At last retiring

Hi all happy easter,as you can guess at the age of 62 many miles many hours I’ve decided to retire, put some money aside to get me to my old age pension, having some time off and then do odd days when it suits me to keep my funds topped up. Cheers everyone☺

You have made a great decision. Hope you thoroughly enjoy your retirement just as I am. :smiley:

The thing I found very strange when retiring and still haven’t got used to It was someone giving me money each week without having to go to work for it ie: the government and your pension, I found that hard to get used to, as I like most people have always got of my arse and gone to work and earned my money, spent 50 years on the road and I do miss it, maybe I shouldn’t have retired, gave my lorry licence up a few years ago due to health reasons, but each to his own, good luck…

Enjoy every moment,you’ve earnt it. Just over 12 months for me, don’t miss it one bit, never want to get in a truck again. 48 years behind the wheel is long enough.
Good luck for the future.

Retired at 62? Tha’s just a lad.I retired on DCPC day and haven’t missed the job a bit.I get a perverse pleasure from watching traffic reports on teletext.

Thankyou for your best wishes lads, true I’m relatively young but had a cancer scare 18 months ago,made me reassess my life ,all well now and doing my sixth half marathon this year, also spending more time with my wonderful wife and my best mate my 5 year old grandson, all the best.

chrisv:
Thankyou for your best wishes lads, true I’m relatively young but had a cancer scare 18 months ago,made me reassess my life ,all well now and doing my sixth half marathon this year, also spending more time with my wonderful wife and my best mate my 5 year old grandson, all the best.

Best wishes Chris, I retired in 2012, after a few months I went back to work for a further year. I then gave up permanent work, although I still do odd days for a pal. When the dcpc runs out in September I won’t renew it. I have plenty to occupy me as I am a volunteer driver for a blind association, I’ve also been accepted as a driver/helper at the World Transplant Games this summer on Tyneside. I also run a cycle group for older people, although that’s on hold at the moment whilst I recover from spinal surgery. I don’t know how I found time to go to work!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Thanks Kev, wow you re a credit to the human race, volunteering to help others great job,i am going to look into voluntary work,good luck with your back hope you make a quick recovery,take care.

chrisv:
Thanks Kev, wow you re a credit to the human race, volunteering to help others great job,i am going to look into voluntary work,good luck with your back hope you make a quick recovery,take care.

I’m nowt special Chris, I get a great lift from my blind ladies, they are the happiest bunch of people around, and of course as they can’t see me I’ve got them convinced I’m an Adonis! :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Been retired nearly eight years this coming August,after 50 years on the road. Kept my licence until it ran out never bothered renewing,had not needed to do a few days here and there as I thought I might. Now I dont know how I found time to go to work :laughing: No silly oclocks, nothing to do with drivers hours,sleeping in a box, DCPC,Medicals.
Miss it DO I HELL not when I can do what I want when I want,thats with permission from Her indoors of cause :laughing: :laughing:
Enjoy your retirement