Willy Harrison - Sheffield

carl jones:
yes thats right . another co from there were barbers . they ran the roadtrains with different coloured stripes. we used to do container work to felixstowe for them. who did you work for chris ?

I worked for C.H.Preston Sheffield 1968-69,Naylor and Wagstaffe Parkway Market Sheffield 1969-70,A.E.Evans tankers 1970-79 and MFS/GGD/Wincanton Maltby 1979-2005.Do you remember Kenworthys from Barnsley? I had a good mate who worked for them in the 60s,he had an Albion Reiver with an alloy body for a start and it was not much cop for carrying steel so they gave him another another Reiver with a wooden body,two years older than the other one :smiley: I remember Barbers as well but I’m not sure if they are still going,I know Newell and Wright are still flying about on the box job though :laughing:

hi chris-carl there is aec v8 mandator of willy harrisons that jonny burdon drove & he kept it on his farm at dalton hoping to restore it.alan jones drove for h brown any relation carl, he was at len greens same time as myself-alan

yes, he s my dad. he s retired now but i know he d love to see that motor , and maybe a couple of his old mates. which alan are you ? we ve heard most of the stories from len greens and scotherns, harrisons and brian thorpes. i think len greens was the favourite co though , willie coming a close second .

hi lads i worked for gloystarne as a fitter from 76 to 95.repaired and drove all the motors,from 240 f88to man 372. good crowd to work for always plenty of money as long as you didnt ever want to go home. when i first started we only had 8 motors all f88s.they could catch pigeons .but wouldnt stop and had alot of liner seal problems.then we got 2x280 mans collumn change real quiet to drive,cold to sleep in, and never went like f88.then got man321 what amotor pulled like trains,and nobody was brave enough to find top speed. anyway iff theres any old gloystarne lads still alive out there good luck and good health

Hi trickygaz. we had 2 280 s from gloystarnes, lsu583v & pcp91x. they put a tag axle on her. looked great but made her slower than the rest.They rusted like mad as well. it had an eminox which made it sound fast though ha ha .

carl jones:
Hi trickygaz. we had 2 280 s from gloystarnes, lsu583v & pcp91x. they put a tag axle on her. looked great but made her slower than the rest.They rusted like mad as well. it had an eminox which made it sound fast though ha ha .

I remember one of Gloystarne’s artics leaning on a lampost on Shalesmoor,Sheffield early one morning when I was going back to Maltby off nights.It had a sheeted load of British Tissues and was starting to slip hence the help with the lampost.
Mind you,the rate they travelled I’m not surprised loads slipped now and again :laughing:

hi chris,the one that turned over at shalesmoor killed the driver.he was called tony reaney only worked casual for about 3 days.after investigation accident was said to have two factors ,loaded wrong and vehicle going too slow .apparently it reached something called critcal roll over speed,whih is when sideways momentum is more than forward momentum

trickygaz:
hi chris,the one that turned over at shalesmoor killed the driver.he was called tony reaney only worked casual for about 3 days.after investigation accident was said to have two factors ,loaded wrong and vehicle going too slow .apparently it reached something called critcal roll over speed,whih is when sideways momentum is more than forward momentum

I remember seeing the picture of it in the Star Gaz,would it have been in the late 80s?

hi chris. it was at reg tractor and it was almost new t suffix not prefix what ever year that was

trickygaz:
hi chris. it was at reg tractor and it was almost new t suffix not prefix what ever year that was

That was a 1977 reg Gaz,I didn’t realise it was as long ago as that :open_mouth:

Hi chris, my grandad used to load kenworthy,s at elsecar colliery. i knew 1 of the drivers there , but cant remember his name . He was from birdwell and ended his driving days at collin vaines. his sense of humour was as big as himself . He must have been the biggest lorry driver in barnsley,sadly he passed away about 5 years ago .

3300John:
Willy Harrison ran two tone blue and white Mercs with a red chassis. I think in 1981/2 he won the world F1 stock car championship at Bradford passing Bert Finikin(BM FINN Volvos Tarmac comtract) Finn won the year after. I thought Willy was a great chap he suffered heart problems and died in the mid 80s
of a heart attack.he was the brother of Sid but not a friend.You can choose a friend but not a relative.
John

the info on willie is incorrect
Willie Harrison 2 won the f1 World Final at the old Belle Vue in 1982 2nd was Mike close 199 3rd Dave berresford 260 Also yes Willie did have heart problems and he is now enjoying watching his son Paul F1 no 2 and grand son Bradley 22
race there cars . When i spoke to Willie at this years Coventry world final last month he was in fine form a reel nice guy .

2Willie.jpg

kings 260:

3300John:
Willy Harrison ran two tone blue and white Mercs with a red chassis. I think in 1981/2 he won the world F1 stock car championship at Bradford passing Bert Finikin(BM FINN Volvos Tarmac comtract) Finn won the year after. I thought Willy was a great chap he suffered heart problems and died in the mid 80s
of a heart attack.he was the brother of Sid but not a friend.You can choose a friend but not a relative.
John

Willie Harrison 2 won the f1 World Final at the old Belle Vue in 1982 2nd was Mike close 199 3rd Dave berresford 260 Also yes Willie did have heart problems and he is now enjoying watching his son Paul F1 no 2 and grand son Bradley 22
race there cars . When i spoke to Willie at this years Coventry world final last month he was in fine form a reel nice guy .

Hiya …can i say a very big sorry to what i put about willy i would.nt say that about anyone.i worked out of Sheffield in the 80s and i was asking about different
people and this chap said that willy had passed on. very very sorry
John

kings 260:

3300John:
John

When you next speak to him can you ask if he remembers Roy Kelly and John Barnes from Oldham way.

B1 GGK:

kings 260:

3300John:
John

When you next speak to him can you ask if he remembers Roy Kelly and John Barnes from Oldham way.

Would that be john bender barnes 233

kings 260:

B1 GGK:

kings 260:

3300John:
John

Would that be john bender barnes 233

Think thats the guy yeh, my dad did some spannering for him.

I’d like to add that on the Stock Car front Rotherham’s Willie Harrison (No 2) was an absolute bona fide legend who started way back at the dawn of the sport (1954) and finally won the Gold Roof (World Championship) in 1982 after many near misses (like 1971) Not sure when he retired but he was always one of the top drivers (Red Top - A Grade) and a real gentleman, loved and respected by all in Stock Cars.

Top man!

Hi i have just joined and i have browsed a few posts and it brought back a few memories
I new Willy Harrison in the fiftys when we used to run together on the coal run from pits to power stations .
His dad had a yard at the side of tinsley rolling mills at the back of Tinsley WMClub
Willy drove a ATYPE BEDFORD i had a OTYPE BEDFORD i worked for Joe Emmins on clay street in Attercliffe

bedfordmanotype:
Hi i have just joined and i have browsed a few posts and it brought back a few memories
I new Willy Harrison in the fiftys when we used to run together on the coal run from pits to power stations .
His dad had a yard at the side of tinsley rolling mills at the back of Tinsley WMClub
Willy drove a ATYPE BEDFORD i had a OTYPE BEDFORD i worked for Joe Emmins on clay street in Attercliffe

Welcome to the forum otype.

Joe Emmens is a blast from the past,I remember them well. :smiley:

Watched willie race at at a aycliffe,hartlepool and few tracks in yorkshire,he was also at the aycliffe get-together last year.