Anyone drive bin lorries

silverman:
Thanks again for the replies. I’m not too bothered about the physical aspect, as I used to deliver gas cylinders from a tail lift.

Wheelie bins took all the hard work of the job years ago if you are fairly fit you will be fine.

Due to start on the 20th. I’ll post how I get on for anyone who might be interested. It’s residential collections and I was told it will be me driving with two loaders, but will be expected to muck in when required. Interviewer said it will be in my own interest as it’s job and finish.

D.Thompson:
Wheelie bins took all the hard work of the job years ago if you are fairly fit you will be fine.

It’s the principle of effectively signing up to the job of ‘loader’/driver.
Bearing in mind that the job of ‘loader’ doesn’t stop at wheelie bin labourer.It often also means grounds maintenance, litter picking etc.So it’s possible to be given a barrow and litter picker or a fork and spade and wheelbarrow and told that’s your job for 6 months or even permanently suddenly we’ve got more than enough house refuse collection ‘drivers’.

If the ‘driver shortage’ is true much better to look for work on ro ro/bulkers which are generally hook loaders although cable type are not much more effort.In which the job of driver means driver.That will generally mean County Council and its contractors not Borough.
My guess is the ‘driver shortage’ will suddenly and conveniently then evaporate at the application stage.

silverman:
Due to start on the 20th. I’ll post how I get on for anyone who might be interested. It’s residential collections and I was told it will be me driving with two loaders, but will be expected to muck in when required. Interviewer said it will be in my own interest as it’s job and finish.

Glad you got sorted, job and finish is a big perk but don’t get finished too early or they’ll add more to the round, i am sure the loaders will see you right.

Carryfast:

D.Thompson:

Bearing in mind that the job of ‘loader’ doesn’t stop at wheelie bin labourer.It often also means grounds maintenance, litter picking etc.So it’s possible to be given a barrow and litter picker or a fork and spade and wheelbarrow and told that’s your job for 6 months or even permanently suddenly we’ve got more than enough house refuse collection ‘drivers’.

If the ‘driver shortage’ is true much better to look for work on ro ro/bulkers which are generally hook loaders although cable type are not much more effort.In which the job of driver means driver.That will generally mean County Council and its contractors not Borough.
My guess is the ‘driver shortage’ will suddenly and conveniently then evaporate at the application stage.

I doubt very much they will have enough drivers to worry too much about pushing a wheel barrow around… :laughing:

As for having to be a loader only on some days, in the 4 years i did it in 3 or 4 different areas it only happened a handful of times & i can tell you it was a real relief to not have to drive the wagon. as you get fit jumping in & out the wagon every 10metres, just loading was ■■■■ easy.

Carryfast:

D.Thompson:

Oh how I’ve missed your twisted narrative and completely blinkered and small minded view of the world that you’ve gleaned from reading stories about other peoples lives.

Welcome back :wink:

Done council domestic/green/recycling/trade for a good few years in a previous job.

A good crew is the key…they make your job easier by watching out for the loons on the roads AND footpaths as well as aiding with reversing etc.

The general public are an interesting cross section of council haters to little old ladies on the poverty line who always bring you a packet of biscuits out.

Here’s a familiar line you will hear time and again…it took a bit of nerve to perfect the usual response I defaulted to give:

Public: I pay my council tax and all I get is you lot to empty my bins…and you can’t do that right!

Me: Council tax…not sure to be honest… as we are council employees we don’t have to pay it?

As soon as the blue touch paper is lit, stand well back and await explosion!v :laughing:

Hello,
I used to drive a bin motor and loved it. Id occasionally help through bins in the back. I liked this as it helped keep you fit.

As been said watch the rear overhang when in tight spots as it can get you into bother if your not careful. A lot of the run will be reversing into areas as you cant normally get a turn around.

You would always get tips, gifts etc during the holidays.

Bad points is the smell of some bins are horrendous and the bin juice gets everywhere. The rats are huge and run at you. I always had my socks over the bottom of my trousers to stop them running up my trouser legs.

