What is maximum mileage?

I see a few OD’s posting here, some of which have bought/looked at second-hand trucks.

My question is, at what mileage reading would you not buy the truck?

I know that there may be variables i.e. service history but does it really make a big difference?

i personally wouldn’t consider mileage as important unless i was buying nearly new which is something i’d never do, simply because i believe you make more money out of a good old’n than an expensive new’n.

My Gaffer who is an owner driver bought me a motor last november and the mileometer has just clicked onto 980000 today :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: and believe me it drives like a dream

simon

So taking into account the replies so far, is this Eurostar and trailer a reasonable deal?*

(*This is just one ‘random’ example.)

the iveco n trailer seems a lot of kit for ten grand although i know nothing about em! as for the scania, who’d pay twenty grand for something on ebay?

Well it’s been relisted again with a lower Buy-It-Now price!! :open_mouth:

With 591998 kms on the clock, you wouldn’t be put of then??

marcustandy:
Well it’s been relisted again with a lower Buy-It-Now price!! :open_mouth:

With 591998 kms on the clock, you wouldn’t be put of then??

Buying off ebay has it’s problems and this truck could well be a lemon but I think if I was looking to be a O/O I would take the chance & buy it (my opinion) If it turned out to be a nail then i’d relist it.

Bully

the eurostar looks like an ex- murffitts but wouldnt be interested in the scania looks like someone else has had the best of it on forestry work.

I considered that Eurostar and trailer when I was looking a few weeks ago.
Thing is, you don’t know what you’re buying do you?
if it is a half-decent outfit, what the [zb] is it doing on eBay??
:confused:
As for mileage, anything over 600000 needs careful consideration.

ianyng:

I was just using that vehicle as an example (it was easy as I already had the link! :blush: ), however, the main question I am trying to get across was with regard to mileage.

I have seen on sites from some of the ‘bigger’ sellers of ‘newer’ trucks, mileages in excess of 600,000 for units that look to be in good order and are not actually that old, certainly less than 5 years. The price tag on them put them in a higher bracket than I had imagined most new OD’s setting up would want to pay!! :open_mouth:

ianyng:
Thing is, you don’t know what you’re buying do you?
if it is a half-decent outfit, what the [zb] is it doing on eBay??
:confused:
As for mileage, anything over 600000 needs careful consideration.

couldn’t you say that about any second hand wagon?
i certainly wouldn’t take any dealer at his word!

So when you bought your truck Paul, did you use the services of a experienced fitter/mechanic to look it over or did you ‘take a chance’■■

If you didn’t have a ‘friend’ who would take a look for now’t, what would you expext to have to pay for that kind of inspection, and is it likely to be cost effective?

my DAF had done 660000k when I bought it in July 2003, it’s a X reg :open_mouth:

cost me £15k (4x2 artic when I bought it, 6x2 rigid now)

I did take a mechanic with me when I looked at it though!

when i bought my current wagon i trusted my self to check it out and luckily it’s been a good,n which has needed very little maintainence in the last six months other than the regular stuff like tyres etc but it was a cheap’n at £9,000 if i was spending more than that i’d defffinately want it checked over by a machanic preferably over a pit especially if it was coming with just a few months test on it.
dennis, do reckon it was cost effective to stretch an artic to get the wagon that was right for the job?

paul b:
dennis, do reckon it was cost effective to stretch an artic to get the wagon that was right for the job?

probably, although by the time it was finished being stretched, painted and had a flat body built it had cost me £30k ! The only real alternative was to buy new :open_mouth: The problem was there weren’t any second hand 6 wheelers about with a 28ft flat, rear lift axle and a short Wheelbase ( which is essential for access to the farms round here). We spent 6 months looking :exclamation:

when you buy a truck be realistic about what you need buy for your bussiness and not your ego at freightliner leeds theres a lot of subbies with older low cabs trucks because they dont do nights out and use hardly any diesal cos its all low mileage work. have a good look at certain places for ex- royal mail or telecom or other companys like that cos they are maintained in tip top condition no expense spared i know drivers who have bought them and said they have come with brand new tyres and air lines on.

Denis F:

paul b:

probably, although by the time it was finished being stretched, painted and had a flat body built it had cost me £30k ! The only real alternative was to buy new :open_mouth: The problem was there weren’t any second hand 6 wheelers about with a 28ft flat, rear lift axle and a short Wheelbase ( which is essential for access to the farms round here). We spent 6 months looking :exclamation:

i’ve toyed with the idea myself, £4-5,000 for the stretch and another £3,000 for the body just wondered if it wouldn’t be easier cheaper to alter the whellbase on an existing rigid?
must admit, i like the idea of a big engine and the extra refinements you can get with an artic unit plus your building something thats bang right for the job.