Anyone drive bin lorries

Just accepted a job as a driver/loader on the bins. Anyone doing or done this who can give any pointers. Good job or…RUBBISH. [emoji1]

I wouldn’t take the job unless they remove the loader title from the job description.
Otherwise the job is actually bin labourer and driver as and when required.
You could be allocated a shift or more where you’re bin ‘loading’ crew not a driver.
Also obviously no redundancy cover for any reductions made in the driver role in future.You could be put on bin crew permanently no claim for redundancy.

Hi I drove them in Leeds, its a nice steady job but some tight streets to get in and be prepared to be abused by the public when you get in there way

Thanks Atlas

I did it once for a day on agency. Doing the collection was okay - yeah, some tricky reverses with that big overhang but the worst part was going to the tip. Dusty, smelly and some of the other drivers were lunatics. I said never again thanks.

I used to do it for several years: very monotonous, constant concentration going in and out of residential streets which is very tiring - but… no nights out, predictable workloads, very little grief from transport planners and if you’re working with decent lads it can be good crack

I’d highly recommend it for newbies, a steep learning curve but it gets your skills sharpened up double quick

I’ve been learning on the RCV (Refuse Collection Vehicle) / bin wagon this last few months. I love it! Lots of tight manoeuvres and reversing, but in our wagons you’ve always got an Operative with you to assist and be your banksman (I’ve been on commercial waste collections rather than household waste collections). You’ll be out in all weather’s but the hours should be regular, you’ll be home every night and if you’re with an Operative, you’ll build up a nice little team, it’s not for everyone, but as a new driver, our team giving me a chance to learn on our RCVs has been brilliant! If you’re on commercial waste, you may find your in and out of the wagon almost as much as the Operative, as both of you will need to move the large full bins.
Downside of the job is wasps :neutral_face: and not knowing where I can find a loo… :unamused: But maybe because I’m a woman that’s more of an issue than for a bloke… :laughing: Lol
Heather

Can be a good job if you get a good crew with you…
Yes you have to go to some stupid tight places but most trucks have camera’s and you can’t reverse without banksman anyway.

Takes a while to learn to cope with the general public, not just impatient drivers but also the curtain twitchers watching your every move & reporting the most petty stuff. Like you didn’t put their bin back in the exact position!

Carryfast:
I wouldn’t take the job unless they remove the loader title from the job description.
You could be allocated a shift or more where you’re bin ‘loading’ crew not a driver.
Also obviously no redundancy cover for any reductions made in the driver role in future.You could be put on bin crew permanently no claim for redundancy.

If they did away with the driver having to load they would probably solve their driver shortage overnight.
Would be almost like driving a bus but no annoying passengers to deal with.

I would actually consider doing it again if they was the case. It’s normally great hours, no weekends, no nights out. Boring as hell but easy life

silverman:
Just accepted a job as a driver/loader on the bins. Anyone doing or done this who can give any pointers. Good job or…RUBBISH. [emoji1]

The best advice i can give you is, if your driving a truck with reverse camera and you suspect there’s a curtain twitcher watching you, reverse at full speed (without moving your head to the side to look in mirrors) and stop 1cm from the car outside their house. Watch them come out from behind their curtains with a look of disbelief :grimacing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

I am a bin man and my job title is driver but it was explained at interview the job is not just driving as occasionally there are more drivers than rounds (due to the need for holidays and sickness cover) if there is a surplus of drivers and not enough loaders drivers will load which is good for new drivers as they learn the rounds, we still get drivers pay when doing this.

I would be very surprised if many employers these days employed drivers as drivers with no other duties.

atlas man:
Hi I drove them in Leeds, its a nice steady job but some tight streets to get in and be prepared to be abused by the public when you get in there way

Spot on, inconsiderate parking by car drivers is a nightmare and as you say the public who clapped us when we were doing the job 18 months ago now swear at us for making them late for work, you cannot win.

Santa:
I did it once for a day on agency. Doing the collection was okay - yeah, some tricky reverses with that big overhang but the worst part was going to the tip. Dusty, smelly and some of the other drivers were lunatics. I said never again thanks.

If you are lucky you will tip at a reprocessing plant or a transfer station which are clean if unlucky its landfill.

Bubbles81:
I’ve been learning on the RCV (Refuse Collection Vehicle) / bin wagon this last few months. I love it! Lots of tight manoeuvres and reversing, but in our wagons you’ve always got an Operative with you to assist and be your banksman (I’ve been on commercial waste collections rather than household waste collections). You’ll be out in all weather’s but the hours should be regular, you’ll be home every night and if you’re with an Operative, you’ll build up a nice little team, it’s not for everyone, but as a new driver, our team giving me a chance to learn on our RCVs has been brilliant! If you’re on commercial waste, you may find your in and out of the wagon almost as much as the Operative, as both of you will need to move the large full bins.
Downside of the job is wasps :neutral_face: and not knowing where I can find a loo… :unamused: But maybe because I’m a woman that’s more of an issue than for a bloke… :laughing: Lol
Heather

Brilliant post, i would add Christmas tips are a big bonus.

Thanks for the replies, especially carryfast, I missed your first post and seemed a bit rude that I thanked Atlas and not you as well.

I drove bin lorry’s amongst other waste vehicles for over ten years and I am looking at going back to that work, if you are on your own it’s hard work but rewarding and the bonus can match that with the right company. I kept me fit and I had a can do attitude but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, if you want to sit in the drivers seat and not move all day then it’s not for you.

D.Thompson:

Carryfast:

I am a bin man and my job title is driver but it was explained at interview the job is not just driving as occasionally there are more drivers than rounds (due to the need for holidays and sickness cover) if there is a surplus of drivers and not enough loaders drivers will load which is good for new drivers as they learn the rounds, we still get drivers pay when doing this.

I would be very surprised if many employers these days employed drivers as drivers with no other duties.

Same at our place, when I’m on a round often my Operative is one of the experienced drivers - he’s still getting driver rate of pay. To be honest I enjoy the being in and out of the wagon - gets the daily step count up and stops me getting a numb backside lol :laughing:

It can be good. Pay is often poor. But if you can get on refuse and its job and knock makes it worth while as you dont do many hours.
Job and knock is on its way out on the bins now though.

Bubbles81:

D.Thompson:

Carryfast:

Same at our place, when I’m on a round often my Operative is one of the experienced drivers - he’s still getting driver rate of pay. To be honest I enjoy the being in and out of the wagon - gets the daily step count up and stops me getting a numb backside lol :laughing:

I don’t mind loading it makes a change and you can have a good chin wag with the other loader while you work, sitting behind the wheel all day every day on the same round would drive me nuts.

Another plus is if there are two drivers you can take it in turns each day.

To be honest this rarely happens as we very rarely have 100% staff due to the aforementioned holidays and sick leave.

Thanks again for the replies. I’m not too bothered about the physical aspect, as I used to deliver gas cylinders from a tail lift. You can imagine, that as there was no gas supply to these houses, some of them were in very remote locations and was quite challenging to get the cylinders to their locations. At times thought sod this, then realised it was a pensioner and this was their only form of cooking and heating.