Durham A1 crash: Lorry driver was browsing dating sites

A lorry driver who was browsing dating sites at the wheel has been jailed for a crash that killed three people.

David Daglish, 57, and Elaine Sullivan, 59, of Seaham, and Paul Mullen, 51, of Washington, died in the crash on the A1(M) in County Durham last July.

Ion Nicu Onut, of the Scottish Borders, admitted three counts of causing death by dangerous driving and was jailed for eight years and 10 months.

Onut’s phone showed he was browsing sites for 40 minutes before the crash.

Phone records confirmed he had been navigating between two dating sites, had spent almost £50 to engage with users and was looking at profiles and editing his own while driving, Durham Crown Court heard.

His lorry, laden with fertiliser, was moving at least 50mph over that time.

Onut, 41, originally from Romania but who had moved to Galashiels, had ignored warning signs to slow down and alerting drivers to a build-up of traffic caused by a spillage of handbrake fluid.

‘Casual ■■■■■■ partners’

Witnesses saw him driving erratically and weaving across lanes minutes before the collision, which occurred at around 6.15pm on 15 July on the northbound carriageway near junction 61 at Bowburn.

Judge James Adkin said: “You were not asleep at the wheel, which would have been bad enough. In fact you were trawling the internet on dating sites looking for casual ■■■■■■ partners.”

His lorry was travelling at 58mph when it hit a line of stationary traffic - first the Vauxhall Crossland in which Mr Daglish and his partner Ms Sullivan were travelling before smashing Mr Mullen’s Toyota Hilux under another lorry - and burst into flames.

There were two lorries and four cars involved in the collision, with three other people suffering serious injuries.

The lorry “careered out of control, destroying everything in its path” before ending up 100m down the carriageway past the point of the initial impact.

Nick Dry, prosecuting, said: “He was utterly engrossed in internet activity, in pursuit of ■■■■■■ gratification, over an extended period of time while in control of a large goods vehicle on a busy motorway.”

Lorry driver Michael Hosty and another man, Ryan Campbell, were commended for their bravery in rushing to help pull Onut free from his burning cab. Mr Hosty, who now has post-traumatic stress disorder, recalled grabbing him and saying: “Look, mate, if you don’t help me out we are both going to die.”

The consequences of Onut’s actions were “catastrophic”, the judge said.

Soldier Junior Sullivan, whose mother and stepfather died in the crash, told the court his life was “shattered” and he felt “unbearable rage at the sight of other drivers using their mobile phones”.

Hard-working family man Mr Mullen was a loving father to his three children and was about to become a grandfather, his daughter Orlaigh said.

Lauren Cawton, who survived the crash, was left with chronic leg pain and said her life had been ruined.

Fellow survivor Molly Smith said the crash left her feeling stressed, angry and guilty during the final weeks of her pregnancy.

Richard Bloomfield, defending, said Onut felt remorse and passed on an apology from the defendant for the “devastation” he caused.

Onut was also disqualified from driving for a total of 14 years and five months.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-59951710

I have no words. :smiling_imp:

Absolutely disgusting that this sort of thing goes on. But what are they doing to prevent it?
Everyday drivers (not just lorry drivers) are constantly looking at screens or texting messages.
Hopefully we are talking about the minority but I feel more needs to be done before this happens again. :imp:

jakethesnake:
But what are they doing to prevent it?
Everyday drivers (not just lorry drivers) are constantly looking at screens or texting messages.

The laws are changing this year, so I’d expect a crackdown campaign. Basically, under the new rules if the phone is in your hand, you’ll get the CU80 offence code, whereas right now there’s only a very limited number of things that fit the offence.

Not wishing to detract from the seriousness of the subject in any way but “a spillage of handbrake fluid” ?.

manski:
Not wishing to detract from the seriousness of the subject in any way but “a spillage of handbrake fluid” ?.

I assume it meant “brake fluid” as i am not aware there is a specific oil for handbrakes.

manski:

Dunno but I’m going to guess they meant hydraulic fluid

Zac_A:

jakethesnake:

The laws are changing this year, so I’d expect a crackdown campaign. Basically, under the new rules if the phone is in your hand, you’ll get the CU80 offence code, whereas right now there’s only a very limited number of things that fit the offence.

