Navigation devices

Yo chums. I know this isn’t a riveting topic but I’ve reasons. The most popular question I’m asked on my site lorry-driver.com is what satnav I use. So I thought I’d make a poll and steer people here so they can get a reasonable idea of what would suit them. So, as above can you vote as to what you use and if it takes your fancy please tell us with pros and cons etc.

Personally my TomTom gave up a couple of years ago so I didn’t replace it. I rarely go anywhere new and if I need to I use Nokias (for now) Here Drive, a free smartphone app available on all platforms. I’ve also got a Microsoft Surface so I can look at maps on a big screen for route planning. I’ve not carried a paper map for over a decade. So, over to you…

Hey Luke,

Mine would be paper maps with combination of 2 if I have dedicated A-Z maps of area going into.

Use my paper A-Z with my HGV Snooper to check that’s going right way and an app called WAZE for traffic flows incidents in real time going to same place. Like the big trucker’s atlases for general route planning to get it clear in my head prior to departure and possible alternatives if closures happen.

If I’m likely to go into a county more than twice I usually buy the A-Z map good old Philip’s ones. They get stored in a box on my bunk but as I don’t night out much, the risk of getting a hernia is greatly reduced moving them around each night.

Understandably for trampers you wouldn’t want to be moving the library every night, hence I can understand the greater dependency of a Sat Nav, which isn’t a bad thing if common sense is applied during its use.

Controversial opinion on here I know! :laughing:

C

I haven’t used a paper map in ages - we have a truck-spec Garmin, which is terrible and an iPad with an internet connection, that runs Google Maps with live traffic etc. couldn’t ask for anything more. the new trucks don’t even have the Garmin anymore.

Eh up Luke. I always found a quick glance at the nicotine stained 1958 Esso map of Great Britain, which was stuck up with Sellotape on the office wall, was all I needed to get where I was going. :wink:
You appear to have missed this option off your poll :laughing: :laughing:
Regards. John.

I use satnav but always carry a recent map with bridge heights and always look to see where the delivery will be on google maps so I don’t get any nasty surprises. I cross reference the route on google maps if it’s a place out of the way just in case & whenever required.

Phillips navigator

I have a TomTom 5150 Truck nav and Google Maps. Not done me wrong so far.

Philips navigator and a standard Garmin car sat nav.

Chinese truck satnav which is working well after updates (apart from one weird glitch going in to Bookers Wellingborough) backed up with a truckers atlas and Google maps. I learnt yesterday to always use Google to check the postcode if you’re delivering to builder’s merchants for Hanson!

I use the Philips navigator trucker, Garmin satnav, Google and Google earth- which I find the most valuable as I can check out the delivery address and as usual find it doesnt match the address on my paperwork :unamused:

I’ve used a normal Garmin car Sat nav in conjunction which a map but now sat nav is knackered so if I go anywhere I don’t know it’s Google maps on my phone which is pretty good, I doubt I’ll bother with a Sat nav again but just upgrade my truckers atlas every now and then.

Afternoon peoples
I use a Garmin Satnav, real proper maps when planning and Google Earth for the final hit. The Garmin is only used for the final part to a new place, other than that, enjoy the scenery.
Paul

I just wish I had time to plan routes, the tm says the load needs to be delivered yesterday and I’m still 4 hours away with 20mins left on the card and if the customer doesn’t get his pallets of jam he threatens to kill one hostage every hour :frowning:

Usually know where i am going, so usually just my phone and google maps. I keep a Truckers Atlas in the back of the car and if i’m heading somewhere new i take it with me. I also have a TomTom but not used it in ages.

Just use google maps on my phone and a map to check for bridge heights and weight limits:)

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Ricekrispies:
I just wish I had time to plan routes, the tm says the load needs to be delivered yesterday and I’m still 4 hours away with 20mins left on the card and if the customer doesn’t get his pallets of jam he threatens to kill one hostage every hour :frowning:

Zb Ricekrispies,

That’s a lot of blood on your jams…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I sometimes still refer to the map drawn in the dirt on the side of the cab

If I’m going somewhere new, I check google maps and even street view, I plan my route then I programme the sat nat with my preferred route and off I go, I do carry a truck map but I’ve only used it once when I had no signal. My sat nav is a TomTom Go 700, it’s a car SatNav but it’s only showing me the route that I have chose. In nearly 5 years this method has never let me down (touches wood really quickly) :smiley:

Bridge height map and basic sat nav… as a guide only!
What more do you need ffs. :unamused:
Could not be arsed with latest tech over the top stuff mentioned, I’d get nothing done if I checked out every ■■■■ and cranny en route to every drop.
I’m an (old style) truck driver making deliveries not a ■■■■■■ astronaut navigating his mission to infinity and beyond. :unamused:
I’ve only started using sat nav in last few years :blush: . ( wouldn’t be without it now though :smiley: )

I use the star’s by night and the sun by day.