European Travel Information and Authorisation System

Otherwise known as ETIAS.Not sure if will apply to truck drivers but it will to Spanish home owners currently complaining about the 90/180 days residency rule in the Schengen area.
Application is done on line and you need a passport,debit/credit card, an email address and £7.
The “authorities” say you have to provide finger prints and a face scan.“They” say the purpose is to “improve safety and security.”
You will have a right of appeal if rejected.
The system is supposed to come into effect in nov.2023. Bit severe innit ?

It will apply to everyone coming into the EU from third world countries to ensure compliance with the 90/180 day rule, including truck drivers
Stupid Brexit

Gidders:
Bit severe innit ?

How “severe” should the controls be for foreigners coming into the UK?

Franglais:

Gidders:
Bit severe innit ?

You mean those floating across on dinghies,having thrown all IDs into the briny and claim to be who they want ?
Or to foreigners to the EU (like my good self) who currently manage to identify ourselves satisfactorily in several different ways ?

Gidders:

Franglais:

Gidders:
Bit severe innit ?

You mean those floating across on dinghies,having thrown all IDs into the briny and claim to be who they want ?
Or to foreigners to the EU (like my good self) who currently manage to identify ourselves satisfactorily in several different ways ?

How about those claiming to be one thing, but are really another?
Without even rudimentary, 7 quid checks, how do we even begin to know who is who?

A piece of paper, or a small booklet of papers stapled together, isn`t “satisfactory” in the opinion of certain countries. And it is their right to decide rule for entry to their country. Nit 3rd country nationals such as ourselves.
They have control of their borders.

To be clear, I find the extra checks, controls, and rules very frustrating, probably as much as anyone does.
Stupid Brexit !

Franglais,you have taken this thread off on a tangent.I think the first paragraph of my original post more than implies that i was referring to Britons entering the Schengen area whether as a tourist,temporary resident,or in the course of their work.

Gidders:
Franglais,you have taken this thread off on a tangent.I think the first paragraph of my original post more than implies that i was referring to Britons entering the Schengen area whether as a tourist,temporary resident,or in the course of their work.

Which Owen dealt with very well, when he said that the UK is being treated the same as other 3rd countries.

I am pointing out that all countries have the right to decide who enters, and on what terms.

Are the Schengen terms “severe” as you describe them? Are they more difficult than 3rd country passport holders entering the UK, or USA, or wherever else?

It seems to me that since some UK citizens (who may own property in the Schengen area as you have said) are more likely than others to want to break the rules about length of stay there, so it would be reasonable for, the Spanish as an example, to give extra checks to Britons entering Spain. Quite correct for them to target those more likely to enter a country illegally.
As it is they are not choosing to do that, just to treat UK passport holders the same as others.

The ending of Freedom of Movement is what was wanted and voted for in a non binding referendum. Nothing to do but ■■■■ it up.

ETIAS might only be a 7 euro cost, for three years, but that is the rule. The USA has the same ish system to verify visitors time in their country.
The 90 / 180 rule is going to create longer delays at entry points into the EU, whilst info is checked. Still, extra time to love the new dark blue passport. Next time you see Farage with his German passport in the EU visitors line you could make your feelings known to the ■■■■.
Stupid Brexit

For many people Brexit was about ending the free movement of people. Priti Patel was very proud about her part in that.

Well, it has at least partly succeeded.
It is certainly harder for UK citizens to move freely into and around the EU.