XF105 engine problems

Trickydick:
MX11 ad-blue injector 711.00gbp incl the vat!

Which version ■■ as i have never changed either version

norb:

Harry Monk:
I feel your pain Matt and hope you get it sorted out one way or another. If I did ever run a truck again the main difference is that I would run a leased truck with full R&M rather than owning one.

Harry a EURO 6 truck without full R&M will bankrupt you sadly…Due to all the crap fitted nowday there is no such thing as a five minute job ,well a fuse and a relay is about as close as you will get…The stores don’t stock the parts so it is always a rebook which isnt good for the customer or the workshop…Strangely the workshop always get the bad name when a large portortion of issues are stores related and nothing to do with the workshop

I was quoted recently for a 450 8x4, £43000 on top of the chassis for full monty R&M from Lancs Daf Preston. No it is not a mistake I questioned it with Daf HQ.

Tarmac duck:

norb:

Harry Monk:
I feel your pain Matt and hope you get it sorted out one way or another. If I did ever run a truck again the main difference is that I would run a leased truck with full R&M rather than owning one.

Harry a EURO 6 truck without full R&M will bankrupt you sadly…Due to all the crap fitted nowday there is no such thing as a five minute job ,well a fuse and a relay is about as close as you will get…The stores don’t stock the parts so it is always a rebook which isnt good for the customer or the workshop…Strangely the workshop always get the bad name when a large portortion of issues are stores related and nothing to do with the workshop

I was quoted recently for a 450 8x4, £43000 on top of the chassis for full monty R&M from Lancs Daf Preston. No it is not a mistake I questioned it with Daf HQ.

So over 5 years that’s £716pm, am guessing that’s no tyres or brakes,

You could put £700 pm into an account,and hope nowt goes wrong,and in 5 years you have £43k, for a shiney new one.

Yes I think it covers brakes, but even so that is a lump ! Just as a contrast Renault want £534 for the same full monty.

norb:

Trickydick:
MX11 ad-blue injector 711.00gbp incl the vat!

Which version ■■ as i have never changed either version

Havent a clue which version, workmate was doing it and I was doing what all techs do when they see another struggle, walk the long way around :grimacing:

I kind of suspected it didnt need doing as he was doing a Euro5 PR engine the other day with exhaust system warning (fault code said no difference between pre and post sensors) and the was changing the post cat nox sensor when I asked him why he said it was old and dirty! After explaining to him what did what and that if the truck could see the ppm before and after the cat theres a damned good chance the nox was doing whats its meant to and the fault would be elsewhwere, in the end we tracked it down to the dosing module, first time Ive seen one of the newer style ones go down.

The latest Euro 5 version ,the body will deteriorate before it fails …MY2017 is 100% different to the Euro 6 model and is a brand new system ,Different pump ,dosing valve ,and a new exhaust system …Hence I was interested in what version ,MY2017 would still be warranty as would certain Euro 6 vehicles

biggriffin:

xfmatt:

finbarot:
Hi
Sorry to hear of you bad luck
Can I suggest you PM Norb, he is the go to man for Dafs.Always been very helpful and I think he really knows his stuff
Good Luck

Yeah I have pestered Norb before on here I just thought I’d put it to the public to see if they have any experience of it happening.

Lastest update from Daf; there’s 5 liners which have dropped in the block, number 5 being the worst. They are awaiting an engineering firm to come out to see if it is possible to recut the block and insert an oversize liner. The mechanic dealing with it has advised me it’s touch and go as to whether it’s too far gone as the liner has been loose in the block. He said using water and antifreeze could have corroded the liners and caused this problem? Apparently Daf should have a certain coolant and deionised water only in the cooling system? If it is possible to recut the block for an oversize liner the total cost for full rebuild will be £6-8k. If it isn’t possible to recut the block the engine will be U/S with less than 600k kms on the clock!

Matt.

