Your Earliest Lorry Memories....Oldest Lorry

I also drove this 1956 Albion Chiefton 723BBB, For Baxters Road Servivecs On The Quayside Newcastle, Regards Larry.

An old Mk 5 Revman the reg looks to be CET …, registered Rotherham between April 1939 to March 1946 although the pics likely were taken after the war period as there are no white stripes on the wings or blanked headlights, any idea of the date of the pics. May be the oldest vehicle on this thread at the moment!. Franky.

ye most of Eddie Shaws were Rotherham reg dads fleetno 60 was CET 828, later had the headlamps recessed,I would say the pics would be late forties early fifties my estimate is 1951 when I first rode with him,regards Alan

Only a very vague memory I’m afraid - When I was a kid my Dad worked on a farm (Foxholes Farm, on the A5 near Watford Gap - opposite the caravan dealership). They had an old 8-wheel (I think) tipper. I think it had a two-stroke diesel engine. My one recollection is that it was VERY NOISY INDEED in the cab when I rode beside my Dad. Sadly he passed away two years ago so I can’t ask him any more about it.

No photos either - so here’s one of my Dad at work in 1966

about the same time roymondo ,auld man driving.

Around the same time my Mum worked in the canteen at Sir Owen Williams, the civil engineers who were busy constructing the M1. Their place was a range of wooden buildings on the A5 crossroads at Watford Gap. I was too young for school, so Mum used to take me to the Blue Boar Cafe which used to stand on the opposite side of the A5 where the owner’s wife would mind me for a couple of hours a day. I used to spend a lot of my time riding around the lorry park on a pedal tractor.

Thanks for the reply Revman, I would think also the date would be around the very early 50’s, in fact in your second photo’s the Seddon CET 734 has the original style cab that Seddon built when they became manufacturers and turned out the first 6 Ton four wheeler that could travel at 30mph instead of the normal 20mph as the vehicle weighed less than Two and half Tons unladen. The first makers to achieve that and which helped the company to grow and prosper. Notice the radiator is slightly shorter and rectangular compared to the later Mk 5’s, these original builds were known as the CL, with the Perkins P6 Panther engine, inhouse 4 speed box, Kirkstall front and Moss rear axles. When the 20 mph limit was dropped Seddon could beef up the CL and name it the Mk 5. Cracking pics, cheers Franky.

my earliest memory of the first lorry i travelled in was my dads ergo super comet back in the seventies then he had there buffalo for a short while he worked then for pittsteel of aldridge used to travel everyday in the school holidays with him,they then replaced the leylands with 2 fiats and 3 d series ford sixwheelers,but i had soft spot for these ergo leylands and pitts finished in 1982 and my dad moved onto walton transport willenhall and as a kid i was over the moon when he was given a late lynx owd 457w tl 11 to drive and they had ybf 494m lynx with the 501 in it they were in service the w plate late 80,s and the oldest one to nthe early 90,s.

As a trailer mate at the age of 16 in 1948 I joined Mack’s hauliers of Silvertown. At that time we had AEC mammoths The mate would pull on the handle and the driver would pull on an attached rope to get the engine started. They very often kicked back and the mate would get the full force plus being chucked away. Those petrol lorries had the Auto Vac in front of the mates seat. After a while we also had AEC mammoth Majors … Plus some ex army ERFs still with the gun turrets in the roof. The firm was taken over by the BRS in 50 under the then then EAST HAM Haulage Co. Or as it was then the A1 BRS group.

This is not the first wagon I drove,that was a Reiver 7637 WJ.
This Peter Davies photo of LLU 428 fleet 96 of A E Evans was the oldest wagon I ever drove,registered in 1950,London C C.I started at their Sheffield depot in 1969 and this particular AEC MK3 MM was based at Barking. The driver was taken ill and went home on the train so I had to take it down to Barking via a white spirit drop at Cricklewood.
I remember tipping it and getting into the yard at Barking,filling up and parking up then to the office where I was handed night out money and train fare back to Sheffield next morning,a Saturday. :smiley:
So,being an enterprising lad,I put the money in the old sky rocket,walked to other side of A13 with log book,got a lift to Chequers Lane Dagenham,another lift in a car transporter of - I think it was one of Silcock and Collings - to Watford Gap,and then one of J J Shepherds ERFs to Sheffield city centre,whereupon I caught a bus home via a couple of pints in me local. :smiley:
A very good day that was. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I think the first wagon I was a passenger in was a twin steer Leyland tipper loaded with chippings from Eyam Quarries Derbyshire to Huddersfield one Saturday morning,I’d be about 8 then. :grimacing:

evans1.jpg

JIMBO47:
0 about the same time roymondo ,auld man driving.

Well thank you for posting this photo, it brought back some very good memories my father had one of those combines, I would stree it in a straight line whilst he and my grandfather sorted out the sacks.
Thanks Simmo

The rebuilt Atkinson 8 wheeler ( originally a 6 wheeler ) that I took my driving test in, in 1964 when on Suttons was first on the road in 1936…Tony.