Volvo FH 13 Piston Problems

Anyone on here running FH 13 had any engine problems, namely piston problems

Weve got 2 fm13 440’s that have both recently been in to be relined as we were told when we bought them that these needed doing regularly. …not sure how regularly tho sorry…

Interesting ! Bought a FH13 lately and had to get new pistons and liners, one piston had a hole in it and the other five were cracked, damage to liners also

Well that doesn’t sound very good for Volvo quality does it…

Silver_Surfer:
Well that doesn’t sound very good for Volvo quality does it…

That’s what I’m trying to find out ! Is it isolated or a common problem with them

if cracking pistons you would think there may be an injector problem …but im not a Volvo person

Volvo main dealer said it was down to high sulphur diesel but I’m just trying to see if anyone else had the same experience

sound’s far more like kerosene being used to dilute the diesel to me, this problem is quite common as kerro burns at a higher temp and this is the result!

Yeah Moose I agree, had also considered laundered diesel but the fact that it came from a major DIY merchants fleet sort of threw me off that.

I’ve not heard of piston problems before with the 13 litre, and haven’t experienced any problems myself (yet!). How old is the truck and how many km?

08 with 750k full Volvo Service history

A firm that haul straw for me had one with 400k on it that had an engine rebuild at £7k cost a week or two ago, was using a gallon or two a week of oil.

Think this is why Mercedes have gone on to steel pistons in there new engines.There is only so much thermal loading aluminium alloy pistons can take and as combustion temperatures are raised to increase thermal efficiency and get a cleaner burn the problem can only get worse.
Steel pistons can take a much higher level of thermal loading.

Seems unlikely with a fleet truck but they’ve not had it remapped or something like that?

Bking:
Think this is why Mercedes have gone on to steel pistons in there new engines.There is only so much thermal loading aluminium alloy pistons can take and as combustion temperatures are raised to increase thermal efficiency and get a cleaner burn the problem can only get worse.
Steel pistons can take a much higher level of thermal loading.

Make sense !

Own Account Driver:
Seems unlikely with a fleet truck but they’ve not had it remapped or something like that?

No not been remapped or tampered with in any way. Was a Volvo contract truck.

Was it an EGR engine? That whole concept basically runs higher combustion temps in order to get the N0X levels down. The returned exhaust gas is cooled somewhat, but it’s still a lot hotter than normal air that’s been through a turbo and an intercooler.

The US version of the D13 has been EGR from its launch in 2007, they’re not known for burning pistons out, but I’m sure the odd one has…

The D13 is notorious for injector cup failure, a bad injector, could over time, be a contributing factor.

What state are the bearings in?

Everything else with the engine was perfect but at the same time we had the whole lot rebuilt. No.4 piston had a hole in it and damaged the liner all other pistons were cracked. Bit of the piston in the oil pump so that was replaced also. Basically full engine rebuild kit put into it . Not an EGR engine , Add Blue which caused the problem as the fault would probably have been evident on a non add blue engine by looking at exhaust fumes.

I got service histories of two other 08 FH 's and they had pistons replaced, and while I was collecting the truck the mechanic came it to report a truck with a piston gone.

Not a common issue on the 13 ltr engines… Bad luck I’d say…

Hover80:
Not a common issue on the 13 ltr engines… Bad luck I’d say…

I’ve seen a lot of D13 litre engines in trouble in the last 2~3 years…funnily enough the vast majority have been in FMs. I’m coming to the conclusion the smaller cab must be conducive to overheating/thermal overload…