american trucks

Just to get back to the original question, I have a few contacts that may be of use to you.

Colin (Lincs) 01427 628405
07768 827935

He has a couple of 359 Petes & an Autocar coming in.

Phil Nash, Braintree, Essex
01376 331042
0860 717866

He currently has a 1982 KW W900 for sale. Price £8500

I hope these may be of help to you.

:open_mouth: Well I love old US trucks. I don’t care whether they are backward, uncomfortable & thirsty. Weapon of choice for me is the Kenworth K100 with a 110 inch Aerodyne sleeper, Caterpillar 3406, and Eaton box. Next on the list, Peterbilt 352H Pacemaker, same mill and trans. Like most folks in the UK who ■■■■ after US Trucks have been influenced by shows and films such as BJ & the Bear , Convoy, Smokey and the Bandit etc, and the vehicle represents lifestyle more than transport.
If you were to park a VN Volvo next to a K100 Aerodyne or a 352 I would put money on the KW or the Pete to attract more interest.

Back on topic, Carl… what sort of money do you want to spend?

Oops, I just noticed the date on the thread. Found the forum through this thread so assumed it was current

Humding:
Oops, I just noticed the date on the thread. Found the forum through this thread so assumed it was current

Ive just read through the whole thing, didnt notice the dates either until you said. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Toploadertom:

Humding:

Ive just read through the whole thing, didnt notice the dates either until you said. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who cares■■? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

We might even get the old argument going again :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: .

We all know that those American trucks are dinosaurs. It seems that the manufacturers only supply what’s generally demanded. As the American truckers don’t know any better, they demand the more of the same old junk that they where driving when they started. Its a vicious circle. :smiling_imp: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

ive just reread that and all i were after was a number or address for an importer :laughing: good read tho. :laughing:

For a rough idea on used Kenworths Down Under,RHD;
cmvkenworth.ihub.com.au/portal/a … fault.aspx

Some cheap K100’s,80’s models etc.

I like Euro trucks. Ive read this stuff on this site befor. And it you look at a new Peterbilt or Kenworth they look like they were built in the 50’s. Me going by pictures of course. Im 19. I work in a shop for large trucks. I like the Freightliner c120 pretty much made by Mercedes. And also the Volvo 770. I think Kenworth and Perterbilt look like crap. Mack makes tough trucks. For Europe, i like Volvo and Scania.

Mike

you could also try www.american-trucks.fr
this garage isnt far from me so i have a quick look every time i go past.
they run on live animal transport and always look the part with there t2000 kenworths but my series 1 460fh used to go past them like they were standing still when going up hill!!!
salut
chris

does anybody know of any companys importing second hand american trucks into the uk.i know ther was some one up north who did this but can,t remember the name and ive searched the web no joy.cheers jonah :laughing:

Why are you interested :question:
Take it from me American trucks are rubbish compared to Euro Trucks, I would give the Earth to have a ‘Technologicaly’ way advance Euro truck :slight_smile:

im after one for doin shows pat i was going to buy a v8 scania but theryre quite popular on the show scene so want somthing a bit differant.i d love a vn 770 but i aint got that much money :laughing:

How much you offering for a Yank Volvo?..I got a VN 610 with all the bells and whistles that would be for sale at the right price. As Pat said American trucks are absolutely crap. Old fashioned junk, 1950’s technology in the 21st century. Thats why I have a Volvo, it may not be a true Euro Volvo but it is was the closest I could get at the time, the only reason I would put it up for sale is to replace it witha brand new one, spec’ced as close to a Euro spec I can possibly get!

cliff and pat youve got me thinking why do so many of us want or have wanted to drive american big rigs a couple of people have told me the ride on them is terrable plus they have 12volt electrics and you guys have both said you prefer euro trucks .from what ive read volvo do quite well in america cuz theyre ergonomic and all that.the only thing i can think of is it must be all that chrome.ive seen pics of your rig and its nice,thanks for the offer but i aint got that much cash :laughing:

Check out Ebay - classic cars - american - 2 trucks for sale a Kenworth & Mac

The reason so many UK drivers want to drive Yank trucks is because they have’nt yet already done so!, once they have, most will wonder whatever possessed them to want to drive one in the first place :open_mouth:

The attraction is, they are big,fast & macho, they look good especially with all the chrome etc. That is about as far as it goes, looks and looks only, most UK drivers would hate to have to spend their entire working life making a living in one. If you are used to Euro trucks with modern technology along with driver friendly ergonomics, smooth and comfortable ride etc then you will not like a US truck, US trucks are everything but the aforementioned, the only advantage US trucks have over Euro trucks are the size of the sleepers, which is another good reason to have a US Volvo, with a US Volvo you can combine a Euro truck cab with a US truck sleeper…a great combination!

cliff have you seen the t cab scania owned by a dutch guy called peter kempen if ya havnt then bassically its a tcab longline theres a pic of it on www.v8power.nl do ya think the scannie long line would sell well over there :laughing:

Nice trucks!, that Scania looks the dogs wotsits does’nt it?

Scania used to sell over here back in the 1980’s, they pulled out about 1989-90. They sold the 112 and 142 cabovers and T cabs, a few 113’s made it over here too. For the most part they did’nt sell too well, most US drivers are content with what they already have over here, Yank drivers are very loath to try anything different. I do know one Yank driver who owns a 112 T cab, he has over 1,000,000 miles on the original engine but has gone through 4 transmissions because as true to form over here they are only used to Constant mesh tranmissions (Scania being the only class 8 manufacturer to offer the Synchromesh box) he of course always treated the Scania Transmission as a constant mesh and refuses to stop double de-clutching it, as he can’t bring himself to accept any other kind of manual box!
I have some pictures of his truck but they are on 35mm, and for the moment I don’t have a scanner to be able to put them into put into my 'puter.
There are still quite a few Scania’s on the road over here, most are up North as I’m sure Pat Hasler will testify to, there is also a Scania dealer still in NY, Scania still maintain an office in Texas, in fact it has been reported to me by yank drivers I know, that the current R and T cabbed Scanias can be seen quite frequently at truckstops on the US side of the border with Mexico (Scania has a plant downin Mexico,a number of Mexican truckers run them). Most of the Scania owners I have come across since I have been over here have been European/UK/ Irish owner drivers, in fact there used to be a loose confedaration of Irish Owner drivers based somewhere up around Illinois back in the 90’s all of whom ran Scanias. About the only Scania 113 that I see fairly regulary is the one that transports SAAB racing cars.

So back to your question about the Scanny longline, given what I’ve already told you, then No I don’t think it would sell well over here, except to ex-pats like myself and Pat Hasler etc. There was an article in one of the UK mags that mentioned Scania being asked the same question, unfortunately their answer was that they had no plans to re-enter the US market.

I could never understand this thing about US trucks. I’ve driven one and it was loud, ride was not a patch on the latest Euro spec truck, mirrors were all but useless and I think egonomic might be a dirty word to the US truck builders. Did have flat floor though :smiley:

Jonah,
Why don’t you contact volvo to see if they can help you ? they do make them in sweeden also for some far east countries, they also use VN 660’s like Cliff’s and Mine (On the left) for the Austrailian market :slight_smile: