Your Retirement Age?

Don’t want to brag, but I hung up the truck keys in 2010 on a medical, and retirement from the present job is in 22 of my working days…23rd March is the big ■■■■ up ! I am near 56.
After that we are project managing building a house in the garden to sell whilst buggering off in the new motor home that arrives in June.
But in my heart if a doctor said I could drive my own new wagon again it would be a real itch that needed scratching!!!
We on here are all sodding crazy Are we not.

finished last august aged 67, done an extra two years, time was right to go I think.

52,semi retired,work bout 6 months do mostly week ends n mid weeks if job interests n pays £s,less if possible,no problem filling spare time,rest of year

Working g 4on -4off I’m effectively working part-time already. I have qualified for my full British pension (paid in 27 year) but as I’ve also paid into my Dutch pension before I moved here, I seem to have an entitlement there too. I’m looking into the nitty gritty atm, because if I can collect them both when the day comes, I’ll be off to work for a Dutch company next year, to increase my Dutch pension. . :sunglasses:

I started out from school with no qualifications and have worked hard, my idea was mortgage free by 45, the first wife kicked that into touch, then I planned for 55 which was done, but I had found a job I loved which took me to 61, when a touch of stubbornness over a small issue made me give my notice in there and then, i looked at the money side of things and if we were careful we could manage on a couple of little pensions, i did a couple of part time jobs which i thought would be good fun (part time as in a trip in a truck to some where interesting not a week in week out part time job) but now less and less, with no mortgage it has made life easier, but i realise not every one can manage it, and i am grateful for what i have, the plan is to work smarter not harder look at all the possibilities that come along not just the pounds and pence, some smaller pay packets have far bigger benefits,

hotel magnum:
I started out from school with no qualifications and have worked hard, my idea was mortgage free by 45, the first wife kicked that into touch, then I planned for 55 which was done, but I had found a job I loved which took me to 61, when a touch of stubbornness over a small issue made me give my notice in there and then, i looked at the money side of things and if we were careful we could manage on a couple of little pensions, i did a couple of part time jobs which i thought would be good fun (part time as in a trip in a truck to some where interesting not a week in week out part time job) but now less and less, with no mortgage it has made life easier, but i realise not every one can manage it, and i am grateful for what i have, the plan is to work smarter not harder look at all the possibilities that come along not just the pounds and pence, some smaller pay packets have far bigger benefits,

very true!

the nodding donkey:
Working g 4on -4off I’m effectively working part-time already. I have qualified for my full British pension (paid in 27 year) but as I’ve also paid into my Dutch pension before I moved here, I seem to have an entitlement there too. I’m looking into the nitty gritty atm, because if I can collect them both when the day comes, I’ll be off to work for a Dutch company next year, to increase my Dutch pension. . :sunglasses:

Do the employers go dutch with the pensions in Holland? :confused:

Winseer:
70 probably, as it won’t be allowed at 65, and I’d have just renewed with a medical my licence for another five years that same year.

Is it still “every year” once you reach 70 though?

Thought you were making a “fortune” on your investments!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I hope to retire@ 60yrs as have decent deferred public sector pension kicking in and will keep investing into my SIPP until then also.

SIPP is doing remarkably well and my state pension will kick in@ 67yrs too,
mate started getting his last month and £158wk not too bad.

Only thing that’ll make me work past 60 FT is if I’ve to help put our two boys through University.
If goes to plan prob still do odd “trip” here/there for holiday money/beer tokens!!![emoji847]

Want to defo head back to USA and do the harvest run again and do similar in OZ/NZ too,
some craic in those aul Peterbilt/Kenworth yochs!!![emoji41]

I retired at 38. …now I’m 44 and thinking about coming back to work.Those 4on 4 off shifts sound alright.

snapper711:
I retired at 38. …now I’m 44 and thinking about coming back to work.Those 4on 4 off shifts sound alright.

How you do that??
Military pension??

Finishing this October, 64 years old, retiring to Canada, Wife say’s I’ve done enough.

Dieseldog66:
Finishing this October, 64 years old, retiring to Canada, Wife say’s I’ve done enough.

Make sure it’s the “warm” part!!![emoji4]

It not snow there from Sept to May!!!

Retirement doesnt feature in my plans. I enjoy work way too much (and no, I don’t see that changing…)

switchlogic:
Retirement doesnt feature in my plans. I enjoy work way too much (and no, I don’t see that changing…)

Trust me it will when your 65 and clean fe---------cked!!![emoji2]

Big Truck:

switchlogic:

Nope, it won’t. Driving a truck is like semi retirement most days as it is :wink:

switchlogic:

Big Truck:

switchlogic:

Nope, it won’t. Driving a truck is like semi retirement most days as it is :wink:

Is that you putting your fishing rod out Luke?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Trying to build up my pension pot, expected age of retirement … 86 year old (internet search … lol)

raymundo:
Trying to build up my pension pot, expected age of retirement … 86 year old (internet search … lol)

Yep. The small print on
“This amount COULD buy you an income of X amount”
needs some reading.
Read what the projections are.
Read what they were from 20yrs ago.
Read how much you COULD get.
Then read how much funds you need for a decent income today.
Frightening.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I wont be around long enough to retire. I couldn’t handle all that free time anyway so I will work until the inevitable happens