Yank tractors. Anyone run one?

Lottery wins are not necessary, as prices are really low at present, what with the Pound/Dollar exchange rate. Anyway, the story so far leads us to a 1978 KENWORTH K100, with a big cam ■■■■■■■ 400 HP, 10 Spd, Engine Brake, , 22.5 Tires, All Aluminum Wheels, Tandem Axle, 450,000 miles, engine overhauled(2004)new clutch(2/05)new paint(2004)new driver air ride seat(2/05),lots of chrome,tires are 60%,has jakes,dual fuel tanks,dual chrome stacks, a snip at $8,000. I’m currently arranging a trip to Florida.
Import duty is 4.5% of the toal cost i.e purchase price & shipping etc then VAT @ 17.5% has to be paid on that total. I reckon that the toal will be in the region of £8000. The Type approval laws don’t apply to vehicles built before 1982, so that shouldn’t prove a problem. Sorted. (I’m sure I’ve missed something very obvious, and expensive that will come and bite me in the backside, but until that happens I’m pretty stoked!)

truckyboy:
so before importing it is best to have a word with the type approval guys first. the sites advertising on here such as the german ones i believe are mostly for trucks that would be used for shows as i have never ever seen a german registered american truck running on normal work…but…i have see even last week a dutch registered one…so that could be a way out…one i would consider…if i was to win the lottery…

There are several in France with both cabovers and conventionals often on ordinary length frigo work. How they get away with it is anyone’s guess, but they are quite open about it.

Salut, David.

Maybe there’s a special permit you can purchase ?! :confused:

caravan:
Maybe there’s a special permit you can purchase ?! :confused:

Now then, you’re not casting aspersions on our bold gendarmes are you? :open_mouth:

Salut, David

im told you can special permits in this country but its expensive my mate was talking to a guy who pulls 40 foot containers outta one of the thames ports with a volvo vn 660

Tramper,
Have you got a Kwhopper K100 yet :question:
The reason I ask is because I know where there is a 1981 KW K100 Aerodyne for sale a little bit closer than N.America!!! :smiley:
It was advertised last month in the Northern Ireland edition of the Auto Trader and its in Tallagh near Dublin and its still for sale for 18000 euro ono.
It looks quite clean in the pictures with tons of chrome, twin stacks, ■■■■■■■ power and an eyecatching paint job.
I think I remember seeing this truck for sale at last years Truckfest in Southern Ireland in a picture in an edition of “Trucking” mag.
Ring John O’Neil on 0035387 2551750 if interested. :wink:

Thanks for the info Big Truck,
in answer to your query, no I haven’t yet managed to acquire the Kenworth. It would appear that to register an imported truck from the states as a commercial vehicle rather than a show truck, is a little more involved than first thought. Therefore plans have been on hold while more information is being gathered. However, if this K100 areodyne in Dublin has been registered as a working rather than a show truck , maybe its worth a look. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Seriously, though, you’re talking about a truck the like of which have been retired from our roads for a decade. American trucks rarely make it past age 15.

I’ve recently been offered a Peterbuilt tractor, not a bad deal , but knowing little about running such a rig, I’m more than a little weary. Anyone out there have any experience of these beasts?

Our fleet has several O/O’s who run them. Is it a 359? What year? Which motor? Which transmission??

chris.eubank@hotmail.com

:wink: :laughing:

Hi AlexxinNY,
The truck is a 1996 378, with a CAT C12 (the same motor as in my ERF EC12) with a 16speed Eaton box. The wheeel base is 220 inch it has an axle ratio of 3.73, a 40 inch sleeper, and is on air suspension.

Is this model well regarded or not? I’m fairly confident of the CAT and Eaton set up as like I said, its the same as my ERF which pulls very well and returns about 6-7mpg plated at 40 tons. The truck looks great, some work needed but relitively ok. I’m a little dubious about the wheel base for work in the UK but there are others here and they seem to be fine, so I guess I’ll get used to it.
Thanks in advance for any light you are able to shed.
Simon.

Tramper:
I’m more than a little weary.

What is parts availability like for them in the UK?

Is John Scholey from Hutton Cranswick still running a yank on Geest?

Peterbilt trucks are noted for their good build quality. The Cat C12 motor is mostly used over here as a regional haul or moderate-load motor for semis, most heavier hauliers tend to order the C15, which is the motor that I am best acquainted with. I’m not sure how much similarity there is between the two motors-the C15 is an overhead-cam motor with a 2-turbo setup-expensive but very reliable. I’m not sure if the C12 is the same. I doubt it is the same, not from 1996, at least.

All of our new local tractors use the C12 motor, and they seem to be very reliable and the drivers like them, but they only get maybe 50k miles a year, compared to the usual 150k on the road tractors.

The 16 speed Eaton transmission is not a type seen over here. Our Eaton transmissions come in 9, 10, 13, 15 and 18 speeds. I’m not sure if yours is a synchro or an automated box, but all of our boxes here are non-synchro. Since this is something rare over there, you should ask first.

Peterbilt and Kenworth are owned by PACCAR, which I believe also owns DAF or MAN (can’t remember wich) and one other European manufacturer. As a result, I assume parts will be at least available, even if they are not common. Cat motors will have parts in more places than ■■■■■■■ motors, but parts may still be a bit dodgy over there.

One last thing for you to consider is the maouverability of this truck. Peterbilts are not really noted for manoeverability, although it depends which steer axle is spec’ed. American trucks are not quite as standard as Euro trucks are, since almost evey major component can be chosen from a list, making for quite a lot of variation from 1 unit to the next. Try it out on the road-it might be good and it might be a pig.

Thanks Alex, it would appear that either the trans has been changed at some point (strange on a 9 year old vehicle) or its maybe an 13 or 18 speed, I’ll check. I’m in no hurry to buy so I might give this one a miss, I’ll keep you all informed.

in the uk what we call an 16 speed eaton is what the americans call an 18 speed. we dont count reverse . :question:

dave:
in the uk what we call an 16 speed eaton is what the americans call an 18 speed. we dont count reverse . :question:

Same with 18-wheelers that we call a 10, or 3+2, or 6-wheeler & tandem. All very confusing :unamused:

Salut, David.