Not too worried about the driving aspect. Had a class one licence for 20 years and done lots of varied class one and two driving in the past

silverman:
Not too worried about the driving aspect. Had a class one licence for 20 years and done lots of varied class one and two driving in the past

Cant be that good a driver if after 20 years of being a trucking god your demoted to stinking bins and throwing rubbish in the back of trucks.

Didn’t say I was a good driver. Just pointing out I was looking for advice on a specific job, not for the fact I am new to driving, as there have been two posts now relating to the overhang. Thanks for your input though.

andy288*:
Done council domestic/green/recycling/trade for a good few years in a previous job.

A good crew is the key… = ✓✓✓ very true

Public: I pay my council tax and all I get is you lot to empty my bins…and you can’t do that right!

Me: Council tax…not sure to be honest… as we are council employees we don’t have to pay it?

As soon as the blue touch paper is lit, stand well back and await explosion!v :laughing:

This made me :laughing: i can just hear the conversations between Doris and neighbours for the next month :grimacing:

Nearly there again:
if after 20 years your demoted to stinking bins and throwing rubbish in the back of trucks.

To be fair with the ‘driver shortage’ you’d think that there would be a choice of numerous other better quality job options, in this case at least the choice to rotate on bulk refuse/recycling ro/ro type work at county level, and councils/contractors certainly wouldn’t want to put off potential applicants by degrading the job of ‘driver’ as you’ve correctly described and even worse with other types of labouring roles like grounds maintenance litter picking etc added.
Also don’t buy the idea that drivers hop in and out of the cab to help loaders during an actual round.
It’s all about being able to allocate driving staff to totally different roles to that of driving as and when required as described previously.Effectively the job is just that of council labourer who can drive as and when needed and that’s why they are short of applicants.
Union demarcation lines would have stopped it in better days.

Did a few shifts when on agency in London. Biffa I think. Easy job, just drive, the chap with me was responsible for loading. Was commercial waste

Carryfast:

D.Thompson:

You’re not dead then?

drover:

andy288*:

A good crew is the key… = ✓✓✓ very true

This made me :laughing: i can just hear the conversations between Doris and neighbours for the next month :grimacing:

Unfortunately, wouldn’t work down here as the job has been farmed out to private companies. In this case Suez. So also doubt I’ll be sent out with a barrow litterpicking.

I can only speak from my experience other places may be different.

While drivers may have to do other work its not something that happens often and never for weeks on end, most drivers have their own rounds and those that don’t are classed as spare these spare drivers cover drivers on holiday or off sick if after all driving positions are filled in the morning there are still spare drivers they will then cover loaders who are on holiday or off sick if we haven’t enough spare loaders to cover, what usually happens in these rare times when we are fully staffed is they will make a crew up out of the spare staff and they will take a spare wagon or wagons out and take a bit of pressure off the other rounds.

As i said this is a rarity so it wouldn’t put me off signing as a driver/loader.

I doubt very much they will have enough drivers to worry too much about pushing a wheel barrow around… :laughing:

As for having to be a loader only on some days, in the 4 years i did it in 3 or 4 different areas it only happened a handful of times & i can tell you it was a real relief to not have to drive the wagon. as you get fit jumping in & out the wagon every 10metres, just loading was ■■■■ easy.

Spot on we rarely have all drivers in at the same time holidays and sick leave takes care of that.

andy288*:

A good crew is the key…they make your job easier by watching out for the loons on the roads AND footpaths as well as aiding with reversing etc.

Spot on, if the wagon horn sounds when you are out of the cab you stop dead, some drivers are crazy,

A perfect example - youtube.com/watch?v=RsBvAiT1neg

The general public are an interesting cross section of council haters to little old ladies on the poverty line who always bring you a packet of biscuits out.
Here’s a familiar line you will hear time and again…it took a bit of nerve to perfect the usual response I defaulted to give:

When i get grief which is not often and usually by impatient drivers moaning because they cannot get past my new one is -

You stood on your doorstep clapping us 18 months ago! (we are not allowed to tell them to ■■■■ off)

I happened to be outside on bin day this week and watched how they organise it.

It was a three-man crew and the driver stayed in the cab. The other two took one side each, and the truck hardly came to a stop. It may be that it’s different in cul-de-sacs where there might be a lot of bins without moving the truck, ut we are a through road.