Which training school

ERF-NGC-European:
I’m racking my brains to come up with a bad driving habit that doesn’t matter in the real world

One handed driving but being in control is a bad habit as it could be made SAFER by using both hands on the wheel

If I went in for a car driving test now I am sure I would fail even through I have been driving many years.

It doesn’t mean I am a bad driver its just I have picked up some bad habbits which really don’t matter in the real world.

Those comments worry me! Why wouldn’t you pass a car test? It’s the most elementary test possible and anyone should be able to pass it without problem.

Interesting that folks refer to “bad” habits. So they know the habits are “bad”. Yet they don’t matter? Fascinating. I teach the way I drive and vice versa. It’s the easiest, most relaxed and progressive method known to man. It obviously works given the zero accident rate and massive test pass rate. So, on both counts, it’s good. I drove exactly the same when I was driving full-time and made the same times as others that spent their day tearing about. But my blood pressure was lower as was my fuel consumption.

If I perceived I had a “bad” habit, I would work very very hard to shift it. But I’m an old-fashioned bod who takes a real pride in the job. It matters to me - but maybe not to others.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

ERF-NGC-European:
I’m racking my brains to come up with a bad driving habit that doesn’t matter in the real world

One handed driving but being in control is a bad habit as it could be made SAFER by using both hands on the wheel

Good example! Even after almost 50 years behind the wheel I still return my hand to the wheel between gearchanges. That’s my gold star for the morning! :smiley: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ROG:

ERF-NGC-European:

Good example! Even after almost 50 years behind the wheel I still return my hand to the wheel between gearchanges. That’s my gold star for the morning! :smiley: Robert

Me too as it feels uncomfortable and not in full control to do otherwise

Peter Smythe:

If I went in for a car driving test now I am sure I would fail even through I have been driving many years.

It doesn’t mean I am a bad driver its just I have picked up some bad habbits which really don’t matter in the real world.

Those comments worry me! Why wouldn’t you pass a car test? It’s the most elementary test possible and anyone should be able to pass it without problem.

Interesting that folks refer to “bad” habits. So they know the habits are “bad”. Yet they don’t matter? Fascinating. I teach the way I drive and vice versa. It’s the easiest, most relaxed and progressive method known to man. It obviously works given the zero accident rate and massive test pass rate. So, on both counts, it’s good. I drove exactly the same when I was driving full-time and made the same times as others that spent their day tearing about. But my blood pressure was lower as was my fuel consumption.

If I perceived I had a “bad” habit, I would work very very hard to shift it. But I’m an old-fashioned bod who takes a real pride in the job. It matters to me - but maybe not to others.

I think mainly what I was referring to here is doing a reverse park in a car, and not mounting the curb.

This is something I don’t worry about as a driver, providing there,s no one there.

In fact often I don’t reverse parking, I just front park by going right up onto the curb so as to get my car positioned right.

I tend to have the opinion providing its not dangerous its ok.

But there is a reason why reverse parking is done like this.

Tseal:

Peter Smythe:

I think mainly what I was referring to here is doing a reverse park in a car, and not mounting the curb.

This is something I don’t worry about as a driver, providing there,s no one there.

In fact often I don’t reverse parking, I just front park by going right up onto the curb so as to get my car positioned right.

I tend to have the opinion providing its not dangerous its ok.

But there is a reason why reverse parking is done like this.

Parallel parking is hardly rocket science and many of us have even had to parallel park artics. Mounting the curb to park is ill-advised for a number of reasons including the damage it does to the tyres (particularly the walls), the damage done to the kerb and the damage done to utility services beneath the pavement. As a tax payer you have to pick up the tabs for all three. Regarding danger, hardly a day goes by when someone doesn’t try and run over my foot while executing this manoevre. Not long ago you never ever saw it: now it seems commonplace. I never do it! Robert

IMO it comes back to professionalism and pride in the job. Having accepted that you’re not that good at reversing, why not practice until you get it sorted?

I failed my first car test on reverse round a corner (managed to hit a letter box as forgot to straighten up!) but practiced till I got it right. And then keep taking the opportunity to maintain the skill.

There seems to be a “it’ll do” attitude coming into the industry and, sorry, I struggle with that. In my book everyone should strive to be the best they possibly can be.

Tseal:
Some of the things I had to do training for my cat c seemed stupid, such as checking my mirrors again and again as I accelerated and again and again as I slowed down.

This isn’t stupid - it’s crucial!! Your driving a large vehicle with limited all round visibility so using mirrors is absolutely necessary!!!

Tseal:
Another was having to check my blind spot every time I moved off (even if stopped at traffic lights) I cant see the point of this.

You’d see the point very very quickly if you run over someone in your blind spot

Tseal:

This is something I don’t worry about as a driver, providing there,s no one there…

…I tend to have the opinion providing its not dangerous its ok.

These two comments alone mean you seriously need to assess your driving skills ( and mindset ) not just for LGV driving but in general

I don’t know you but these comments and apparent nonchalant attitude would have me thinking twice about employment as an LGV driver.