They need to bring in an automatic 6 month month driving ban if caught people are not put off by a fine and a few points a fine is an inconvenience not a deterrent and they know the risk of getting caught is small losing your licence is a big deal and this would have the desired effect.

Outrage in the comments yet when I mentioned here a few months that I phone the police when I see truck drivers watching films on their mobiles and tablets as they drive down the road I was mocked, the usual grass etc comments.

jakethesnake:
Absolutely disgusting that this sort of thing goes on. But what are they doing to prevent it?
Hopefully we are talking about the minority but I feel more needs to be done before this happens again. :imp:

Let’s not get carried away with the hype Jake.
It was a dangerous, unprofessional thing to do, that is and was an absolute.
But despite what we are attempted to be led to believe by those with some kind of vested interest, it ain’t as common as they say.
The vast majority of us would never scroll down a screen whilst driving, that is why it is always big news when somebody does and suffers the consequences.
If ‘‘they’’ had their way it would be the usual ‘tar us all with the sane brush’‘/chuck out the baby with the bath water ’ knee jerk reaction, by making constant surveillance cameras the norm.
No doubt those who believe everything we are told would be fully behind that, but then those of us with a more professional and responsible attitude would suffer…until the time those of us in that category all said ‘‘■■■■ this’’ and moved to pastures new, or just jacked it, to the point that the only ones left in the job would be the brain washed and the d/heads who do this sort of thing, being watched.
I know at least one is now poised to tell us…‘It’s going to come’’ :unamused: , but not just yet hopefully until I get the ■■■■ out of the job by retirement at least
So let’s keep things in perspective ffs. :wink:

Bin Man:

Zac_A:

jakethesnake:

They need to bring in an automatic 6 month month driving ban if caught people are not put off by a fine and a few points a fine is an inconvenience not a deterrent and they know the risk of getting caught is small losing your licence is a big deal and this would have the desired effect.

And seize their phone and destroy it.

Bin Man:

Just make using a mobile phone an automatic charge of dangerous driving regardless of whether it results in a crash or not.That makes it a criminal offence subject to prison sentence just like if it results in a crash.Why wait until they kill someone to throw the book at them.

KD02:

Bin Man:

Zac_A:

jakethesnake:

And seize their phone and destroy it.

Phones are easily replaced. Maybe they need to be banned from owning one [emoji23]

He also got, Jailing the defendant for eight years and 10 months

Yet plenty on here moan when police are out in un marked tractor units catching lorry drivers…

jakethesnake:

There has been a post on another thread in, I think, the last couple of days which criticises the Police for using a tractor unit specifically to catch lorry drivers doing things they shouldn’t while at the wheel. This is part of the problem, 56 mph is 82 feet per second. Looking at some Tapley Meter print out figures for speed, distance and time makes sobering reading and that is for iro 20mph.

cav551:
Looking at some Tapley Meter print out figures for speed, distance and time makes sobering reading and that is for iro 20mph.

Yet we’ve got recent cars which require numerous visual tv screen ‘infotainment’ menus to be navigated just to set the heater let alone people gawping at the continuous sat nav directional info or radio channel information.
Instead of large switches which could be turned/twisted without taking eyes from the road ahead.
As opposed to when it was illegal for any type of tv screen which could be used by the driver.

He should have no problem satisfying his ■■■■■■ desires in jail, he’s just going to need a big bar of soap to last him eight years and 10 months.

One of the…

Things that became apparent to me long before I took my class 1 was, motorways are boring in lorries. Back then, you’d have to down-change occaisionally but for the most part, it was mile a minute boredom.

Seems to me that today’s drivers are not prepared to leave the internet and concentrate for more than ten minutes at a time. This is almost a mirror image of Tomasz Kroker on the A34. Have we learned nothing?

Jail and permanent licence revocation.

Such a waste of so many lives over the most trivial of stuff.

Just seen the dashcam footage on the local news, from a car sat next to the one that was ran into.
■■■■ horrific,.it hits the car and pushes it along the central reservation, in front of the truck breaking up, and bursting into flames in a ball of fire.
Not nice to watch.

To the guy mentioning criticism of Police spying on truckers, not a problem catching these type, but …For every one they catch by shear chance using a phone or whatever, the other 99 are for trivial events with no REAL problem, but they jump on them with great gusto…that is my personal problem with it, but there you go.