What car do you drive?

knight2:
It must be said I have a strange taste in cars having a beach buggy( got stuck on a beach :blush: :blush: ) and a bond bug, power sliding it around corners could make the passengers turn a very funny colour. .

Yep I like odd cars. VX220 was a reasonably odd, certainly driving it was an experience :smiley: But as too odd little vehicles, I liked the look of the Renault Twizzy. Lack of doors/space and three dogs meant it was never going to happen!

eagerbeaver:
Current BEAVERMOBILE :sunglasses:

Very nice, black (or white) are definitely the colours to have. The wife wants one of those Evoque things, so we had a look around the local showroom, I fell in love with a Velar, what a stunning looking motor they are, I want one so much, unfortunately I have had no enquiries to my kidney for sale advert on Ebay, so it ain’t happening. I did hint to my beloved, bless her, that for Evoque money she could have a Dodge Charger SRT392, but I got “the look” so that’s off the table too.

They’re a bit nice though.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

eagerbeaver:
NEW BEAVERMOBILE. Fasten yer seatbelt Momma :wink: (Comes complete with Recaro Club sport shell seats for drivers with a strong spine :grimacing: )

You’re going the wrong way! You start with a hooligans car, then go to the Audi and then to a Range Rover [emoji16][emoji16]

They are mental those things, a mate has just got a Golf R and that’s supposedly a softer alternative to the RS, he has buyer remorse and the RS is the reason. I sat in one at the local Ford dealer, it was a bit snug to say the least, but it made me come over all Colin McRae, I would get in a lot of trouble with one of them, it’s a shame there’s no bends here, if there was I would be very tempted. Very tempted.

Looked at a couple of RRs to replace my wifes Grand Cherokee, both dealers quietly told me to walk away, they don’t seem to work that well over here. Lucky escape fella

Yeah I’ve heard the horror stories, a mate here had a secondhand Sport and it cost a fortune to keep on the road, suspension problems mainly. I don’t think the Evoque is anywhere near as complicated underneath though and her indoors doesn’t do many miles, just pottering around town really, if we go anywhere it’s in my motor and as there’s ■■■■ all to do around here I’ve only put 20k miles on that since I got it in Nov 2014.

A new Evoque is around $65-70k for a decent spec, that surprised me, not the price itself, although that’s twice the price of a Ford Escape, but the ■■■■ poor basic offering, I expected a RR to be fully loaded, just a choice between a sport and luxury model and what colour you wanted, but almost everything you want is an option.

You could easily get up in to the $80k range if you got carried away ticking boxes. You could get a fully loaded F Pace Jag with a supercharged V6 for that kind of money, or even a used full sized RR, or my suggestion of a Charger and 3 weeks in Sandals Barbados and still have change, but the Evoque interior was styled by Victoria Beckham and that changes everything apparently. Women!!!

newmercman:
Yeah I’ve heard the horror stories, a mate here had a secondhand Sport and it cost a fortune to keep on the road, suspension problems mainly. I don’t think the Evoque is anywhere near as complicated underneath though and her indoors doesn’t do many miles, just pottering around town really, if we go anywhere it’s in my motor and as there’s [zb] all to do around here I’ve only put 20k miles on that since I got it in Nov 2014.

A new Evoque is around $65-70k for a decent spec, that surprised me, not the price itself, although that’s twice the price of a Ford Escape, but the ■■■■ poor basic offering, I expected a RR to be fully loaded, just a choice between a sport and luxury model and what colour you wanted, but almost everything you want is an option.

You could easily get up in to the $80k range if you got carried away ticking boxes. You could get a fully loaded F Pace Jag with a supercharged V6 for that kind of money, or even a used full sized RR, or my suggestion of a Charger and 3 weeks in Sandals Barbados and still have change, but the Evoque interior was styled by Victoria Beckham and that changes everything apparently. Women!!!

That depends on who you ask!

uk.motor1.com/news/173830/victo … er-evoque/

IMO that’s a pretty good reason NOT to buy one.

newmercman:

eagerbeaver:
NEW BEAVERMOBILE. Fasten yer seatbelt Momma :wink: (Comes complete with Recaro Club sport shell seats for drivers with a strong spine :grimacing: )

You’re going the wrong way! You start with a hooligans car, then go to the Audi and then to a Range Rover [emoji16][emoji16]

They are mental those things, a mate has just got a Golf R and that’s supposedly a softer alternative to the RS, he has buyer remorse and the RS is the reason. I sat in one at the local Ford dealer, it was a bit snug to say the least, but it made me come over all Colin McRae, I would get in a lot of trouble with one of them, it’s a shame there’s no bends here, if there was I would be very tempted. Very tempted.

I had a Golf R a couple of years ago, but it wouldn’t get near the RS. Mine is a FPM 375 version, 4.5 seconds to 60.

The only other car I’ve had that would live with it (in the dry) was my Jag XKR 5.0 V8 Supercharged monster (500 bhp). Absolutely useless in the wet though, a diesel Fiesta would beat it :laughing:

Captain Caveman 76:

newmercman:
Yeah I’ve heard the horror stories, a mate here had a secondhand Sport and it cost a fortune to keep on the road, suspension problems mainly. I don’t think the Evoque is anywhere near as complicated underneath though and her indoors doesn’t do many miles, just pottering around town really, if we go anywhere it’s in my motor and as there’s [zb] all to do around here I’ve only put 20k miles on that since I got it in Nov 2014.

