Your First HGV Job

the maoster:
Forces. Passed bike test on a Friday, car test and class 3 the next week, class 1 the week after one morning and in the afternoon I was sent out in an Antar with a Chieftain on the back. I was 17 years old, steep learning curve. :smiley:

9 Squadron 10 Regiment maoster?

16sqn Fallinbostel and then down to 3sqn 7regt sunny Sennelager buddy.

the maoster:

Aah ok, I was 10 reg Bielfeld. Great days maoster. Were you around the A15 today by any chance?

Twoninety88:

AndrewG:

Twoninety88:
Atkinson Borderer day cab with a 38 foot flat trailer all handball loading, unloading and roping and sheeting.

Truck aside, can you imagine the takers if that was offered today? Handballing is where its at though, i must be a masochist, i like it, keeps you fit and strong… :smiley:

I dont mind doing it now and again. I was given a job out of central london last year, Lincolns Inn fields to be precise, twice a week for fifteen weeks handballing office furniture into a 45 foot Box trailer. A short drive to Stratford east london and empty the ■■■■ thing. Strange how the other two drivers, (both younger than me) managed to avoid it like the plague!

With us its always 20-25kg bags of aggregate (polished stones) mainly for garden centres/builders merchants ect. On a warm day its shorts/trainers and a pair of gloves and get stuck in! A few months back the first one off was 12tonne at a garden centre, that was a workout and a half, the staff all helped though even the senoritas :smiley:

UKtramp:

the maoster:

Aah ok, I was 10 reg Bielfeld. Great days maoster. Were you around the A15 today by any chance?

Yes mate, twice. North firstly en route to Grimsby and then South en route back to Grantham via Caenby corner cafe.

the maoster:

UKtramp:

the maoster:

Yes mate, twice. North firstly en route to Grimsby and then South en route back to Grantham via Caenby corner cafe.

Man regales us about piloting 100 tonnes of military hardware on his first go, and then claims to just call at cafe’s willy nilly…

Chateauneuf Du Pape!.png

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Before I even got my license back from Swansea I was driving fish wagons over the water an frozen chips back for a one man band from near Buckie …

All you bloody youngsters don’t know what it was like in the old days. :wink: I’m so old I never took a test… granddad rights. It was a ■■■■ take though when I came to Oz cos I had to take one out here. :unamused:

Passed class 2 on a Thursday in feb, was driving a ridgid on the Monday for an agency. Been solid on agency since, doing all sorts for every type of firm. Passed class 1 6 weeks ago, had solid work on clas 1 until this week when agency are struggling to find me class 1 sodone some ridgid stuff

I was a shunter at Swifts before they put me through my HGV 1

raymundo:
Before I even got my license back from Swansea I was driving fish wagons over the water an frozen chips back for a one man band from near Buckie …

you will be well aquainted with hector brocklebank from hb fash then? :confused:

I was working in warehouse for ten years, & it was a complete closure of the business.

Everyone was being made redundant, & as soon as we were notified of our fate, I pursued the path of getting all my cards in order, & using my savings from many hours of hours working overtime , a took my class 2 & class 1 only a few months later.
I started running containers from the warehouse where I was working to Southampton docks, & progressed from there into other types of haulage work.

I got my license through the companies training school as a fitter, two weeks in Pickering Feb 1976, but it was another seven years before I drove full time for them. I do remember a week after passing my test taking a loaded Foden S39 tanker to Derby for its annual MOT and suddenly discovering (a) how differently a laden truck performed compared to an empty one and (b) finding out just how many neutrals the Foden 12 speed gearbox had! :open_mouth: :blush:

Pete.

windrush:
I got my license through the companies training school as a fitter, two weeks in Pickering Feb 1976, but it was another seven years before I drove full time for them. I do remember a week after passing my test taking a loaded Foden S39 tanker to Derby for its annual MOT and suddenly discovering (a) how differently a laden truck performed compared to an empty one and (b) finding out just how many neutrals the Foden 12 speed gearbox had! :open_mouth: :blush:

Pete.

:laughing:

Straight away. Turned it down. It.Was.■■■■■■

I went straight into delivering powered access on a 32 ton beavertail and if you can do that you can do anything… the swing out on that truck was ridiculous as a transit van found out on a mini roundabout when he got too close

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

raymundo:

you will be well aquainted with hector brocklebank from hb fash then? :confused:

So long ago I cant remember even who it were for but I know I wasn’t there long before I got offered a much better paying job back at sea so orft I jolly well went … :slight_smile:

Passed my class 1 in 89 while working for fedex in croydon,4 weeks later was driving a seddon atki strato with eaton splitter,quite a learning curve that with the box,then went on to night trunking driving an austrian steyer,that was a brilliant wagon,some might not think so but i loved it,great sound system,no speed limiter (although i did keep it at 60 mph of course)the rest is history

4 Months, passed in May and started here in September, I was doing bits of agency work in the period in between