Did you get work as soon as you passed your HGV test?

I was working as a 7.5t driver when I passed my class2, took class1 straight away and passed 2nd time. Monday after I passed I saw a shiny new DAF XF unit sitting in the yard and the boss threw the keys at me. All he said was ‘look after it’ :slight_smile:

I know I was lucky tho’ as lots of people wait ages for a chance. I’ve just signed back on with the agency so I’m hoping I’m still in luck.

Got my class two in the army- came out and got a job at the bottom - 7.5 tonne and rope and sheet -a good family owned firm- old school- not the best payers in the world and things like radios and night heaters were luxuries that Old man Phil didnt think it was his responsibility to pay for, - and worked my way up - best training the industry has to offer,

must done alright as when the TM changed jobs he took me with him… along with a substantial payrise and paid for my class 1, 30 years later he is a high up in a logistics company and we still chat every now and then about those TK’s/KM’s and sleeping across the back shelf :slight_smile:

Yep, just last year

Ive been very lucky really i started of as a porter on a family run removal company as the work load and house sizes increased so did the requirement for a bigger truck.So as i worked my way up the company from vans to 7.5tonners i was then dispatched off to get my class 2 which i did and stayed on for a few years then i left and went on general haulage for a well known Worcester based company.
I was very happy in my little 26tonner until the boss asked me if i wanted my class1 as i was one of only 2 drivers that didnt have a class 1 so again was sent to get my licence and havent looked back :smiley:

I already had another full-time job (not as a driver) when I passed my Class 2 in 2004, but I was able to start straight away with an agency working the odd shift on my days off. Two years later, I left the old job and went full time on the agency. Within a couple of weeks I was driving five days a week for the same client (a large logistics company), and a couple of months later the client took me on permanently. After a couple of moves to other contracts with the same employer, I was TUPE’d across to a new employer (DHL) who offered me the opportunity to do my Class 1. Naturally I jumped at the offer and started on the artics the day after I passed my test. I now drive artics and rigids as required.

Already had a job lined up before i took my class 2, then when i passed my class 1 i begged them to let me drive their artic, then after i moved on from that job i was just abit loose with the truth when it came to what experience and how much driving i’d done.

I was already driving the little vans (up to 7.5t) for Royal Mail (having progressed from a pushbike :smiley: ) when I took my HGV at 21 in 1983.

All paid for by RM just had to stay there for at least 3 years.

Passed test on Thursday in a Ford Cargo (instructor told me I didnt need the splitter cause its not loaded :unamused: ) following morning i was on my way from Crewe to Holyhead in a Leyland Cheiftain with a 6 speed crash box coupled to a 20’ single axle skelly trailer with a container on.
That was a hell of a steep learning curve and you could hear the tune I was playing on the gearbox for miles :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

selby newcomer:

del949:

Passed my class 2, was already on an agency doing van work for DHL, so had my Level 4 (as it was at the time), so when a class 2 driver was off, I was in his seat.

what is level 4 ?

it’s a short little training session you have to do when your delivering and collecting airfreight.

Sorry, just got in, yeah, as selby said, it’s another money making scheme, you sit in a classroom, watch a few videos, get a certificate, 2yrs later you do it again and they’re the same videos.
I no longer have my Level D as it expired in Feb and I refuse to pay for it again, I’ve had Level 4 once and then Level D (it’s replacement) twice, and I used to drive airside too (coaches not HGV’s), so just got fed up of feeding the money monster

Yes.

Rikki-UK:
Got my class two in the army - came out and got a job at the bottom . . .

It was a couple of ex-army bods who got me a job straight away, they owned a driver agency.

Their attitude was “if you’re good enough to pass the test you’re good enough to drive for a living.”

Later they sold out to one of the nationwide driver agencies and retired.

toowise:
I was already driving… for Royal Mail when I took my HGV at 21 in 1983.

All paid for by RM just had to stay there for at least 3 years.

My mate did the same - but when he passed his test he NEVER went back to Royal Mail.

I’m sure he never got penalised by RM.

I was lucky enough to get put through my Class 2 in my old job after driving vans for them for 3 years.

I paid for my Class 1 myself in January and had all but gave up of searching for a job on the big uns

Got a phone call a month ago saying a place came up local and I went door banging straight away, got lucky and haven’t stopped smiling yet :slight_smile:

I passed Cat C nearly 2 years ago. Went to see my local Driver Hire (great guy) who put me on a 7.5t run for my first ‘bigger than transit’ experience. Then the following day I was on a 26t fridge lorry.

Had about a year of Cat C work starting with 2-3 days a week and by the time a year was up I was doing 60h+ tramping for an own account furniture place.