Big assumption here, but if you could prove that, whoever serviced it last,and changed the coolant, and refilled with incorrect mix…

Already tried that! Unfortunately non main dealer service garage replied “we’ve always used ■■■■■■■ antifreeze and water and never had any bother with any other truck, they just using that as a get out clause for their own faults!”

lee mat:
I had a 105 that had 2 engine rebuilds in less than 700k km the 2nd time it went it cracked a liner and it bent a rod I did just one liner and its still running well now but i lost all faith in it and sold it .If it happens again on another one i would scrap it its not worth doing in an older truck its all the small bits that push the bill up .did you not get an oil warning light come on

If I could get away with doing one and putting it back together I would and then get out of it with as much money as I could get for it. However, they reckon once they start they’ll do all of them, so long as Number 5 will recut and the oversize liner will fit. Who knows?!

Harry Monk:

I see your point and would love to go down this route with a fixed cost and no nasty surprises. However, the type of money they want for Euro 6 on lease with full R&M is just ridiculous. Looking at around £400-450 per week. Finance on a secondhand one is roughly £7000 per year plus say £6000 on maintenance so you’ve still got £7-8000 left over every year for an engine/gearbox rebuild!

Would be very interested to look into the lease deal Renault are currently doing on secondhand trucks. £289 per week including maintenance on a 65 plate T range is what’s been advertised. Problem is they want £50 per week extra for tipping gear.

Matt.

norb:
The latest Euro 5 version ,the body will deteriorate before it fails …MY2017 is 100% different to the Euro 6 model and is a brand new system ,Different pump ,dosing valve ,and a new exhaust system …Hence I was interested in what version ,MY2017 would still be warranty as would certain Euro 6 vehicles

Didnt know that been away from the Daf dealer for 3 years and its amazing how tech marches on and I havent a clue its even changed :angry:
Sadly all our Euro6 are 64 plates so out of warranty, mind you we had plenty changed/fixed in the warranty.

I am more than surprised that a manufacturer’s dealer would not be directing strict observance of coolant maintenance procedure. One only has to look at the inside of a kettle to see what happens when tap water is heated. The harder the water locally the worse the problem becomes. Living in the same hard water area I have been using manufacturer recommended antifreeze concentrations with distilled or deionised water for more than 20 years. I can recall there were instructions given over 30 years ago by dealerships I worked at, including using the red and green liquid in the bottles of Fleetguard coolant test kits.

There is some limited evidence that the need to treat boiler water was recognised back in the days of steam and supposedly practised by British Railways and some of the bus companies. What I come across regularly when dealing with 50 year old engines and cooling systems however seems to point otherwise.

Below is a 50 year old gear driven water pump casting which I removed some months ago, the damage is around where the gland weep hole used to be.

xfmatt:

finbarot:
Hi
Sorry to hear of you bad luck
Can I suggest you PM Norb, he is the go to man for Dafs.Always been very helpful and I think he really knows his stuff
Good Luck

Yeah I have pestered Norb before on here I just thought I’d put it to the public to see if they have any experience of it happening.

Lastest update from Daf; there’s 5 liners which have dropped in the block, number 5 being the worst. They are awaiting an engineering firm to come out to see if it is possible to recut the block and insert an oversize liner. The mechanic dealing with it has advised me it’s touch and go as to whether it’s too far gone as the liner has been loose in the block. He said using water and antifreeze could have corroded the liners and caused this problem? Apparently Daf should have a certain coolant and deionised water only in the cooling system? If it is possible to recut the block for an oversize liner the total cost for full rebuild will be £6-8k. If it isn’t possible to recut the block the engine will be U/S with less than 600k kms on the clock!

Matt.

was going to say dropped liners

Caterpillar 3306B that Foden fitted in some trucks did exactly the same thing, and, it was said for similar reasons, ie antifreeze issues.
CAT would recut the liner seats and insert a stainless steel shim to bring the liner back up to the correct height. You were told that it would last two years and then to burn it in a lay by somewhere. Cost around two and a half K with a years warranty so well worth it.
An old CAT man told me that the engine had been designed to run with a copper asbestos head gasket, but that the engines heading for the UK./EU, had to have a composite gasket which was the real root of the problem.
Every body has a different story to tell, but I’ve had some very high mileages from Volvos , particularly the D 12, without ever laying a spanner near them, and they still drove down country to the export boat.
Was talking, if you could call it that, to some local drivers in the old port in Dubai. They reckoned the FH with D12 380 would run for ever.
Yes, I know it won fix your DAF, but I just fancied another ramble. Good luck with it whatever you do though.

