Did you get work as soon as you passed your HGV test?

Did you get appropriate work as soon as you passed your HGV Test :question:

This Catch-22 situation seems to be getting worse:

No Experience = No Job.

Personally I had no problem. When I passed HGV Class 2, I got Class 2 work
the same afternoon and when I passed HGV Class 1, I got Class 1 work that
same evening - Both with an Agency.

Nowadays there seems to be more of the
“Must have two years experience for insurance purposes.”

How widespread is this dilemma for new drivers :question:

when pass to class to aplly for …agency.answer was one -you don t have expirience or you hold licence less for 2 years.after pass for class 1 and trying and after one agency said Ok can you start Monday for class 1 at some company.i was unexpirienced,found this company -yard was very small,i was not sure,call to agency -oh sorry cant start Monday because,because…and i thing who this agency don t call me any more.but after one week agency call me and ask can i start for short notice for class 2,after 7.5 tonne.and step by step i taked expirience.after another agency.but after was registered another agency for class 2.come to work -i was sure who first day will be class 2 job.but planners give introduction and said you fleet number this,trailers numbers this.it was my first driving day with Arctic lorry.first one hours was very hot.but after not bad.just reversing to supermaket taked more time for normaly drivers

I started my first driving job in 1990 and the question was raised. I lied or at least I excagerated my limited experience.
Then I went to an agency for an interview and was filling in the forms and frankly struggling with the intricacies of tacho law when this guys phone rang. He asked if I could do a job now. Funnily the question of 2 years seemed to be not quite as relevant when they needed a driver and now.
My point? It’s only 2 years when it suits.

Passed on a Thursday afternoon, reversing onto the Norsun in Hull Saturday night for a trip to Rome. A right baptism of fire!

Passed my class 2 and got the first job I applied for. Wasn’t the greatest of jobs but it was a start none the less.

Was working for Lynx Exress on an 18t when I decided to put myself through my class 1, as they kept promising to put me through it but never did. Passed my test on a Thursday, boss phoned on the Friday to see if I fancied going out on an artic on Monday morning doing an Edinburgh run. Haven’t looked back since.

Was fortunate that both companies I worked from were not really that bothered about lack of experience. Different story these days though I reckon.

Passed my class 2, was already on an agency doing van work for DHL, so had my Level 4 (as it was at the time), so when a class 2 driver was off, I was in his seat.

I did a few class 2 jobs but decided I wanted my Class 1 (class 2, class 1? is it still the 80’s?? lol) so went and sat that, the very next day I was driving a night trunk from Brakes Rochdale to Bellshill, a few days later and I got offered a full time start at Ware Transport. Never really struggled until this last year, now it seems difficult to get a half decent full time job.

I’m currently in full time employment - read into that what you want - but I was on agency for a good few months.

Took my test with Peter Lane transport and started work the following day on their own agency but that was 25 yrs ago but they promised me work straight away after and they kept to their word.

I was already working for a transport company driving 7.5 tonners when I passed my ‘Class 1’ (First time :smiley: ). Passed test at Featherstone ( Wolverhampton) In the morning & took my first Artic out that afternoon… :smiley:

Done class 2 and 1 back to back within the space of about 3 weeks or something. 21 no experience, u just went around every where and got a start on a rigid. Having your class 1 helps I think as well as most companies run both trucks.
Also I think people that want a job get a job and it really is that simple.
Too many people quit to easily after getting a few knock backs.

I meant, “I went around everywhere”

I passed my hgv in 1970 when they first came out.I was lucky the firm i was working for at the time[w nuttalls m/c]wanted me to upgrade from a 16ton rigid to artics so i got 2wks in driving school+test paid by com[with conditions].When i got back to yard,said i passed changed motors from leyland comet to a 2 peddle beaver and 33ft trl 5 drops london area.
regards dave.

I took redundancy from a firm and took my class 2 but was having some time out of work so I didn’t look right away, then a friend informed me that the company he worked for gave new drivers a chance so I went to see his gaffer on the Sat afternoon and started the following Monday ( that was the end of my break from work :frowning: ) , a month later I passed my class1 and after a few weeks I was sent out with an artic and only driven class 2 twice since, and I’m just coming up to my two years :grimacing:

1977 took class one at ■■■■■■■ Transport Training up on Kingstown Ind Estate… passed first time on the Friday morning… the manager said "go and see this man, he is one of the governors of the training school " , gave me a piece of paper with a name and address on it. I went to see Mr Jack Watt on London Road in the afternoon and started work for J & W Watt on the monday morning. First truck was an A series ERF day cab,180 Gardner, Fuller gearbox…RHH 207H… Stayed with them for 7 yrs til they finished doing transport but continued with warehousing… 35 yrs later and I am still learning…

Passed my class 2, was already on an agency doing van work for DHL, so had my Level 4 (as it was at the time), so when a class 2 driver was off, I was in his seat.

what is level 4 ?

At the time that i passed both C and C & E tests i was in work as a driver,so exp didn’t really matter, when i worked for agencies they didn’t seem that bothered, but back then there was plenty of work out there,But quite a few companies wanted 2 yrs back then too ,
In todays economic climate, they will use any excuse it would seem ,

del949:

what is level 4 ?

it’s a short little training session you have to do when your delivering and collecting airfreight.

OK, thanks :slight_smile:

the company i already worked for put me through my class 1, as soon as i passed i was out :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I was 26 and working in restuarents,when a pal told me about a company his company did some work with,who were looking for a driver for their recovery business. I gave the boss a phone,went to see him and he offered me a job-as long as i got a class 1 within a month.
I handed in my notice,started with him and got my class 1 3 weeks later. So yes i did start straight away.

In 2006 there was not a slightest problem to find a job for a fresh class 2 driver, despite poor English. It took me less than 2 weeks from arrival to get a full time agency job.