Your first load after passing your class 1

Passed my test just after 10am on a Tuesday morning. Got back to the yard to be informed that a driver had called in sick. 2 drops in Central Paris !!!

Went to one of our customers and loaded a trailer for the next day full of cement board

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Wheelnut.

Jenny was around 18/20 ish, nice looking kid, think she just never liked working for a living, no idea where she lived, must have been in Carlisle somewhere.

Balloonie.

Only a couple years ago as I’m a relative newbie but first load was 26t of IBC’s to an awkward dairy.

That was a fun day [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, passed my class 1 at about 10 oclock in the morning back to the yard lunch time was given an L reg (1973) mandator first load a empty 20ft container on a 20ft twin axle trailer to load personal affects in a big house on A36 near Warminster drove up the drive about a mile was told to back out turn round then back it in,if i remember rightly it took a while cos these 20ft trailers come round a bit quick specially with no power steering. that was august 1975 never looked back after that still think i made the right choice being in haulage all these years made good freinds and learnt a lot and still learning today. :smiling_imp:

Ah the memories passed in 73 at Redruth in Cornwall at lunchtime, remember we all met in the morning in a transport café and I was physically sick with nerves and never ate ought. there were five of us taking the test that day for different grades and I was the last in a Leyland 26 ton artic with tandem axle single wheeled trailer, passed just before lunch then back to Helston Richard Benney’s yard, next morning GUY Big J REG VWN 475H 180 Gardner & 6 speed David Brown box, 20 ton of bagged skim milk powder to a store in Exmouth all hand ball, reload out of same store but had never sheeted a load before although I could tie dolly’s as I had done hay and straw on a TK, I did not even know you had to put the back sheet on first so the wind never blew it up in transit and it was ■■■■■■■ down and windy, the sheet blew on the ground twice and it was near 5pm and the staff were knocking off work but one saw I was struggling and gave me a hand, he was an ex driver and taught me more in half an hour than I can imagine, I gave him a fiver for his troubles a lot back then but we were both drowned and I don’t think I could have done it without his help. Carried on and roped it which took another hour as I was a newbie at the job. Funny that £5 was the best money I parted with during my career on the road and then along came the taught liners and to a degree the art of roping and sheeting was lost but I know I could do it right here right now as it never leaves you, Buzzer.