d top it up then find out it was over filled when it was dipped again.

Carryfast:

norb:

raymundo:

Harry Monk:

Blimey forget that it lost me when it started talking about DAF’s where you have to tilt the cab to use the dipstick and that’s supposed to be progress. :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :laughing:

Meanwhile,at least in the case of the old 85,then I can certainly remember being told ( rightly ) by our workshops in no uncertain terms exactly what Harry said and to dip it more than once especially when it had been left for a while.Because the reading on the stick would often show ( much ) lower than what was in the engine for some reason that I never did find out.Then you’d top it up then find out it was over filled when it was dipped again.

It was mainly the length of time it takes the oil to settle back in to the sump…I preferred the dipstick under the grill,but technology is king nowdays ,the more you can get a ecu the better apparently…With th oil level reading now on the dash ,they reckon the driver has no need to access a dipstick …Please don’t shoot the messenger :frowning:

norb:

bonnie lass:
sometimes the dash will read as an overfill, & on tilting the cab the dipstick will read correctly. Also it has been known to read wrong on the dash if there’s an electrical fault.[/quotIf you get the above situation then the electronic part requires recalibration…

That’s one for the workshop guys :confused: