retirement.

For those of you at or near the age, is it as attractive looking now as it was 30 years ago ?

i know a fella beside me, at 70 he works around 12 hours a day, 5 days, about 10 saturday and does about 1 sunday in 4. And he doesnt or never did work in haulage.

I dont really know anyone who quit working at 65.

Is this the norm or do i live in a workaholic area ?

Turned 65 in January, but no intention of packing in until it gets a chore. Anyway, what will the person who has been away from home one way or another since 1959 find to do that is legal and doesn’t use up the pension too fast?

bigdennis:
Turned 65 in January, but no intention of packing in until it gets a chore. Anyway, what will the person who has been away from home one way or another since 1959 find to do that is legal and doesn’t use up the pension too fast?

There’s a niche market for that if you are still physically active !!

still got a good 45 yrs to go yet :open_mouth:

As one of the unfortunate people who had to retire in 1990 at 53 I still miss the job even now.After doing euro work for quite a few years I know the job has changed out of all recognition as I have a son, J R. doing the job now with Stobarfs.A lot of things have got better for example the trucks have no comparison to my 1st new truck, an ERF with 112 Gardner no sleeper but 4 or 5 nights out a week. But the boss didnt know where you were until you rang in so I can still remember having a couple of days off on the beach in Southern Italy. Couldnt do that now. Oh happy days! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it depends on whether you can afford it or not…i am 3 yrs away from 65, i have been off sick for 8 weeks, and i just got another 6 weeks cos i cant be arsed to get up in the morning, its a real struggle some days. In truth i cant wait to stop, but its only because i am selling this place in 3 years time, and i cant do it before, but i wi8ll pay off the mortgage, buy another place in kent, and spend most of my time in Bulgaria. I will have 1 home in the uk and another abroad, and wont owe a penny…so i guess its ok for me.
This country is getting worse, and i want to leave it, and this industry is the same…I believe that if people could afford to retire then they would, dont believe them when they say…i love work…or…i would drop down dead if i stopped work…its simply a case of having to…or are they the same people, who when winning the lottery, end up going back to work (as a cleaner) and getting up at 0500 because they were bored, and missed their friends…thats a load of baloney…you and i know that.
If this or any other government stoped giving our money away so freely, to help others, we would have enough in the kitty, to give pensioners a guaranteed final salary pension, and not force them to seek a better way of life abroad, because they cant afford it here. because thats whats happening.

well,ive 30 yrs to go,n i reckon by then the retirement age will be put to 75!so my theory to work is,do as little as you can get away with,take as much time off as you can,dont take anything to do with work into yr home life!.to the big companies yr as replaceable as an airline.work to live,not the other way round! :laughing:

I’ve always worked hard and worked long hours all my working life, now (a few years short of retirement age) I cant get a job, in fact been out of work for 6 weeks. As for working past the age of 65, FORGET IT! absolutely no [zb] way, whats the point :question: As much as I’ve enjoyed my time HGV driving (well I did until recently) why should I continue paying the government when they should be paying me a pension? I cannot understand why anyone would want to work beyond retirement age?

Tiger.

Truckyboy what gives you the narrow minded view that says everyone has to feel as you do about giving up work?
Surely in you many years you’ve learned that not everyone is the same in this world?

I could have retired 2 years ago but chose not to ( and yes, I could afford to if I wanted to). I love my job today just as much as when I started doing it almost 28 yrs ago. It’s a way of life to be a tramper and one I will find very hard to give up, I like my own space and company, I love the solitude and the freedom of choice and that’s something that I’ll never have onece I retire.
Sure it gets a bit harder every winter but when the time is right I will KNOW it’s right, but until then I will continue to enjoy myself and earn good money too.

Pat