Any help or advice on buying an American truck please

Hello all, I’m currently looking into possibly buying an American unit, possibly one which is already in this country or from overseas if needs be. Does anyone have any help or advice please they could offer possibly to me? I would be ever so grateful of any information relating to this subject.many thanks indeed,
Harryvr6.

harryvr6:
Hello all, I’m currently looking into possibly buying an American unit, possibly one which is already in this country or from overseas if needs be. Does anyone have any help or advice please they could offer possibly to me? I would be ever so grateful of any information relating to this subject.many thanks indeed,
Harryvr6.

I would look at UK-registered units as your starting place. The cost of having a US vehicle converted to UK / EU construction-and-use regs would probably be prohibitive nowadays. Robert

my cousins know a bit about this ,they had an X reg kenworth which was fine to use ,later they bought I think was F reg and couldn’t get c & u on it ,more recently they went to Ohio 88 truck show to purchase a new Freightliner but again the c & u job didn’t look good so they didn’t bother .

If you’re looking for a good Mack, I can recommend www.mackmonne.nl from Holland, they handle
and rebuild Macks since 1974

harryvr6:
Harryvr6.

Hello,

You may find some answers in the September 2015 Trucking Magazine page 78.

Cheers,

Roger.

Pete359 AKA Andrew Cooper is your man to advise you.
Cheers Dave.

Thank you all very much indeed chaps, I’ve seen a place called RR sales on the internet, seems they can import and deal with all the paperwork etc, Would be ideal to buy one which is already in this country! but i shall keep researching. Thank you for the tip off regarding ‘Pete 359’ i had a feeling somebody on here would be the oracle for all things american.

many thanks, harryvr6.

hi harry the company you mention is R&R classics based in Lincolnshire they have a web site and I think they are still operating ,they run a farm agricultural engineering business and imported a Kenworth k100 for there own use and got loads of enquiries and started bringing more trucks over some where even sourced to specific requirements .as I say they still have a web site but I don’t know if its still live hope this is of help Paul…

Thank you Paul, I’m going to email them I think and see what they say.

Thanks again, harryvr6.

Spotted on ebay.
ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-White-Ro … 2102523d44

harryvr6:
Thank you all very much indeed chaps, I’ve seen a place called RR sales on the internet, seems they can import and deal with all the paperwork etc, Would be ideal to buy one which is already in this country! but i shall keep researching. Thank you for the tip off regarding ‘Pete 359’ i had a feeling somebody on here would be the oracle for all things american.

many thanks, harryvr6.

hi harry,
be very very careful where you buy your truck.everything has changed regarding type approval legislation since october 2014.my advice is simple,only buy a truck that is already registered for use in the u.k.when i purchased my peterbilt 359 from west virginia back in 2008 it was a relatively simple registration process,in fact the complete opposite to now!these days it’s a veritable minefield and imo an impossible task to type approve a yank for use in the u.k.R and R Classics is an excellent place to start looking.hope all that helps.
regards andrew.