That depends on who you ask!

uk.motor1.com/news/173830/victo … er-evoque/

IMO that’s a pretty good reason NOT to buy one.

I hear what you’re saying there! But it looks like they only let her play with the colouring crayons on 400 of them? And it seems they’ve got loads of publicity from the exercise. Happened years back and here we are talking about it!
I too thought she did more on the styling side of things: the waistline/window-line being so high is … challenging? I came up with a pitch for Dragon’s Den:
Kids in back can’t see out the side windows so I was going to install a screen in the rear door card and have a camera on the outside. The budget version featured a hacksaw and a piece of perspex. Didn’t win.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Captain Caveman I owe you one mate, the Evoque is now not as desirable as it once was. I have to say it was a very nice car to drive though, much more solid than the Escape, our daughter has just bought one of those, it’s nice, but it’s no Range Rover.

Beaver, my Charger R/T was like your Jag, it needed wipers on the side windows when the roads were anything but bone dry, a proper muscle car and lots of fun. Driving it on snow and ice was a lesson in throttle control, if you got it right it didn’t need a steering wheel lol. My current F150 is the same on regular tyres, with the added danger of its weight making stopping a scary thing, I put winter tyres on it now when the snow starts flying and the grip is amazing, in 4WD with the rear diff locked you can get off the line without any wheelspin at all. I regret the choice of engine though, I have the EcoBoost V6, it has more power and torque than the 5.0 V8, but it doesn’t make the right noise, there’s no need for a radio when you have a V8.

newmercman:

You could easily get up in to the $80k range if you got carried away ticking boxes.

While I’d be the first to defend Brit kit buying Range Rovers etc over there has never made any sense to me.The choice between that v an Escalade has to be a no brainer. :confused:

cadillac.com/crossovers-suvs/escalade-suv

That is true CF, the RR is the better car in terms of quality, but the yank iron is less fragile and much cheaper to service and repair. My F150 servicing costs less than $100 for oil, filters and a full inside and out clean, none of the imports can compete with that. Parts availability is much better too, you could go to any local big three dealer and buy all the parts you need to build a complete car.

But, if we bought cars using sensible reasoning then we would all be driving around in a Kia or Hyundai. I want to get in my car with a smile on my face and get out with an even bigger smile and sensible buying decisions don’t have that effect.

newmercman:
if we bought cars using sensible reasoning then we would all be driving around in a Kia or Hyundai. I want to get in my car with a smile on my face and get out with an even bigger smile and sensible buying decisions don’t have that effect.

Escalade for the winter and a V12 Jag for the summer.A V8 will never sound like this. :smiley: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=vy5t8ttmC1o

Only 355hp out of all those cubes! It does sound nice, but that’s about it, all noise, no poke. My F150 would ■■■■ all over that with half a ton in the box.

newmercman:
Only 355hp out of all those cubes! It does sound nice, but that’s about it, all noise, no poke. My F150 would ■■■■ all over that with half a ton in the box.

To be fair they were never really about big power per litre,which has it’s own under stressed advantages and that’s only 5.3 on the standard single throttle bodies.It isn’t that difficult or expensive to take it up to 7.0 litre + with nothing more than a crank change and a piston and liner kit and more specific power output with some warmer cams and even some bigger valves.While the Le Mans race motors managed more than 100 hp per litre in ultimate tune.

Although sadly no longer possible as I did to walk into the local Jag parts stockist and walk out with a new 6.0 litre TWR XJRS lump sold at a big discount and then use the spare cash to fit some nice weber manifolds and an ITB kit and up to date distributorless management system.Which provides around as much power and more torque than an E39 M5 but without all the variable valve timing aggro and sounds even better than Harry’s motor.In which case I don’t know how the F150 gets on with the half ton load,at around the 165 mph + mark,with the higher 3.06 : 1 diff than Harry’s 3.54. :smiley: :wink:

100mph limiter on the F150, or so I’m told [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Just had a few days playing in my GF’s little runaround. 3.2 V6 petrol, the noise it makes between the dry stone walls when you hit the loud pedal brought a smile to my face everytime. Right up until a Lambo launched away from some lights that is! It made a sound like the Devil was trapped in there.

the maoster:
Just had a few days playing in my GF’s little runaround. 3.2 V6 petrol, the noise it makes between the dry stone walls when you hit the loud pedal brought a smile to my face everytime. Right up until a Lambo launched away from some lights that is! It made a sound like the Devil was trapped in there.

The solution to that problem. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=NvVPkTfTDZQ

Carryfast:

the maoster:

The solution to that problem. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=NvVPkTfTDZQ

Now THAT ^^^^ is one hell of a motor car, and one hell of a fun way to remove rubber. I’ve always been a fan of big lazy and understressed engines as opposed to yer 1.2 tuned to the hilt screamer. I know which one I’d rather cross Europe in anyway!

the maoster:
Now THAT ^^^^ is one hell of a motor car, and one hell of a fun way to remove rubber. I’ve always been a fan of big lazy and understressed engines as opposed to yer 1.2 tuned to the hilt screamer. I know which one I’d rather cross Europe in anyway!

From experience the Jag 6.0 V12 with a manual box conversion isn’t too bad either. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=y7F9U8GHPd4

That’s what a Jag should be doing, they’re supposed to be the car for a chap that doesn’t stick around once the deed has been done and what better way to make an escape.

There was a conversion available for the XK8 that gave it supercar performance, I saw, or rather heard one once, coming up the little bit of dual carriageway past the BBC place heading for the A40, OMG, what a noise.