First go in a ridgid

Today was the first time i drove a rigid since my test. If anyone wants some fertaliser for the roses thier is plenty in my trousers lol. They gave me an easy run i think 6 drops around northampton and back… So majority of the driving was motorway.

couple of quick questions.
inoticed that when ever i was turning right at a roundabout my offside mirror compleatly obscured the oncoming traffic on the roundabout and to some extent the same when in the left lane for turning left or going straight on. I did try different road positions and moving the mirror but that just ment i struggled seeing up the side of the rigid.

secondly the acceleration seemed almost missing to the point it would take almost the whole slip road to get up to 40 mph if i tried to manualy override the gears and change down it would just change back up straight away

the rigid was an actros if that helps… i know many dont like them but given it was my first time driving a rigid in anger i susspect it was more to do with my incopentance .

Welcome to the real world of trucking. They’re not questions, just statements of fact - huge mirrors which block out your view - need to move your head! Acceleration (or lack of), try foot to the floor (saying that in case you’re still in ‘learning mode’ where you are meant to be gentle on the accelerator). Most autos are programmed to change up pretty quick so won’t do any damage.

I drive a manual so no idea about the gear shifting on an auto.
As sead above, you have to look around the mirrors.
Just take your time. If you ■■■■ the person behind you off for pulling out of junctions or on to roundabouts with caution, its probably better than ringing the boss to tell him youve just stacked his lorry.

You honestly didn’t notice any of this during your 4 (5?) days of training and test?

ETS:
You honestly didn’t notice any of this during your 4 (5?) days of training and test?

not to the same extent nor is it that bad driving a 7.5 tonne box truck

cooper1203:

ETS:

not to the same extent nor is it that bad driving a 7.5 tonne box truck

ok…did you try leaning forward a bit so you can see beyond the mirror…regarding acceleration trucks are very slow even on a very slight uphill gradient especially when loaded. Rigid Actros isn’t as bad as a tractor Actros in my experience in terms of comfort. If yo want to force it to switch to a lower gear and hold it you need to press the accelerator pedal down to the floor and beyond…until you feel a slight ‘‘click’’ underneath I think it’s called kickback, and keep holding it down. Like if you’ve already pressed it down to the floor then press a bit more and you will feel it, but make sure your firm doesn’t track/record harsh acceleration or you might get called to the office for it

coop…

It’s a rigid.

Until you get used to it, it’ll feel like everything is wrong.

Give it a few weeks and you’ll be whizzing round bends on two wheels.

Been driving a 18t Cf since last Monday and loving it
1BBF56CD-2180-479A-953A-851BB55C14A8.jpeg

Sent while from gods know where

Right tin hat on …[check]

If you drive a MAN , the door pillar on both sides is horrendous for vision.

The extra bunce that you earn driving a ridgid, more than compensates for the afore mentioned issues :sunglasses:

I’ve had some real good gut ache laughs watching others take the challenge to drive my foden with no steering lock and spread axle draw bar with long neck .

I drive a DAF LF 18t rigid and you need to move in the cab to look around the mirrors, had so many near misses with someone in the mirror blind spot, the euro 6 engines are awful the auto box makes it worse, if I need the power and speed I normally put into manual and foot to the floor.

I seem to remember Merc mirrors were bigger / bulkier than DAFs but they are all a right pain. Make sure your seat is in the right position to see out, but even the DAF CFs have worse mirror positioning than the artics. Also you learn to use the wide angle mirror more on roundabouts eventually.

Most rigids seem to be 6 speed autos which fly through the gears up to 40mph then thats it. Its extremely frustrating, but until they for them with proper boxes or manuals it won’t change. You’ll get used to that too. Remember on your test the truck is barely loaded vs real world.

Just take it easy - if you come back in one piece that’s a good day.

Punchy Dan:
I’ve had some real good gut ache laughs watching others take the challenge to drive my foden with no steering lock and spread axle draw bar with long neck .

Aye no what you mean , I’ve had to sit alongside more than a few I’m just here driving a six wheeler for a change from Saudi etc runs! The minute they are of three lanes they are buggered on older motors on c and uc roads . Had some good laughs but a lot of ffs thought I’m going to die moments.

Well in 2 hours in to a 6 hour drive, in the CF from Southampton to Newcastle upon Tyne. :open_mouth: All’s ok and she’s motoring well for a 10 year old 6 speed manual 220 hp