What does this sign mean?

commonrail:
not unless it`s a harrier :wink:

We sold them all to the Yanks(Marine Corps) they’re now telling anyone who’ll listen about this wonderful “airplane” developed by the good ole USA :cry:

Having lived in Macclesfield for 12 years and worked on recovery over the cat and fiddle, I can assure you that they do indeed use a light plane to catch speeders! Usually only during the better weather, apparantly they use this rather than a helicopter as it can cope with worse weather and is much cheaper to run. Not so much call for it these days scince they installed the average speed cameras but rumour has it these don’t actually work!

commonrail:
you`ll do well to average 50 on the twistier section anyway…so a complete waste of time imo

In the 80’s, we’d block the Buxton end for a few mins to clear our lane, climbing the hill we’d mostly stick to that lane & I reckon we’d be averaging 50-60. It’s point & squirt riding up the hill & the boys still on the 350elsies could easily beat the big CC Gpz’s & Gsxr’s.

Once on the top, you can see all the way to the Cat. If nothing is coming from Macclesfield then you could open her up, using all the road & really let her sing. I count one of my greatest memories as the first time I ever beat my mates to the Cat on my brand spanking GPz 900r in '84. A perfect ride, hit the top of the hill in 3rd or 4th place then humiliated them by hitting 150+, full throttle & flat out almost all the way.

Top dog. Riding God.

We never lost anyone on the Cat, but I’d buried 8 mates before I hit 30. We used to like the funerals, bikers tend to have big funerals 'cos it’s a chance for us all to get together & have a wake for a fellow warrior !

I never contemplated my own mortality until the bestest friend I ever had died in my arms because of a mistake I made. I obstinately refused to back off to let him have the corner & clipped his rear wheel sending him into a weave that ended up in a parked car at 100+. He was to be the best man at my wedding 2 weeks later.

I still ride but the current missus seldom lets me out solo, in case the red mist descends & once more I abandon any sense of my own mortality.

If you’ve never ‘scratched’, if you’ve never thrown a performance motorcycle into a corner at silly speeds, then you’ll never, ever understand.

I understand chas :wink:

i was never really interested in the first bit…from buxton to the pub.
afer the pub,through to Macclesfield was my favourite,especially the return run through walker barn…where you look behind the farm house to see if the road is clear.
maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.258641 … 29.97,0,0

shuttlespanker:

nickyboy:
a helicopter can fly slower than a plane, to prove this, can a plane hover over the same spot? :wink:

a harrier jump jet? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: but then it has to land! :wink:

shuttlespanker:

nickyboy:
Anyways they normally use planes not choppers, planes are not only cheaper but can fly slowly and use a lot less fuel.

I’d be very surprised if they actually use them however, its not like the USA where you can have straight roads for hundreds of miles.

a helicopter can fly slower than a plane, to prove this, can a plane hover over the same spot? :wink:

Yes but the plane can fly for longer and uses less fuel.
A helicopter will use 30% more fuel hovering than it will moving forward.
A plane generates its own lift while travelling forward. A helicopter has to create its own lift AND forward momentum making it much less efficient.

m1cks:
A plane generates its own lift while travelling forward. A helicopter has to create its own lift AND forward momentum making it much less efficient.

Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right? :wink:

chester:

m1cks:

Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right? :wink:

Road bends to the left :neutral_face:

nickyboy:
Could be worse

Anyways they normally use planes not choppers, planes are not only cheaper but can fly slowly and use a lot less fuel.

I’d be very surprised if they actually use them however, its not like the USA where you can have straight roads for hundreds of miles.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You won’t get any speeding tanks around there I guess! :smiley:

means they got a bear in the air

Chas:
Legally it doesn’t mean anything.

Theoretically, they are reinforcing a propaganda campaign against (mainly motorcyclists) speeding near the Cat & Fiddle.

They want you to believe that the force helicopter can measure your speed over a set distance, they are fools.

They might have stopped the born agains & the wannabees from killing themselves (& the sheep), but they haven’t solved their problem.

It used to be a good ride out for me & my ilk. RIP the Cat & Fiddle, long live the Via Gellia.

That is why we now have mobile speed traps on the cat &fiddle and via gellia as well, both roads are close to where I live as well as the a 515 which is now a 50 mph limit and also has mobile cameras quite often
to ride a bike on the limit up or down the via gellia you must be “puddled” due to the road surface often being damp and with the amount of trucks using that route spillages combined with the often damp surface means it’s often quite greasy!
another thing is when there is an accident it often involves another road user who may not be aware how fast bikes travel on these local roads, if the accidents only involved the bikers I don’t think the locals would mind that much but the fact is if you travel these routes over the summer months or bank holiday weekends you need eyes in your arse!
if your not looking out for the bikers you need to keep a keen eye for camera vans!
cheers

The Via Gellia road is a ■■■■ good road on bike if ridden carefully, but as Moose says you must be puddled to ride it flat out. The amount of bikes that have crashed on there is frightening, the road is always covered in limestone dust which when damp has all the grip properties of a tub of grease, mix this with the spills from diesel tanks and you might as well ride on ice.

splitshift:

commonrail:
not unless it`s a harrier :wink:

We sold them all to the Yanks(Marine Corps) they’re now telling anyone who’ll listen about this wonderful “airplane” developed by the good ole USA :cry:

they went to Canada, saw them rebranded with the maple leaf on the back ,training at wittering

Just remember i have always been after a car than can travel really fast but have not found one that can out run a radio yet and on the cat and fiddle they also sit in the vas cars just around a bend and catch you red handed this road is leathal my advice stick to your speed limit or even below it that road will take you in less than a heart beat.

rgt1973:
Having lived in Macclesfield for 12 years and worked on recovery over the cat and fiddle, I can assure you that they do indeed use a light plane to catch speeders! Usually only during the better weather, apparantly they use this rather than a helicopter as it can cope with worse weather and is much cheaper to run. Not so much call for it these days scince they installed the average speed cameras but rumour has it these don’t actually work!

In yet another cost-cutting exercise they’ve now sold the “slow” aircraft and are sharing a helicopter with a neighbouring force.