Took my Class 1 a year ago and nothing. So took a break and went on the buses. Then I got the opportunity to drive a multitude of C and CE outfits on recycling work before landing this work I am on now (shhhh they might be listening :slight_smile: )

PS all paid for out of my pocket

Passed my class 2 got a job next day proper cowboy outfit all the drivers were newbies or signing on or couldn’t get a job elsewhere due to going missing for a few days here and there.
Stayed about 6 months and was offered a job by a firm we subbed work for and they put me through class1 a bit later.
Got a great grounding in the job working there and have had half decent jobs since.
Realy don’t want to sound like some old codger here but when I read some of the posts from new drivers here I think what planet are you on seems lots want a top of the range truck with a cream job the day they walk out of the test centre with the pass certificate.

I used to help my father in law at weekends service the trucks and trailers for the company he drove for in the week, it was a small 4 truck company based in Bedworth who did a lot of work out of Massey ferguson in Coventry. I was driving transits in the week for a courier company mainly airfreight from BHX. The owner asked me why I hadn’t took my hgv test, I told him I couldn’t afford to do it and not get any work to pay back the loan I would need to do it. He laughed and said he would let me do his run as he had been told by the doctor to take it easy. I still had to pay myself tho as he was a bit on the tight side. About 4 weeks later I had passed my test on the Monday morning. Tuesday morning saw me behind the wheel of an ERF and 40 foot flat with 3 tractors sat on it and my father in law riding shotgun, the truck had a crash box which saw me coming to a standstill alongside a full bus shelter when i couldn’t find the next gear with my farther in law shouting get out let a proper driver show you how it’s done. After a couple of miles down the A45 I had another go and soon got the hang of it until passing the Peugeot plant I caught up to a slow truck to be told put your foot down and overtake it, well as I got alongside it seemed to move over towards me which made me panic a bit but I made it past and pulled back in ok. I only had to go to DK packing at church lawford so was soon tipped and back in Coventry to find the owner waiting to find out how I got on, after a lot of ■■■■ taking from the father in law who was refusing to go on the 2nd run with me as I had scared him I was loaded and pulling out the gates on my own.

kr79:
Passed my class 2 got a job next day proper cowboy outfit all the drivers were newbies or signing on or couldn’t get a job elsewhere due to going missing for a few days here and there.
Stayed about 6 months and was offered a job by a firm we subbed work for and they put me through class1 a bit later.
Got a great grounding in the job working there and have had half decent jobs since.
Realy don’t want to sound like some old codger here but when I read some of the posts from new drivers here I think what planet are you on seems lots want a top of the range truck with a cream job the day they walk out of the test centre with the pass certificate.

No i dont agree with you there.

I passed my test in March, and to start with, I had no intention of driving - I’d done it as an ambition, and just wanted to pass so I could say I’d done it. The trouble is, I started thinking ‘maybe the odd day would be good…’ I already have a full-time job, so thought the odd day would work well for me.

I contacted several of the local companies, and heard back from the one closest to me, asking if I was interested in full-time, or just part-time. I explained it was part-time, and what I was up to, and within 3 weeks I was doing odd days for them. This has grown, and I now do Thursday & Friday for them, and if things carry on as expected, will be full-time for them in November.

Several of the other companies I contacted used the 2 year bit, but the one I’m with took the attitude that everybody has to learn, the DSA have said that I can drive well enough to go on the road, and he’s happy with my attitude. The second day I was there, I was up the road in a MAN artic, with a curtainsider loaded to the gills with currants, off to Lancashire for two days. I was a gibbering wreck to start with, but settlled down in the end.

The company I drive for don’t have the newest lorries, they’re not top of the range Scanias, the money isn’t the greatest (although it’s not the worst either), but the atmosphere is great - a proper old-school attitude, and everybody gets on with each other and the job gets done. Some things you can’t put a price on…

Gary

when p.lowery and sons civil engineers put me through the test(would have done it myself anyway)they had me out the day after i passed,driving a grab lorry all over london.i could already use the crane,and have never looked back.best job and one of the best bosses i have ever had lol.very happy days

Passed class ‘C’ and got nowt so took C+E…passed on 5th July, licence sent off by examiner, got licence back 0930 23rd july and was in artic running pallets to Stafford at 1900 the same evening! :smiley:

Tazbug

Passed my class 1 in november 1991 at 21 drove 7 1\2 ton untill january 92 took my dad to work and they had a couple of drivers off sick went home got my n/o gear and went to milan first time i drove class 1 after passing my test straight in the deep end :smiley: