Your first truck.

You can choose whatever you want class 1 or class 2 if you think it counts.

My first truck I drove was a 7.5t lorry for nightfreight (just turned into DX freight which they are known by now.)

First class 1 was with Tuffnells on the wag and drag a-frames.

Both are terrible companies and ■■■■ to work for but… got my experience and enjoyed the work.

Not got a picture but remember the reg T300 PSL. Mercedes actros with minion tape holding the leather onto the steering wheel. Doing a night shift shunting trailers around at coca cola then a delivery to tesco afterwards. Looking back on it now it was good for a first shift as i did a fair bit of reversing and there wasn’t too many thing to hit as it was night.

First truck was a 7.5t Bedford tk . Followed quickly by a Leyland Roadrunner.
First artic was a Volvo F7.
All with the same company Carryfast .

Wish I had a picture of my first ride which was while I only had a car licence, a 3 car merc 814 car transporter back in 1993 which I brought smashed cars back from France.
The first truck I got full time after passing my class 1 in 1995 was this awful thing [emoji37]

D series ford 7.5 ton.
31 years ago.

@ 17 after vans First lorry as such Ford D300 7.5 tonner…sat on Michelins you learned quickly how little grip there really is on a wet road.

@ 21 First HGV artic Foden S39…no power steering (no power anything come to that) meant you soon learned to maneuver fairly well cos turning the wheel was like hauling a bloody anchor in :cry: .

See, every cloud has a silver lining :wink:

Started at 20 doing long distance,.and actually tramping on a Ford Transit pick up, which was replaced with a Fiat Daily pick up.
Then progressed (not sure if that word applies :smiley: ) on same firm to a Bedford TK.

First artic was a brand new Magirus Deutz owned by a mate who I did casual and a bit of holiday relief for, then on first full time artic job I came crashing down to earth and harsh reality on an ERF B Series day cab pulling flat trailers.

First truck I bought was an Atkinson Bordrer with a home made sleeper stuck on back, and like Juddian, no power steering.
I left a job to go on my own which was driving a Volvo F10,.the comparison to the Atki was indescribable…and not in a good way. :laughing:

i drove the TK at the weekends when i was 18 on a restricted class 3 , and the atkinson was my first lorry as in those days it was straight from car to class1 at 21.

tony

Mostly this one. When I started there back in 96 she had been semi scrapped with the tyres, gearbox and loads of other bits robbed off it. Put it all back together with parts off another dead one in the yard. We ran it for years until it was replaced with an EC11.

tonyj105:
i drove the TK at the weekends when i was 18 on a restricted class 3 , and the atkinson was my first lorry as in those days it was straight from car to class1 at 21.

tony

I think the styling of that truck is awesome.

First truck ? Was a 3.5t corner karrier tipper for ARC quarry shop at judkins nuneaton c1978 , then on to a 7.5t Ford D fridge 1980 , then progressed to a AEC mercury fridge for City Meat Wholesalers 1981, before first class one run in a Volvo F10 about 82ish .

Did things the arse about face way , drivers mate , class 3 , class 2 both paid by company , then paid for own class 1 , £500 at that time

Mine was a Gardner 240 powered W reg “B” series ERF with a 9spd Fuller gearbox and a Jennings sleeper cab
Unfortunately I’ve no photos the ex has all my older stuff

This was my last lorry at Stirlands L102 MRC fitted with a PerkinsTX 375 and a Eaton Twin Spitter a cracking lorry

Me in my first .

My drivers first lorry ,he’s gone straight from my sprinter to the artic last month .
First load with a 45ft was to London 2 drops .

Edit ,car sat nav ,Morrison’s map ,a brain ,and a manual box :laughing:

18 years old and drunk most of the time. On the plus side I did have a big gun also. What could possibly go wrong?

the maoster:
18 years old and drunk most of the time. On the plus side I did have a big gun also. What could possibly go wrong?

Stealing jobs off the Mojo’s Moaster?

short walk:

the maoster:

Stealing jobs off the Mojo’s Moaster?

I actually worked with them guys at Fally, absolute cracking guys. Totally mad of course. That pic was Sennelager where unfortunately we didn’t have the pleasure of any of them legends there.

First truck - D series D0607 box van

I drove plenty during my years as a fitter but the first truck that I actually drove for two years as a full time driver, aged 33, was GWJ 823V which was the sister one to this. A Bill Clowes pic.

Pete.

No photos of it , but it was a Bedford TK with eight stud wheels carrying Hay for a Fodder Merchant called FG Smith of St Margarets. With a hay rack over the cab, greedy board over the back and 10 tons gross on a car licence in 1975.
As long as it weighed under 2 tons 19 Hundredweight for its MOT…that when everything came off it including the passenger seat to get it under the limit.

Passed my class one in 1976, and first artic was an Atkinson Borderer for three weeks, next was an A series ERF with a straight eight 240 Gardner. I retire in just over 6 weeks with 45 years under my belt.