Which RDC's do you hate visiting the most?

4hrs to tip, phah… we ain’t got to the Xmas rush yet, then your looking at 5-8hr waits lol

I’d like to know the legal standing of those “By entering this site you consent to searches”.

By my uneducated understanding, clauses like that only hold water if you have a viable choice. I.e. if you can choose not to enter the site… we can’t practically do that.

slowlane:
I’d like to know the legal standing of those “By entering this site you consent to searches”.

By my uneducated understanding, clauses like that only hold water if you have a viable choice. I.e. if you can choose not to enter the site… we can’t practically do that.

With physical searches they can’t cite prior permission by entering it onto sight rules you sign for. They have to ask your permission then and there if you consent to being searched. I had to do a searching course many many moons ago (don’t ask was to do with boring airport stuff). Never did it thank God. But remember it being emphasised that you have to ask for explicit verbal consent at the point of searching.

Not sure about vehicles and written inference of consent but doubt they cant do anything but ask. Employers have a reasonable right to search employees workspaces - I think. But you’re not their employee and your lorry is not their property. They can put it in their rules all they like. If you refuse a vehicle or personal search at a company premises they’re faced with two choices. Let you leave and argue the toss over contracts with the haulier later. Or declare a citizens arrest and detain you whilst calling the police, citing what offence they believe you have committed. If you want to go, they can’t keep you there because you’re not following a laminated set of rules they’ve dreamt up. There’s no provision for members of the public to do that to fellow members of the public.

Having a look in the cab or side lockers doesn’t bother me. I let them crack on with that.

But even though I’ve nothing to hide I’d refuse a search of myself. I’d even let them scan the hand held metal detector thing over me, but hands on me is where I’d draw the line and start asking them what law they are using and where my consent is etc

Iceland Swindon. Awful dump

switchlogic:
Iceland Swindon. Awful dump

Must be a Swindon thing as mines B&Q Swindon

Mazzer2:
Langdons at Redditch has to have the most miserable staff in the country all other Langdons seem to want to tip you and get you away yet Redditch seems the opposite from the shunter who thinks he is some sort of camp commandant to the office staff who can’t see 7 drivers standing outside of their window and to top it of today one of the goods in staff just flounced out halfway through dealing with a driver due to a comment made by another office staff member, must be a great place to work.

You’re right there! Used to regularly tip there and the misery is amazing. The shunter, tallish bald bloke is one of the most ignorant people I’ve ever met, even by shunter standards! Just completely blanks you when you greet him. Never have I met so much ignorance.

switchlogic:

Mazzer2:
Langdons at Redditch has to have the most miserable staff in the country all other Langdons seem to want to tip you and get you away yet Redditch seems the opposite from the shunter who thinks he is some sort of camp commandant to the office staff who can’t see 7 drivers standing outside of their window and to top it of today one of the goods in staff just flounced out halfway through dealing with a driver due to a comment made by another office staff member, must be a great place to work.

You’re right there! Used to regularly tip there and the misery is amazing. The shunter, tallish bald bloke is one of the most ignorant people I’ve ever met, even by shunter standards! Just completely blanks you when you greet him. Never have I met so much ignorance.

Aye the competition is tough for the most ignorant shunter but he wins it hands down

Kwik Save Newport.
It has been a while, since I have been on general haulage . . thank frec.

Anything to do with Amazon is ■■■.

Lancsdriver70:

Rowley010:
Are they actually allowed to pat you down? Police need special powers for that. What gives minimum wage jumped up security man the right to do it without consent? Surely the fact I’m doing my job by being on the sight doesn’t automatically mean I have to consent to a pat down? Especially if I’ve not been told before I enter the site

I don’t know what our security staff’s rules and guidelines are…but when I first started at the depot, on my first day (before I was
given a company uniform)…they didn’t know who I was, and presumed that I was a visitor. I was told that day to empty my pockets,
show them the contents of my bag…and given a pat down.

I haven’t been given a pat down since then…because they know me, and know that I work there…but it does happen randomly
to site visitors.

Regarding the police and “pat downs”, me and my 3 sons (along with most of the travelling Wigan Athletic supporters) …were all given
“pat downs” outside Blackpool’s ground last Saturday…before we could enter Bloomfield Rd. If you’re an “away” football supporter…it happens at most grounds.

Getting searched at football grounds is an entirely different situation, you are being searched for offensive weapons.
I don’t mind the guys who just look in your cab as a formality, they usually say something like ‘‘Just a quick look in your cab drive for the benefit of that camera’’ I haven’t got a problem with that, they are just being seen to be doing their job, a formality.
But a ‘‘Pat Down’’ ■■ :open_mouth:… Not a chance in hell, that IS a new one on me… I’m a driver not a bloody criminal,.and I won’t be treated like one.

Answer to question… I hate all rdc.s, but thankfully I rarely do them.

Harry Monk:
Anything to do with Amazon is ■■■.

