What was so good about Atkinsons?

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This one was new to Smiles in 1963, 150 Gardner & a 6 speed David Brown gearbox, IIRC They ran it for 8 years, Regards Larry.

Nice to see the old Smiles for Miles again. I worked for them briefly driving eight-legger tippers shipping quarry stone to the new motorways being built in the area at the time.

The boss’s son was in charge and he was a complete pain to deal with and took an instant dislike to me. One time the hydraulic ram broke on another driver’s eight-legger and it punched a hole straight through the cab. It was fully loaded with sand so I jumped up on the back with a shovel and started to unload the sand. Shortly after the boss’s son turned up and started to berate me for breaking the ram. I quietly pointed out that my lorry was parked alongside and perfectly OK. He seemed to think that no one would try to unload 18 tonnes of sand without being told. In those days I could unload 20 tonnes of sand by hand without breaking a sweat.

Anyway, I left shortly after and started with Freeway Haulage of Dunston as a shunter.

5Tony5:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This one was new to Smiles in 1963, 150 Gardner & a 6 speed David Brown gearbox, IIRC They ran it for 8 years, Regards Larry.

Nice to see the old Smiles for Miles again. I worked for them briefly driving eight-legger tippers shipping quarry stone to the new motorways being built in the area at the time.

The boss’s son was in charge and he was a complete pain to deal with and took an instant dislike to me. One time the hydraulic ram broke on another driver’s eight-legger and it punched a hole straight through the cab. It was fully loaded with sand so I jumped up on the back with a shovel and started to unload the sand. Shortly after the boss’s son turned up and started to berate me for breaking the ram. I quietly pointed out that my lorry was parked alongside and perfectly OK. He seemed to think that no one would try to unload 18 tonnes of sand without being told. In those days I could unload 20 tonnes of sand by hand without breaking a sweat.

Anyway, I left shortly after and started with Freeway Haulage of Dunston as a shunter.

I think you’ve got a bit mixed up there Tone ! it would have been Smiles Great Nephew you are on about, he was a right ■■■■ by all accounts !! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

5Tony5:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi “5Tony5”, What year did you drive for Smiles ?, Regards Larry.

I have to say I’ve never been a fan of Atkinsons, having driven a few of them over the years. This thread reminded me, tho; who was that fellow up Humberside way who ran a couple of six wheel units with most unusual full-depth sleeper cabs in a good-looking green livery. They were always very clean and smart from what I remember and I don’t know what powered them because they always went like s**t! (I know I could never keep up with them on the M62). I think he then went on to have a Strato, but then seemed to fade into oblivion.

Anyone on here remember these lorries?

Steve

5Tony5:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ye Gods Tony,you didn’t last long in a job did you??

David

5Tony5:

Lawrence Dunbar:
This one was new to Smiles in 1963, 150 Gardner & a 6 speed David Brown gearbox, IIRC They ran it for 8 years, Regards Larry.

Did you drive one of these old Akis when you were at Smilers, Regards Larry.

This 1942 6 wheeler was recabed, It had a 6 LW Gardner engine, Adams ran it up till the 60s, Regards Larry.

Yes, I drove an old Atki eight-legger tipper with no power steering and an old wooden tipper body. The job wasn’t for me as I preferred Class 1 work with fast modern lorries.

5Tony5:
Yes, I drove an old Atki eight-legger tipper with no power steering and an old wooden tipper body. The job wasn’t for me as I preferred Class 1 work with fast modern lorries.

1st time I took one similar out loaded there were much rocking n rolling, creaking n cracking and you could,ve cracked a walnut betwixt my cheeks, steady vicar after that.

My first experience of Atkinson lorries was early 1970,when I started
work for Robert Baillie Transport of Portsmouth,based at their Wigan
depot. Most of the lorries were Atkinson Mk1 and Mk2, with 150 or 180
Gardner engines,David Brown 6 Speed G/box,& Kirkstall back axles.
Mr Baillie said that he wanted vehicles that were very reliable,and
also economical, one reason being that 90% of our work was fresh
produce from the Channel Islands, and Brittany in France.
Some good Atkinson comments on this thread, particularly from
Dennis in ■■■■■■■■ I remember his neck of the woods being Westmorland
and Lancashire (Detached),and the M6 ended just past Carnforth.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Scan.jpg

Scan%2011.jpg

Is there a specific thread on “Old Time Lorries” for John Raymond Transport of Bridgend ■■
These pictures are courtesy of Geraint Davies of John Raymond Transport.

Cawthorn & Sinclair rang a lot of these Atkis, Regards Larry.

I drove this from new in 1959/60, A gaffers motor, Good on fuel , It had a 4LW Gardner engine with a 5 speed David Brown gear box, Not the best of pullers mind you, But it did the job plus the wages were good, Old Baxter like the good fuel results, Regards Larry.

Shot at Corley Services Southbound one Sunday 1973 changing over with our then Gravesend Atki. This was before I bought McGuffie Transport as that McGuffie unit was on it’s way unit only to Dagenham to tip a load of new 45 gal drums they had left on the previous Friday ! The mind boggled ! no wonder he was glad to sell his flat platform operation ! couldn’t run a function in a brewery. Cheers Dennis.

Article about refurbishing a Atkinson from 1976.

Click on page twice to magnify for reading.

DEANB:
Article about refurbishing a Atkinson from 1976.

Click on page twice to magnify for reading.

And here as it is now:

Atkinson VPG 235G by Transport Snapper, on Flickr

This is my only Atkinson I “drive” these days!

image.jpeg

Ray Smyth:
Is there a specific thread on “Old Time Lorries” for John Raymond Transport of Bridgend ■■
These pictures are courtesy of Geraint Davies of John Raymond Transport.

That is a classic shot of the JR 240LXB coupled to the coiler ! Great! it is a bit after the time I used to be down in S.Wales on the Brady Octopus & trailer, that JR Atki being “K” reg would have been one of the first out with the 240 LXB engine. I can recall when the 180LXB came out and JR got some of those first but we could “walk” past those up the M5 but the Octopus would have struggled a bit to tackle the 240LXBs I guess :frowning: but then we had moved into the next decade and times and engine power had increased a bit ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.