As driver of a large vehicle with multiple blind spots and limited turning - forward planning and adjusting for other road users is a given if you want to get through the day without issue.

If you want to go for CE do it but as well as the training for the vehicle you need to adjust mentally for it.

dcgpx:

Tseal:
Some of the things I had to do training for my cat c seemed stupid, such as checking my mirrors again and again as I accelerated and again and again as I slowed down.

This isn’t stupid - it’s crucial!! Your driving a large vehicle with limited all round visibility so using mirrors is absolutely necessary!!!

Tseal:
Another was having to check my blind spot every time I moved off (even if stopped at traffic lights) I cant see the point of this.

You’d see the point very very quickly if you run over someone in your blind spot

Tseal:

This is something I don’t worry about as a driver, providing there,s no one there…

…I tend to have the opinion providing its not dangerous its ok.

These two comments alone mean you seriously need to assess your driving skills ( and mindset ) not just for LGV driving but in general

I don’t know you but these comments and apparent nonchalant attitude would have me thinking twice about employment as an LGV driver.

As driver of a large vehicle with multiple blind spots and limited turning - forward planning and adjusting for other road users is a given if you want to get through the day without issue.

If you want to go for CE do it but as well as the training for the vehicle you need to adjust mentally for it.

Yes you are right and I will.

When they taught me to check my mirrors with each gear change and check my blind spot (looking out of cab window) every time the truck moved from a standstill.

I am guessing this is to completely drill into my mind the need for checking mirrors and blind spots in a truck.

I generally demonstrate the importance of the blind spot check by standing just to the rear of the driver’s door and getting the driver to say when he can see me in his mirror. This is frequently a “light bulb moment” and hopefully will stand folks in good stead.

The fact is that I cant remember the last time anyone did blind spot checks when starting a C course. Pity because everyone has to do them for their car test. So I have come to the conclusion that this is amongst the first things ditched after passing.

I am a really old fashioned professional driver and I make no apologies for that. Anyone who is taught by me will be trained to drive as well as they possibly can. Its nothing to do with passing a test. That’s just an hour. Your driving career could be 40 years. So reasonably important to get that right I would have thought.

Don’t beat yourself up because you haven’t realised the importance of some topics. Some of this may well be down to the way your were taught to start with. If I’m learning something it’s no good someone just telling me what to do or telling me that I wont pass a test if I don’t do it. I need the positive reasons and explanations. Then it makes sense and it’s easy to learn.

Peter Smythe:
I generally demonstrate the importance of the blind spot check by standing just to the rear of the driver’s door and getting the driver to say when he can see me in his mirror. This is frequently a “light bulb moment” and hopefully will stand folks in good stead.

The fact is that I cant remember the last time anyone did blind spot checks when starting a C course. Pity because everyone has to do them for their car test. So I have come to the conclusion that this is amongst the first things ditched after passing.

I am a really old fashioned professional driver and I make no apologies for that. Anyone who is taught by me will be trained to drive as well as they possibly can. Its nothing to do with passing a test. That’s just an hour. Your driving career could be 40 years. So reasonably important to get that right I would have thought.

Don’t beat yourself up because you haven’t realised the importance of some topics. Some of this may well be down to the way your were taught to start with. If I’m learning something it’s no good someone just telling me what to do or telling me that I wont pass a test if I don’t do it. I need the positive reasons and explanations. Then it makes sense and it’s easy to learn.

Hello Pete

On my driving tests (I had three) for my cat c, I was slightly confused about the rules of checking blind spots. Checking a blind spot such as pulling away at traffic signals can actually serve as a distraction (if it mean looking out of the cab window).

Checking mirrors for cyclists (who may be alongside your truck)on the other had certainly I can see the sense in that.

I am not sure if this is the right place to write this, but do you still have the offer of buying the (fail once get three retests free) insurance

regards Tim.

Yes, Pass Protection is available at £300 and covers the costs of 3 retests. More to the point, it takes some of the pressure out of the test.

Peter Smythe:
Yes, Pass Protection is available at £300 and covers the costs of 3 retests. More to the point, it takes some of the pressure out of the test.

Is there a time limit on when I could do retests ?(assuming I didn’t pass first time). I could only get to Mansfield on a few occasions throughout the year.

There are conditions applicable. Quite simply, if anyone was to fail a test and then wait 6 months for a retest, the chances of passing are vastly reduced. I truthfully cant recall the time limits but if you send me a pm with your contact details I’ll make sure you get them.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
There are conditions applicable. Quite simply, if anyone was to fail a test and then wait 6 months for a retest, the chances of passing are vastly reduced. I truthfully cant recall the time limits but if you send me a pm with your contact details I’ll make sure you get them.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Are you quite flexible on the days you can take a retest ?

I reckon I could get one day off a week (every day but Sunday and Monday).

We always have tests Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and sometimes Friday as well. So no real issue.

Peter Smythe:
We always have tests Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and sometimes Friday as well. So no real issue.

Ok thanks