Not done an Amazon yet but my new firm has just got a contract with them so no doubt it’ll come. Heard you might have some spare tine while waiting there lol

torque leeds complete dump and a weird security person.

The older Amazon at Coalville. Permanent pool of ■■■■ across the entire width of the ■■■■-trough, spending sometimes 2-3 hours on those cheapest-of-cheap plastic seats where the backs bend backwards, with the worst coffee in the land, and every Bogdan and Slobavich talking non-stop on their phones, with the screeching of the staff walkie-talkies drives me round the bend. My soul feels destroyed by the time my keys are handed back.

All of them, they have done more than their share of ruining the transport game.

Luckily i’ve only had to visit them a handful of times over the last 40 years, hopefully that happy situation will continue till me time’s up.

I’ve worked out of a few, on me short agency stints and full time when worked for Kwik Save, but in most cases the job is completely different when you are working there, you get the odd ■■■■ ed but they’re perma ■■■■ eds anyway and just be thankful you aint the poor sap that has to live with them :unamused:

No matter the pay offered i could not do as so many lads on this forum have to, go to these dumps as a visitor regularly.

It’s mostly…

All I do these days. If it’s not an RDC it’s some large tray wash facility with similar PITA rules.

Like most things, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. It’s exactly the same as when I first did the London markets all those years ago. Until you became a regular face, the job was awful. No one would help, forklifts and vans always in your way, gobby traders and grumpy security. Then after a few weeks, those same traders would be more approachable until the job became an absolute doddle.

I can sit in my cab in most of them and suffer the waiting rooms of the ones I can’t with my tablet, a downloaded film or TV programme and some earphones. I don’t like that any more than the next man but, me having a verbal punch-up at the gates ain’t gonna change things. Tesco and Morrisons have done away with security guards anyway now.

I’ve found that most that most of the ones I go to, I’m in and out of in about an hour.

I tried semi retirement a year ago (containers) but the RDC’s as well as the the boredom got intolerable so it didn’t last. How you lads that do RDC work day in day out cope with it I don’t know, maybe you stop outside, zone out then proceed to enter with brain running at 50% capacity?

Brenntagg Trafford Park, 3 HR tip, thats after you’ve waited on double yellows outside for 30 mins waiting to get inside the gates, forklift blokes with small ■■■■ syndrome going running to the office if you forget to wear your glasses, not even mentioning the bods in ORANGE high vis- Christ well done them lads have definetley made it in life.

Yep guess where I am waiting for a load right now…

Telt:

Rowley010:

Freight Dog:
I wouldn’t consent to being “patted down” on the way out. Especially by one of the brand that inhabit security boxes at these places. A lot can barely muster up manners let alone have the right to touch me up. It’s not exactly safety like at ports or football grounds, it’s in case you’ve knicked anything like a pallet of marrows hidden in your back pocket.

It would be a no from me.

You can’t say someone agrees to a physical search just by entering it on the rules leaflet. You still have to ask permission before and people can refuse. Difference is searching on entry means they just won’t be allowed in. Not sure what they’d do on the way out. They can’t legally detain you unless they believe you to have stolen something whilst they call the police. In short I’d just tell them politely to ■■■■ off.

Exactly. They can’t just go around searching people on the way out. If they have a genuine belief you have stolen something they would need to detain you officially until the police arrive. If he did that to me I’ll tell 100% I would not be moving my truck away from blocking the barriers and it will take the police about 2 hours to come for something like that.

I had something like this at The Range RDC in Avonmouth. After they tried to refuse a load booked for 1900 at 1905 (thankfully my office managed to talk them out of this) despite the place being empty the gatehouse told me I had to press this wee button on the way out:

“If it brings up a green light you’re good to go but if it comes up red I’ll need to search your cab.”

I told him I’d happily press the button if it got me out quicker but there was no way he’d be coming in my cab whatever the outcome. It came up green so an impasse was avoided but [zb] knows how far they’d have been willing to take it had it been red.

Basically using a random computer test to effectively accuse people of robbing them. [zb] bizarre.

Yes ive been to this depot they dont really have a clue in there as they are a new depot office staff warehouse both have no idea. it took me 2 hours to tip 7 pallets. On the plus side you can wait in your cab and this is a bonus to be fair compared to some of the other places . I pressed the button it goes red No problem they just search your passengerside. I dont have a problem with this as we are sometimes delivering high value goods
Where I do have a problem but working for tesco everytime I left after a hard shift and spending my hard earned on a meal at the end of it I would be searched regular tesco drivers they just wave them through. What am I going to - a load of ham sandwachies or some frozen ready meal for the way home tesco regular drivers a sneaky pork pie yet the emplyed drivers always caried travel bags yet they are waved through. I once refused and they threatend that I would be banned from all tescos depots for refusing so i said ol and never worked for them again.

Apparently our lot purchased land near Bedford over the summer, and are in the process of building what they say will be the “largest RDC in the UK”…expected to be completed and in operation sometime late 2018!