Getting your first HGV job

Ok, I’ve read so many times on here that is so hard to get a driving job when you have only just passed your driving test. I agree, there are plenty of companies that will turn you down and sometimes its a case of right place, right time.

This is how it all happened for me. I hope it might help someone get a job.

I passed my cat C about 4 years ago and went to an agency where I got a temp to perm which I did for a year before being laid off. I fell into a none driving job and did that until Sept 2010 when I took redundancy. I’d already lined up my C+E for mid Oct and I passed that first time. In the meantime I’d gone to Manpower in Dewsbury and I was out running for building merchants for them.

I got a call from a buddy who is a C+E driver. Another driver had just gone in and thrown his keys at the gaffer and walked out. A quick call from me and I got an interview that afternoon, I started for them on the next Monday.

After 6 weeks I could see why the driver had quit and I was starting to think the same but I have a family so stuck it out.

After a perticulally bad/frustrating week, I sat at the computer on the Saturday and re-wrote my CV. The wife proof read it and pulled it to bits for spelling and grammer mistakes. All these were sorted and then I got on Yell.com and looked for haulage companies in my area. After about 2 hours of searching I had a list of 35 companies and addresses.

An envelope in the printer and an address printed off. 34 more to go. A speculitive/begging letter written and checked by the wife. After about another hour or so I then had a pile of envelopes all printed and stuffed with a copy of my CV and the letter. Sunday afternoon its a walk down to the postbox and then home to sit down and pray.

Tuesday afternoon I’m waiting to load and my phone goes. Its one of the companies I’ve just mailed. ‘When can you get in for interview?’ I’m asked. As they were only around the corner from our yard, I popped in later in the week and tried my best to sell myself. I was offered the job there and then and started just over a week later.

Now let me say this. I’m nothing special. I’d only had my C+E license for about 5mths at that point and I’m no charmer. Again, I think, right place, right time. My CV turned up when they needed someone.I started with Truswell in Feb this year and they have been great to work for so far.

Out of the 35 letters/CV’s I sent out on that Sunday, I’ve had 5 job offers and a further 8 asking if I can attend an interview. Most of these came after a couple of months.

I guess the biggest tip I can give anyone sending out a CV is to print it out on cream paper and the cover letter on plain white. The contrast of colors makes YOURS stand out in the pile of many other CV’s on any potential employers desk. That and making sure your spelling/grammer is perfect. As you may have noticed from this, mine ain’t that good. Thank you wife. :laughing:

I might have gone on a bit but I hope someone gets something from this and gets makes use of their new license.

Gloria.

What an exellent and welcome post. Very reassuring for those of us who are new to all this.

Thank you, Alan.

Well said …

Hope someone can take heart from this … :wink:

Yes great advice …
I alway rely on the wife to proof read before i send anything off ( even though she does take the p*** ) half the time . lol I hope you bought her a box of chocks out of your first wage lol :wink:

Thanks very much for this post! :smiley:
It does seem obvious, but at the end of the day these positive stories can really help (if they get told!)
I wish you all the very best with your new position there my friend.
Thanks again.

Yet another happy tale - it’s turning into a pretty good day! Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think am goinh to have to try that thanks for the tip :smiley: am 24 and finding it hard n sent C.V’s out evrywhere lol

The strange thing is that if I decide to expand my fleet after I put my first truck on the road, I would prefer to take on a newly qualified driver than somebody who has been doing it for years.

There might be additional insurance costs, and it might take them a few months to get up to speed, but I would still consider those worth standing in order to take on someone who was enthusiastic and willing to learn to do the job the way I wanted it doing, rather than bringing along a lifetime of bad habits.

Well harry if you ever decide to expand to the midlands look me up lol :slight_smile:

SI_A:
Well harry if you ever decide to expand to the midlands look me up lol :slight_smile:

I would. The only type of driver I would refuse to employ is myself! :wink: