Wigan Transport Companies

No i am not Glynn Jones. i am from Hindley. Kirk Greennall is due down to our yard today i am sure he will have some photos

One from the area, courtesy of Ian Hale.
Oily

image.jpgAlthough Trevor Sutcliffe never became involved in general haulage per se, the company probably qualifies for inclusion in this thread due to its having been based exclusively in Wigan.

Originally located in Stopford St. at Ince, by 1982 or thereabouts, the firm had outgrown its old premises and the decision was made to relocate, the engine repair side moving down to Douglas Garage near ’ The Saddle ’ junction, while the fork lift side of the company moved into a brand new building on the Wheatlea industrial estate at Goose Green, a half mile or so from J25 of the M6 motorway.

When the company went belly up, the premises became the base for Hurst’s coaches, then when they hit the buffers, Mc Mullan moved into the place.

Incidentally Ray, since his name hasn’t been mentioned yet, let’s not forget the guy that bought Robert Baillie’s yard, Roy Whittaker. Although Roy sadly no longer moves among us, the company is still operating as far as I’m aware, but now based in Earlestown I believe. I don’t have any photos of his motors unfortunately.

Regards. Eddie.

This is my “Much Travelled” Ford Transit KU52 ZKZ in McMullans yard in Wigan, 2006.
It is at the actual spot where Eddie Heaton`s DAF and stepframe trailer is, in the
previous picture. Regards, Ray Smyth.

This Renault artic unit, Reg No. R39 GWC was owned by James Wilkinson & Son, Wigan.
It is seen here at 5A Cricket Street Business Park in 2002, John Wilkinson and I occupied
this industrial unit for many years. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Renault.jpg

Hi Ray, you may have seen this one before, I’m not sure. It’s one of Fred Rose’s from Blackrod obviously. I realise of course that Blackrod falls just outside of the Wigan boundary, but not by much.

The photograph isn’t one of mine, it belongs to Keith Beckett, and it shows Keith’s mother out for a ride in the wagon with his dad in 1956.

It was taken in the Dundee area evidently, after tipping, and on the way to reload for back home.

According to Keith, the Foden was an ex BRS motor from the Salford Cornbrook depot.

Regards. Eddie.

Ray Smyth:

Lawrence Dunbar:
IIRC, There was a firm called Midway Transport in Wigan did a bit sugar haulage, This was the 50/60s Era, Regards Larry.

Hello Lawrence, Midway Transport were based at Golborne, about 4 miles south of Wigan.
I believe they were owned by, or connected to Hills of Cardiff. They did a lot of work for
H.J.Heinz. This AEC 8 wheeler is seen passing through the Market Place in Wigan, en route
from the old Heinz factory at Standish to the “New” factory at Kitt Green, Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray, Thanks for the info, I used to see them in Wigan when delivering to a firm called Mortons of Wigan Grocers, I used to deliver Bacon there also to a one at Golbourne called Pillings, This was the 50s era, Regards Larry.

Ford Cargo 0813, Reg No. ARE 9Y, with driver Paul Roberts, parked outside his house in Ashton In Makerfield, 1988.
Paul started working for me in 1983, and remained until 2004. He passed his HGV class 1 test in 1985. Regards Ray Smyth.

ARE 9Y.png

Louis Reece Ltd from Horsmonden in Kent occupied a large section of the Wholesale Fruit & Vegetable Market
at Worthington Way, Wigan. The site included a large sales building, a cold store, a pack-house, and a room
upstairs for the overnight accommodation for the drivers arriving from Kent. This Leyland Super Comet picture
has appeared on the “Louis Reece Pictures” thread on Trucknet. Stood beside the Leyland is John Freeman(RIP),
The picture is courtesy of his son, also John Freeman. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks go to Paul and Dean for kindly suppling a copy of my Dad’s Seddon from back in the day. It will make a good Christmas present.
Merry Xmas!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Connal Transport of Maryhill, Glasgow had a depot in Wigan in the 1960s and 1970s.
They were in the former Railway Goods Yard, next to Robert Baillie Transport.
Connals main source of work via the Wigan depot was “Mazola” cooking oil from
“Brown & Polson” in Paisley, delivered to Corn Products at Trafford Park.
The return traffic to Scotland was mostly double deck bottles from Garston & St Helens.
Pictures are courtesy of Trucknet Senior Member, Eddie Heaton.

The 4 Gabled building on the right in the Connals Transport pictures was the warehouse and
depot of Robert Baillie & Co Ltd, Their main depot was at Horndean in Hampshire, before that they
were based in Portsmouth. The building was originally the “Ripening Rooms” of Fyffes Bananas.
From the late 1970s the site was developed with a large building which was MFI Furniture for many
years. More recently it became an indoor Go-Kart track, and now I believe it is a Fitness Centre.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Warburton Transport operated several lorries from the Ince area of Wigan.
The name on the Sun Visor looks like “Sugar Shack”.
Picture is courtesy of DEANB and Paul.C.Gee. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Warburton.JPG

2 more pictures of Connals Transport, seen in the yard of Robert Baillie, Wigan.
The 16ton GVW KM Bedford, ORV 126H, on the right is a Robert Baillie lorry.
Pictures are courtesy of Eddie Heaton.

Robert Baillie Transport from Horndean and Portsmouth in Hampshire had a Trunking and Shunting
operation in Wigan from 1965 until 1985 (Approx). In the early days, their depot was the former
Fyffes Bananas building on Chapel Lane, right in the Town Centre. From about 1976, they moved
to a brand new building at Worthington Way, opposite the Wholesale Fruit Market, and about 500 yards
from M6 junction 25. Picture 1 is OPN 26F, Mk 1 Atkinson, driven by Jack Webb(RIP), in the yard at
Chapel Lane. Picture 2 is the new depot at Worthington Way, with Jack McLoughlin(RIP) driving
the forklift truck. Pictures courtesy of Eddie Heaton and Tim Walker. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Scan%202.jpg

One of two ERF Artic units of James Wilkinson & Son of Wigan.
They both had Caterpillar engines, and this one is seen at
Cricket Street Business Park, Off Prescott Street, Wigan.

ERF.jpg

This Leyland Daf 45 Series Boxvan was in service with my operation from 1998 until 2003.
Regular journeys to Dundee in Scotland, and Redruth in Cornwall meant that after 5 years
and high mileage, it was due for replacement. It is seen here on the A62 near Marsden,
en route to Remploy, Huddersfield. Ray Smyth Transport, Wigan.

K933 EFL.jpg

My ex Rank Hovis trailer was away on M.O.T. so Rank Hovis at Rotherham loaned me this one for a few days.
My 28 ton GVW Ford Cargo artic, G391 ARE, was ex TI Creda (Cookers & Washers) from Blythe Bridge,
near Stoke On Trent. Regards, Ray Smyth.

G391 ARE.jpg

Its 1988, and seen here are 2 of my Curtainsiders at the depot in Leeds Street, Wigan.
The 13ton GVW TL Bedford, TVU 452X is parked near Unit 15, and the 16ton GVW Ford
D Series, VRE 401X is in front of Unit 16, which I occupied for 5 years. Units 15 and 16
are now occupied by “Plumb Center” D.I.Y, and have been for many years. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth Transport.

VRE 401X.jpg

Bedford TVU 452X.jpg

Retired HGV driver Norman Higham gave me this photo of a Stringfellow Bros furniture van.
The bodywork is built on a Leyland PS1 bus/coach chassis. It is seen here in the TA drill hall
in Powell Street, Wigan. Stringfellow Bros eventually became part of Pickfords. Ray Smyth.