Satnav or Truckers A to Z

shullbit:
Do you have an android phone. I just found out about an app called road lords, it is free, has live traffic and seems to be OK. It has low bridges weight limits etc. I haven’t really been able to test it properly because my job involves going down weight limits and country lanes on a daily basis and I don’t want it to route me away from somewhere I am trying to get to.

From this thread:
Postby nynemout42 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:53 pm

“I have tried using Road Lords which is a free app only available to Android phones (they have confirmed no iOS app available anytime soon). It does ok at best. It has sent me down a couple of roads that I had to turn around and double back because of a low bridge so their mapping data isn’t stable. The app has also frozen on me in the middle of driving and had to be force stopped and re-started. It has become so troublesome and undependable that I stopped using it. Such a shame as it has some really nice features. I recently bought a Carvass 9” HGV GPS (2nd hand for £20! What a deal…he thought!). Turns out Carvass GPS systems are spoofed Chinese knockoffs so they won’t update my mapping and it’s 3 years old now. I use Google Maps alongside it now to check traffic and ETA’s. I’m fairly new to driving so I don’t know the roads well yet. I’m still Agency driving as well so no companies provide me with a real satnav. I do find that using the two systems together is a pain in the arse…but it typically works. I have also sent in a feature request for Google to look at developing their own HGV app and charging a low monthly fee of around £4.99 so everyone can afford it. They have actually taken the idea onboard and are looking at the prospect of development. There is always Sygic which is iOS and Android but it is a paid app. I used it briefly as a trial and it seemed OK…but still not 100%…but better than Road Lords. There still seems to be no clear cut solution as of yet unless you want to part with that week’s salary mentioned previously."

If it works for you, great.
But it may not be for everyone. (Of course nothing is!) :smiley: