WTD

Looking for a hand with the above, regarding breaks.

Couple of scenarios:

If I work 10 hours, drive 4 hours 25 minutes what would the length of working time directive break(s) be?

If I work 11 hours, drive 7 hours and take 45 before 4.5 hours would there be any other requirement for a further wtd break dependant on what time the 45 was taken?

Thanks in advance

If you do more than 9 hours work in a shift you need a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.

Whether a 45 min break for driving hours suffices all the break requirements for the working time regs depends on whether you will exceed six hours work between any break or the start/end of the shift.

Jimmy McNulty:

Couple of scenarios:

(A) If I work 10 hours, drive 4 hours 25 minutes what would the length of working time directive break(s) be?

(B) If I work 11 hours, drive 7 hours and take 45 before 4.5 hours would there be any other requirement for a further wtd break dependant on what time the 45 was taken?

Thanks in advance

A = 45 mins - can be 3 x 15s
B = WTD And TACHO breaks OK
CAVEAT - as long as no more than 6 hours is worked between breaks

ROG:

Jimmy McNulty:

Couple of scenarios:

(A) If I work 10 hours, drive 4 hours 25 minutes what would the length of working time directive break(s) be?

(B) If I work 11 hours, drive 7 hours and take 45 before 4.5 hours would there be any other requirement for a further wtd break dependant on what time the 45 was taken?

Thanks in advance

I’d be grateful if you could explain. If just WTD one could take 15 mins after 3 hours but with driving as well I thought it had to be 15 then 30.

Jimmy McNulty:

Couple of scenarios:

If I work 10 hours, drive 4 hours 25 minutes what would the length of working time directive break(s) be?

For the working time regulations if the total working time is more than 9 hours you need a break or breaks totalling 45 minutes.
(the 45 minute WTD break does not have to be taken in multiples of 15 minute segments, you could have a 25 minute break and a 20 minute break, the only stipulation is that WTD breaks have to be at-least 15 minutes long)

Jimmy McNulty:
If I work 11 hours, drive 7 hours and take 45 before 4.5 hours would there be any other requirement for a further wtd break dependant on what time the 45 was taken?

As above a total of 45 minutes break or breaks is required for the working time regulations.
(You could have a split driving break the first of which must be at-least 15 minutes and the second part must be at-least 30 minutes, as long as you don’t go over 6 hours working time without a break of 15minutes the driving break would be enough for the WTD)

Working Time Regulations

RT(WT)R Breaks

You should not exceed 6 hours working time without a break of at-least 15 minutes.
If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 30 minute break/breaks during the shift.
If your working time exceeds 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 45 minute break/breaks during the shift.
Breaks for the working time regulations can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.
Breaks that are at the immediate start of finish of the shift will not count for the working time regulations (breaks must interrupt the working time).

• Up-to 6 hours working time.
    No break is legally required.[/*:m][/list:u]

• If in the shift there is more than 6 hours working time but not more than 9 hours working time.
    A total break/breaks of 30 minutes is required, this can be taken in 2 parts of 15 minutes each and at-least 15 minutes of the 30 minute break should be taken before going over 6 hours working time.[/*:m][/list:u]

Or (Depending on the total working time in the shift you are legally required to comply with either the rule above ↑, or the rule bellow ↓, but not both)

• If in the shift there is more than 9 hours working time.
    Total break/breaks should be at-least 45 minutes and at no point in the shift should you do more than 6 hours working time before having a break of at-least 15 minutes.
    So for the 6 hour rule a 15 minute break should be taken
  • No later than 6 hours working time from the start of the shift
    And
  • No later than 6 hours working time since the end of the last break.[/list:u][/list:u][/*:m][/list:u]

Breaks for the working time regulations (RT(WT)R 2005) can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each and cannot be taken at the immediate start or end of the shift.

Driving breaks count as breaks for the RT(WT)R and where appropriate breaks for the RT(WT)R count as driving breaks.

Working Time

Maximum 60 hours working time in a week (this does not include breaks or POA).
Average working time over the reference period must not exceed 48 hours per week.

jessejazza:

ROG:

Jimmy McNulty:

Couple of scenarios:

Thanks in advance

I’d be grateful if you could explain. If just WTD one could take 15 mins after 3 hours but with driving as well I thought it had to be 15 then 30.

15+30 for driving time breaks but you stated that no driving time breaks was needed as less than 4.5 hours driving in the shift

ROG:

jessejazza:

ROG:

Jimmy McNulty:

Couple of scenarios:

Thanks in advance

15+30 for driving time breaks but you stated that no driving time breaks was needed as less than 4.5 hours driving in the shift

silly me ovrlooked that! thanks