Am in the same situation xfmatt looking and newer truck with everything all in but I need a truck that isnt fleet spec hard to find and as you say more money for what you need .With them wanting to do all the liners they will rebuild everthing between the front bumper and back lights if you let them as your paying the bill .keep a close eye on that bill before you go ahead as its not just the garage bill its the down time ,replacement truck the list as you are aware goes on and on and sadly you will never get your money back .Very Tempting renting is looking for me as if it was a rental heres your broken truck give me another one please

In my car I use distilled water and anti-freezee at 50/50. With a 20L drum of distilled water for £8-£10. Makes sense.
It’s becoming very common thread on car forums.

Old John:
Caterpillar 3306B that Foden fitted in some trucks did exactly the same thing, and, it was said for similar reasons, ie antifreeze issues.
CAT would recut the liner seats and insert a stainless steel shim to bring the liner back up to the correct height. You were told that it would last two years and then to burn it in a lay by somewhere. Cost around two and a half K with a years warranty so well worth it.
An old CAT man told me that the engine had been designed to run with a copper asbestos head gasket, but that the engines heading for the UK./EU, had to have a composite gasket which was the real root of the problem.
Every body has a different story to tell, but I’ve had some very high mileages from Volvos , particularly the D 12, without ever laying a spanner near them, and they still drove down country to the export boat.
Was talking, if you could call it that, to some local drivers in the old port in Dubai. They reckoned the FH with D12 380 would run for ever.
Yes, I know it won fix your DAF, but I just fancied another ramble. Good luck with it whatever you do though.

Had 3 4000 series with 3406b CATS and all 3 dropped No 6 liner. Did get some help from CAT but after the third one did it pit a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ in instead of repairing the CAT

nyk473l:

Old John:

Had 3 4000 series with 3406b CATS and all 3 dropped No 6 liner. Did get some help from CAT but after the third one did it pit a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ in instead of repairing the CAT

Poxy cats ,atleast your saw the light eventually :laughing:

Dropping liners is common in many engines apart from the ones fitted with mid stop liners!

cav551:
I am more than surprised that a manufacturer’s dealer would not be directing strict observance of coolant maintenance procedure. One only has to look at the inside of a kettle to see what happens when tap water is heated. The harder the water locally the worse the problem becomes. Living in the same hard water area I have been using manufacturer recommended antifreeze concentrations with distilled or deionised water for more than 20 years. I can recall there were instructions given over 30 years ago by dealerships I worked at, including using the red and green liquid in the bottles of Fleetguard coolant test kits.

There is some limited evidence that the need to treat boiler water was recognised back in the days of steam and supposedly practised by British Railways and some of the bus companies. What I come across regularly when dealing with 50 year old engines and cooling systems however seems to point otherwise.

Below is a 50 year old gear driven water pump casting which I removed some months ago, the damage is around where the gland weep hole used to be.

To be fair cav .All vehicle on a contrct will have the A/F checked and strengthened accordingly as for the distilled water that will never happen ,no one will pay for it ,it,s the same for white goods ,where i am the water is soft so white goods last a lifetime ,down south where the water is harder,then white goods have a limited life span ,i have never known anyone use distilled water in their iron for example …A lot of the problems is small fleets and owner operator who use main dealers and will no give authority for anything ,but are then quick to blame the said dealers for any little issue they then later have because we inspected it ,even when it has beenpointed out to them for the last 4 inspections …They then play the i was never told or got inspection sheets ,well they get a phone call and a e-mail ,and all inspections sheets are electronic so they get it ,as i find it odd that they wouldn’t query never getting any inspection sheets for their vehicles over the last X amount of months

They will willingly pay £1 a litre for bottled water to shove down their throats when tap water will do, yet the thought of paying around half that amount to for a litre of deionised for their radiator is too much. Quite frankly they deserve what’s coming.
You are quite right about the iron though, the destructions for ours tell you not to use distilled. We are forever cleaning little bits of calcium off the ironing board cover.