Your first day on class 1?

How did you feel on first day? , what where you doing ? Any tales to tell ? .

Got my first day tomorrow on containers so just trying lighten the mood as I’m bricking it lol .

Take it steady on the containers especially on ■■■■ bendyroads and roundabouts as sometimes you won’t know what’s in the container or if it’s even secured properly inside. It could be somthing top heavy or even a car and go around a roundabout a tad quick and you’ll be over quicker than you can say bolloxs :smiley:

Local container job up to Newcastle , managed to get there and back in 1 peice so i was sent off to Swansea on the afternoon with a 55ft trailer load of steel :open_mouth: 27yrs ago but i remember it like yesterday :smiley:

Mine was a big of extra cash on a Saturday for a local container contractor. I nearly got nicked at Wakefield Eurosport as the lad who was meant to unload me took the ■■■■ and kept me waiting nearly 4 hours whilst he unloaded a freight train. As I was on a percentage of what the truck earned, I earned ■■■■ all that day and didn’t do it again for them.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Take it steady on the containers especially on [zb] bendyroads and roundabouts as sometimes you won’t know what’s in the container or if it’s even secured properly inside. It could be somthing top heavy or even a car and go around a roundabout a tad quick and you’ll be over quicker than you can say bolloxs :smiley:

Cheers Steve speed + bendy roads I will be trying to avoid for tomorrow anyway , a to b in one piece will do just fine , and I don’t care how long it takes :slight_smile:

Couldn’t reverse for toffee, took my Dad with me to keep me right. 21 yrs old in a Magirus Deutz 310, with a tipper on back, had to reverse into a corner bay at Ebchester in the North East, made a complete Horlix of it , my Dad got it in first go :smiley:

I recon it was on a ford D ,2 speed axle …wae a knock out axle(jack it up and roll axle out) on a low loader hauling a blaw knox from Dumfries workshop to Stranaer workshop and a jcb back around 84 was spare man on the motor ,usually drove a rigid tipper. :blush:

Got my first day on class 1 tomorrow as well. EEK!

robroy:
Couldn’t reverse for toffee, took my Dad with me to keep me right. 21 yrs old in a Magirus Deutz 310, with a tipper on back, had to reverse into a corner bay at Ebchester in the North East, made a complete Horlix of it , my Dad got it in first go :smiley:

Lol yes I kind of expect that to come my way :slight_smile:

NewBlood:
Got my first day on class 1 tomorrow as well. EEK!

Good luck m8

Nought to worry about.
Steady as you go and bring you and the motor home in one piece…job done.

Gute farht

My first day in a artic was in a very old Scania 112 it was fun had I nice run up to North wales no real problems last drop was in Wrexham and I parked at the raven cafe that night.Funy the things you remember lol oh and that old scania had a rear window and a side window in the bunk and only had curtains for the front and sides :blush: i had a fun few weeks in that truck before I got moved up to a scania 143 :slight_smile:

The best advice I can give you is take your time don’t rush and if your somewhere tight or you can’t see enough stop and get out have a look it’s easier and less stressful then having to ring the boss :wink: I’ve done that enough times it’s not fun :blush:

And you Victa1. Feel free to keep tabs on my Facebook/Twitter to see how things are going this week (links in my signature)

Turn the clock back to September 1980 I had got a job with a company who sub contracted work from pilot freight forwarding in high Wycombe,they did antique furniture deliveries to Europe and I would deliver the back loads to anywhere in the uk with an old D series ford,the boss was a great bloke bill Collins,he offered to put me through my class 1 and said I might have to stand in for the euro guys if anything went wrong!!! I was 21 full of front and agreed never thinking it would happen,so he sends me to west herts training school at radlet and I have a weeks training and take my test on a Friday and passed first time I had to find a pay phone to leave a message at his house to tell him lol no mobiles back then,I had used his car to travel there from bicester so when I got back to his house his wife says can you wait bill wants a chat ime thinking he wants to say well done haha how wrong was I he says one of the euro drivers has jacked can you pop home and get your passport and night out gear your booked on the late zeebrugge boat loaded for Germany and Austria phone me nextweek for a reload!!! I pooped myself lol

one out the yard for ripon.reload ferrybridge for avonmouth(night out hopwood park).
tip and reload avonmouth for south london…and into kent.

New Job 1967, Monday and Tuesday on 8 leggers. Wednesday, first day on artic, either erf or Foden, then again it could have been an ergo Leyland. Left the yard with a double pallet load of new 1/2 pint beer bottles for Watneys in Edmonton. Trailer had been loaded and brought down overnight. on the bendy bit of Green Lanes over she went, not right over but n/s trailer wheels off the ground and ropes and sheets holding it up like a bloody great bag. Went in the Laundrette and phoned Danny Venables the TM. He sent out two more empty trailers. One of them was driven by Bill Brandon. We got it round the corner into Mildmay Grove North and bill got this dirty big knife out of a ■■■■■■ on his belt and went round the safe side and cut the ropes… what a ■■■■■■■ mess :open_mouth: They came out from the woodwork and under rocks thinking the bottles were full, what a disappointment. :laughing: We made two single loads out of it and went to Watneys where we got our free pint (bloody needed it too). I didn’t even get a bollocking, well not as much as I expected anyway. Turned out the plastic crates had been stacked on pallets straight up, no blocking or anything. Didn’t get the sack either.

Hope your first day’s better than mine.

Victa1:
How did you feel on first day? , what where you doing ? Any tales to tell ? .

Got my first day tomorrow on containers so just trying lighten the mood as I’m bricking it lol .

Worst bit will be getting your head around the procedures at the various ports/terminals/container yards. They can be daunting as it’s usually assumed you know where your going & what to do. Ask other drivers. Try not to do what I did at Seaforth Dock on my first visit and queue up for hours, finally get to the barrier and realise I should have booked in at the office :blush:

Woodpecker1:
Turn the clock back to September 1980 I had got a job with a company who sub contracted work from pilot freight forwarding in high Wycombe,they did antique furniture deliveries to Europe and I would deliver the back loads to anywhere in the uk with an old D series ford,the boss was a great bloke bill Collins,he offered to put me through my class 1 and said I might have to stand in for the euro guys if anything went wrong!!! I was 21 full of front and agreed never thinking it would happen,so he sends me to west herts training school at radlet and I have a weeks training and take my test on a Friday and passed first time I had to find a pay phone to leave a message at his house to tell him lol no mobiles back then,I had used his car to travel there from bicester so when I got back to his house his wife says can you wait bill wants a chat ime thinking he wants to say well done haha how wrong was I he says one of the euro drivers has jacked can you pop home and get your passport and night out gear your booked on the late zeebrugge boat loaded for Germany and Austria phone me nextweek for a reload!!! I pooped myself lol

Talk about being thrown in at the deep end!

First day on an artic after passing my test was 3 drops in and around Edinburgh city centre in an ERF EC11. I had done all the drops before in my 18t so I had the advantage of knowing where I was going. Meadowbank Retail Park was a doddle, Cameron Toll shopping centre was also easy but the St James’s Shopping centre is underground and dark. Quite tight in an artic but I managed it without any problems.

First job on class one took me from Buntingford to Norwich to figure out how to work an Eaton twin splitter,had to pull over and phone my instructor as I had never seen one before,a queue of about 40 motors behind me on the A120 before getting onto the M11 as I could not get the motor above 25mph until the phone call. Followed that with taking 45 minutes to get on a back door which after the first time took me 2 minutes to get onto, stuck with it though and can now look back and laugh though it was not funny at the time.