Level crossing for TNCSI

twitter.com/networkrail/status/ … qHHnA&s=19

Furious post from Network Rail about someone reversing over a crossing - “It’s almost unbelievable that this lorry driver decided to reverse over this level crossing, putting not only them but also the oncoming train and its passengers in danger.”

But something doesn’t add up, the comments suggest that
“Not going to admit that the lorry was delivering to your engineers, there was no way to turn around, and the crossing phone was locked?”

Anyone got experience of delivering to Network Rail or any thoughts on if this driver did the right thing?

I think that there is a culture of unhelpfulness on a lot of sites nowadays. Could no one have done something to assist. Maybe move some equipment and create a turning space. Its easier to stand and video an incident and have your 15 minutes of fame.

jurassic:
https://twitter.com/networkrail/status/1450524002070536200?t=1QmsZmnzdT-t7MDcjqHHnA&s=19

Furious post from Network Rail about someone reversing over a crossing - “It’s almost unbelievable that this lorry driver decided to reverse over this level crossing, putting not only them but also the oncoming train and its passengers in danger.”

But something doesn’t add up, the comments suggest that
“Not going to admit that the lorry was delivering to your engineers, there was no way to turn around, and the crossing phone was locked?”

Anyone got experience of delivering to Network Rail or any thoughts on if this driver did the right thing?

Driver was a plank. Should have stopped well clear of the crossing and phoned his boss/Network Rail for assistance. Indeed arguably he should not have gone across the crossing in the first place and sussed out where he was to deliver. If in doubt ring then.

Clown of the highest order. If you lived through Hixon (not far from Stoke) that was the game changer [Google it if you dont know about it]. Dangerous driving for that pal.

NOTE IF DOING ANYTHING NEAR A LIVE RAILWAY LINE RING THE XXXXX SIGNALLER !!! AND IF THEIR PHONE IS STUFFED USE YOUR OWN TO MAKE CONTACT. IT ISNT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Reversing is one issue, but he must have jumped the lights too! That barrier wouldn’t have come down before the stop lights flashed.

Quote From Lorry backs over LC and breaks barrier | Page 7 | RailUK Forums

Its been reported locally that the lorry driver approached the crossing and then a Network Rail employee in hi-Viz orange waved at him from the other side of the crossing, so the driver drove over to him.

At this point the error was realised and the Network Rail employee drove over the crossing in their car to clear the road for the lorry to follow reversing over. When the lorry hit the barriers, the Network Rail employee used the phone at the crossing.

Although they had no official key, they used some tools in their car to access it.

LazyDriver:
Reversing is one issue, but he must have jumped the lights too! That barrier wouldn’t have come down before the stop lights flashed.

I’m not sure about that - looking at the video it’s a long gap between when he starts reversing and when the gate comes down

Quote from twitter.

It has been suggested that the reversing manoeuvre was done under the supervision of a Network Rail employee. That he placed his car to the right of the crossing to hold oncoming traffic and enable the lorry to reverse safely. Any comments on that aspect?

I’ve been in similar situations with Tesco and Co-op. You have to deliver onto a busy main raid drive straight inbetween two houses then do a completely blind reverse out onto the main road. relying only on the store staff who are not really trained.
I included a picture of one but that one is not too bad. I remember there being a really bad one on either the A1 or A10 but can not remember its name. (You have to do a double blind reverse onto a very busy A road.

So if he was under the direction of a network rail employee. I think that does shift some of the blame.

coop.jpg

adam277:
Quote from twitter.

It has been suggested that the reversing manoeuvre was done under the supervision of a Network Rail employee. That he placed his car to the right of the crossing to hold oncoming traffic and enable the lorry to reverse safely. Any comments on that aspect?

I’ve been in similar situations with Tesco and Co-op. You have to deliver onto a busy main raid drive straight inbetween two houses then do a completely blind reverse out onto the main road. relying only on the store staff who are not really trained.

I included a picture of one but that one is not too bad. I remember there being a really bad one on either the A1 or A10 but can not remember its name. (You have to do a double blind reverse onto a very busy A road.

So if he was under the direction of a network rail employee. I think that does shift some of the blame.

Out of curiosity why not reverse in and drive out.
Usually a far safer option.

Also no driver is told what to do especially if its dangerous. The driver decides and nobody else.

Network Fail are the original,‘safety when it suits’!
Even delivering to access’ we used to have full paperwork,numbers, emergency contact,safe system of work pack should have signallers number,having said all that ,firm I used to work for were delivering to site at a crossing,hiab blocking gates on one side of track,old couple wanting to cross,pedestrians,one of our lot waved them over,just before train came n they had to hurriedly duck under barrier,think someone of this job was ’ job n knock’!

jakethesnake:

adam277:
Quote from twitter.

Because there is a side unloading bay that is raised by about 2 meters. So if you reverse in the ■■■ end of your truck will not be in the correct position or it will be protruding onto the main road, or the risk assessment says you have to I cant remember exactly. Yea, it’s been designed by an idiot. But 3 or 4 stores have bays like this. That I visited. The other one I visted it was possible to drive in then drive out the other way years ago but then it got blocked off, so probably too expensive to change.

adam277:

jakethesnake:

adam277:
Quote from twitter.

Because there is a side unloading bay that is raised by about 2 meters. So if you reverse in the ■■■ end of your truck will not be in the correct position or it will be protruding onto the main road, or the risk assessment says you have to I cant remember exactly. Yea, it’s been designed by an idiot. But 3 or 4 stores have bays like this. That I visited. The other one I visted it was possible to drive in then drive out the other way years ago but then it got blocked off, so probably too expensive to change.

Fair enough, sounds about right for today’s standards. Some people seem incapable of considering road safety.